The Student Room Group

Boyfriend moving away

Hi, this seems trivial.. However I'm after some advice.
My boyfriend of 7 months has just left to work in north America for 6 months. He has reassured me that everything is fine and has made plans for coming back.
Selfishly, I'm worried about how im meant to tackle the time difference and not being able to see him. I am in my third year of university and don't know how to maintain being able to talk to him. I know that in the grand scheme of things 6 months isnt that long. It's just that additional worry of missing him or perhaps drifting apart.
Anyone who has been in a similar situation know of any solid advice or even mechanisms to stop myself worrying or getting upset.

Thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
6 months is a long time, so don't feel as though you're being unreasonable. As a guy, I'm glad if my partner opens up to me about how they're feeling towards changes in the relationship. It's not an easy transition, so I would suggest you at least talk about it with him, and make plans to regularly meet up and stay in contact.
Reply 2
Original post by High Stakes
6 months is a long time, so don't feel as though you're being unreasonable. As a guy, I'm glad if my partner opens up to me about how they're feeling towards changes in the relationship. It's not an easy transition, so I would suggest you at least talk about it with him, and make plans to regularly meet up and stay in contact.

We've talked a ridiculous amount about it, both pretty sure we want to try it out. I'm in uni and it's so expensive to get to where he is, so I don't think going out is viable. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by emky
My boyfriend of 7 months has just left to work in north America for 6 months. He has reassured me that everything is fine and has made plans for coming back.
Selfishly, I'm worried about how im meant to tackle the time difference and not being able to see him. I am in my third year of university and don't know how to maintain being able to talk to him. I know that in the grand scheme of things 6 months isnt that long. It's just that additional worry of missing him or perhaps drifting apart.
Anyone who has been in a similar situation know of any solid advice or even mechanisms to stop myself worrying or getting upset.

Thank you!

Does he have any holidays? Go visit him and ask him to visit you once.. that way youll see each other and have something to look forward to too, other than waiting 6 months.
Reply 4
Original post by emky

Thank you!

Does he have any holidays? Go visit him and ask him to visit you once.. that way youll see each other and have something to look forward to too, other than waiting 6 months.

Edit. saw your other post about money. Yeah it can definitely be expensive, but perhaps get a part time job and get enough cash for the flights?
Reply 5
Original post by beast132

Mmm he gets 2 days off a week, I did plan to go out in January.. However it's a flight from the uk to America, slap bam in the middle of my last year of uni.. kind of an awkward one! And an expensive one!
He's been iffy about me going out.. Like changing from being all for it to being unsure.
Honestly 6 months is really nothing in the long scheme of things. It sounds crap but Skype is a real life saver for long distance relationships. Communication is key.
Reply 7
Original post by beast132

Edit. saw your other post about money. Yeah it can definitely be expensive, but perhaps get a part time job and get enough cash for the flights?

That is my other option, I don't want to push going out there on him. I don't want to play the clingy girlfriend.
Reply 8
Original post by Malevolent
Honestly 6 months is really nothing in the long scheme of things. It sounds crap but Skype is a real life saver for long distance relationships. Communication is key.

So true! Think I need to seriously man up! Haha
Original post by emky
So true! Think I need to seriously man up! Haha

No it's not easy I'll give you that, both parties must be willing to make it work and make sacrifices, but what should help is that you know there's an end date to when it goes back to being a normal relationship which lots of LDR's don't have.
Reply 10
Original post by Malevolent
No it's not easy I'll give you that, both parties must be willing to make it work and make sacrifices, but what should help is that you know there's an end date to when it goes back to being a normal relationship which lots of LDR's don't have.

Yeah, that's true... I think we are both the kind of people who can't seem to keep still, need to be away doing things.. I guess if it's meant to work it will right.
Original post by emky

Thank you!

Hi, my boyfriend moved away in september. We have been dating for a year. To be honest, it wasnt what i expected. I expected too cry allot and be sad for a long time but i wasnt. I was devastated in the build up to it, and could not get over the fact that i was no longer going to be able to see him as nearly as often. I promise you it gets easier. For the first few weeks my life felts strange, i didnt feel like me, its hard to describe. Quite quickly i found myself able to adapt to the distance, i just filled my life with lots of activities such as more studying, going to the gym etc. Th key is too keep busy! If i was you i would definelty make the effort to facetime/skype/video call once a week or every fortnight just so yous can catch up and chat. Trust me, when you see him yous will be so happy and it will be special. There may be times when you feel like giving up and you feel like distance has ruined the relationship but if yous really like each other definetly dont give up!

Another big problem for me was my boyfriend going out on night outs. My boyfriend moved to university while i stayed here. We dated in highschool and he had never really went out to clubs until he got to uni. So when he went to uni i found the whole impact of him going out allot and the fact that he had moved away pretty overwhelming. I worried about him non stop and constantly had all these scenarios running around in my head and worried myself sick but please, dont worry! i know that seems so hard to do but please dont! He will be safe! This could ultimately tell you if he is the one! just keep yourself busy!

all the best of luck! if you have any questions or anything else you want to ask please feel free to drop me a message of post!:heart:
Reply 12
Original post by majorca12
Hi, my boyfriend moved away in september. We have been dating for a year. To be honest, it wasnt what i expected. I expected too cry allot and be sad for a long time but i wasnt. I was devastated in the build up to it, and could not get over the fact that i was no longer going to be able to see him as nearly as often. I promise you it gets easier. For the first few weeks my life felts strange, i didnt feel like me, its hard to describe. Quite quickly i found myself able to adapt to the distance, i just filled my life with lots of activities such as more studying, going to the gym etc. Th key is too keep busy! If i was you i would definelty make the effort to facetime/skype/video call once a week or every fortnight just so yous can catch up and chat. Trust me, when you see him yous will be so happy and it will be special. There may be times when you feel like giving up and you feel like distance has ruined the relationship but if yous really like each other definetly dont give up!

Another big problem for me was my boyfriend going out on night outs. My boyfriend moved to university while i stayed here. We dated in highschool and he had never really went out to clubs until he got to uni. So when he went to uni i found the whole impact of him going out allot and the fact that he had moved away pretty overwhelming. I worried about him non stop and constantly had all these scenarios running around in my head and worried myself sick but please, dont worry! i know that seems so hard to do but please dont! He will be safe! This could ultimately tell you if he is the one! just keep yourself busy!

all the best of luck! if you have any questions or anything else you want to ask please feel free to drop me a message of post!:heart:

I TOTALLY relate to that, he went today and I did like cry a wee bit then almost felt relieved that he had actually gone! I think I spent so much time building it up and scaring myself that it was going to be horrific!
It's so good to know that this kinda of thing works and it's not going to be some kinda horror story haha!
No doubt il end up messaging you at some point! I'm almost curious about how to like overcome some of the dynamics of it! xxx
Original post by emky
I TOTALLY relate to that, he went today and I did like cry a wee bit then almost felt relieved that he had actually gone! I think I spent so much time building it up and scaring myself that it was going to be horrific!
It's so good to know that this kinda of thing works and it's not going to be some kinda horror story haha!
No doubt il end up messaging you at some point! I'm almost curious about how to like overcome some of the dynamics of it! xxx

Yeh definetly!! I just felt it was a disaster waiting to happen tbh!! I even had people say that my face that it wouldnt work which is so rude!! Its just so frustrating at times aswell:frown:
Reply 14
Yeh definetly!! I just felt it was a disaster waiting to happen tbh!! I even had people say that my face that it wouldnt work which is so rude!! Its just so frustrating at times aswell:frown:

Those people are so annoying! Kinda like.. Er how do you know!?
But it's worth it right? like not trying is passing up on being with someone that might be it, soppy as that is. like I guess if you're strong enough to like let your other half go and like agree to try a ldr then that's saying something. I also think it's changes you, I mean if you can be apart from someone for that amount of time and not cave or go somewhere else then it's almost like gives you another dimension to your personality.. Like you're much stronger. Haha I say this., then watch it not work out!
Original post by emky
Those people are so annoying! Kinda like.. Er how do you know!?
But it's worth it right? like not trying is passing up on being with someone that might be it, soppy as that is. like I guess if you're strong enough to like let your other half go and like agree to try a ldr then that's saying something. I also think it's changes you, I mean if you can be apart from someone for that amount of time and not cave or go somewhere else then it's almost like gives you another dimension to your personality.. Like you're much stronger. Haha I say this., then watch it not work out!

definitely!! I cant stand people who judge my relationship, it makes me so angry! if it doesnt work out atleast I can say i gave it my best shot. i just keep thinking if me and him can get through this and we stay together then surely we can get through anything! I think i felt sort of almost guilty for not feeling so down and depressed when in reality i just felt numb and didnt really know what to feel! The part that upsets me the most is that i cant tell him as much due to the lack of communication! its not just your boyfriend moving away its your best friend too!:frown::mad:
Reply 16
definitely!! I cant stand people who judge my relationship, it makes me so angry! if it doesnt work out atleast I can say i gave it my best shot. i just keep thinking if me and him can get through this and we stay together then surely we can get through anything! I think i felt sort of almost guilty for not feeling so down and depressed when in reality i just felt numb and didnt really know what to feel! The part that upsets me the most is that i cant tell him as much due to the lack of communication! its not just your boyfriend moving away its your best friend too!:frown::mad:

You're right, they are your best friends too. it's so much harder because of that.
Hang in there, what's meant to be is meant to be right! You's have been together a while now! No reason for anything to go wrong.
Original post by emky
You're right, they are your best friends too. it's so much harder because of that.
Hang in there, what's meant to be is meant to be right! You's have been together a while now! No reason for anything to go wrong.

Yeh definetly!! My fingers are crossed! i wish yous all the best of luck!! :smile::smile:
Reply 18
Skype.
Mid afternoon to late evening is effectively morning over there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending