The Student Room Group

Contract law

Hi All

I'm a Civil Engineering student but I have to study contract law as part of my degree but have no experience at all with this field

basically is the contract void if you sign it without reading it? Is there any statute law about reading contracts before signing them?

help would be much appreciated !!

Thanks
Have a look at the L'Estrange v Graucob case
Thanks will do

Is there any statute law in relation?

The summary of the situation is that a company BJL were contracted by KDC to build a new factory in 8weeks for a fixed price.

BJL had a clause which says : they will not be liable to any problems due to poor workmanship

They did not water tight the factory roof resulting in 3 weeks worth of loss of business after completion of contract
And did not connect the power supply which was left unconnected for 6 weeks after completion resulting in £100,00 loss of business for KDC

Is there any common law or statute law which i can read up on in relation such as duty of care? Or any similar case studies about negligence or clauses?

Thanks
This is a pretty typical exclusion clauses question so you should have a look at the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, particular section 2(2) and the relevant case law surrounding the application of the s11 test of reasonableness.
Thank you !

Are there any books you would recommend or law journals?
I don't want to rely on googling case studies and getting penalised for poor references

Thanks again :smile:
Do you not have access to Westlaw or LexisNexis for cases? Anson's law of contract is a good book to look at as well
Will try those but my uni doesnt have much access to law databases for some reason but will try them thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending