The Student Room Group

I dont find my degree worth the money - what shall I do?

I study fine art in London and don't get any maintenance loan so I find it very very difficult. I support myself and have a part-time job but to be honest, it's getting frustrating to live so frugally. I just paid the tuition fees and this year I've noticed how pathetic the university system (with the triple increase) has become. There are so many foreign students (I am an EU student myself, so you might think I shouldnt complain) but what I find problematic is that my university has accepted so many students who don't even speak proper English (the IELTS score is apparently 6.5 but I am not sure how lenient they are) and I feel the quality of the course has just decreased dramatically.. everything is dumbed down, I don't see myself intellectually challenged. I do my own research of course but then again, what's the point in paying the tuition fees since I do everything myself? It has become more and more obvious that the university needs money and therefore lots of foreign students are cash-cows. I study Fine art so I was wondering, maybe I should continue studying it in a different country, where you don't pay such high fees and where it is sometimes even for free. I have two years to go. What do you think? I'm just not really into the prospect of paying when I am not even satisfied with the course. I feel like it's become so easy to study fine art in the UK whereas in other countries, the schools are much smaller and more selective. But then again, I'm also a bit afraid of change and will probably lose a year since it's already October. Anyone else could give me some advice? :frown:
Original post by catatania1
I study fine art in London and don't get any maintenance loan so I find it very very difficult. I support myself and have a part-time job but to be honest, it's getting frustrating to live so frugally. I just paid the tuition fees and this year I've noticed how pathetic the university system (with the triple increase) has become. There are so many foreign students (I am an EU student myself, so you might think I shouldnt complain) but what I find problematic is that my university has accepted so many students who don't even speak proper English (the IELTS score is apparently 6.5 but I am not sure how lenient they are) and I feel the quality of the course has just decreased dramatically.. everything is dumbed down, I don't see myself intellectually challenged. I do my own research of course but then again, what's the point in paying the tuition fees since I do everything myself? It has become more and more obvious that the university needs money and therefore lots of foreign students are cash-cows. I study Fine art so I was wondering, maybe I should continue studying it in a different country, where you don't pay such high fees and where it is sometimes even for free. I have two years to go. What do you think? I'm just not really into the prospect of paying when I am not even satisfied with the course. I feel like it's become so easy to study fine art in the UK whereas in other countries, the schools are much smaller and more selective. But then again, I'm also a bit afraid of change and will probably lose a year since it's already October. Anyone else could give me some advice? :frown:

What do you want to do after university?
Reply 2
Work overseas for a while and then maybe continue studying. I love studying :angelblush: Maybe work in a library, I don't really have a 'dream job' or set goal.
You should study in a country with cheap or low tuition fees then. The UK isn't for you.
Universities abroad have much harder courses - give it a try :wink:
I dont find my degree worth the money

I study fine art

That's why
Reply 6
It's an insult to call Fine Arts a degree.
Reply 7
Original post by ubisoft
It's an insult to call Fine Arts a degree.

It's an insult to sentient beings that you made that statement.

Leave it and study abroad I agree the tuition is a waste and the standard of teaching goes down year by year (no wonder the vast majority of unis in the UK are plummeting down the league tables)
Study in Europe no/low tuition fee & English speaking courses :smile:
For a fine art student such as yourself I suggest Denmark no tuition and a great place to study & live.
Message me if you need more help :smile:
This is a Danish helps site with all courses in Denmark
http://studyindenmark.dk/
This is the Royal Danish academy of fine arts which do fantastic degrees
http://www.kunstakademiet.dk/english/
And here are some more help sites for different countries
http://www.eunicas.co.uk/index.php/studying-abroad/studying-abroad.html
http://thestudentworld.com/
http://www.studyabroad.com/programs/europe/default.aspx
Reply 9
Just how "challenging" did you think looking at pictures was going to be?
Of course the STEM brigade gives the girl a hard time; because that's SO helpful right guys?
Original post by JC.
Just how "challenging" did you think looking at pictures was going to be?

Actually art should be as challenging as any of the humanities (unless you're one of those people who thinks that only sciences can be truly challenging?). I'm not sure what the OP is doing-I'd expect fine art to involve creating art, and art history to be 'looking at pictures', but whatever it is, you should be able to study any subject at degree level and feel challenged and satisfied by what you're learning.

To the OP: I started a degree back when the tuition fees were only £3000 a year and I found it a complete waste of money. Most of what we were learning could be learnt from books, and I didn't feel I was getting the kind of input from tutors/fellow students that warranted the money. Having said that, I'm going to go back to university in the future because I've accepted that the tuition fee is just what I have to pay if I want to get a degree (which I do, because I too want to keep on studying at postgraduate level in the future) and I only have to pay the tuition fee back as a proportion of my salary. It's something you have to make peace with on a personal level, but all I can say is if I had the ability to go abroad and do a more challenging course for less money then I'd definitely take that opportunity. I can see why it's even more difficult for you as you don't get the maintenance loan-it's hard to put all your resources into something that doesn't seem worth it, you begin to lose all motivation for the work.
Reply 12

You may be able to transfer directly into second year at a university abroad. Make some inquiries. Universities abroad often have two semesters per year, and if transfer is too late for this semester, then perhaps it may be possible to do it in February / March to transfer into the fourth semester, halfway through the university year. But you need to get that information together now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Thank you for all the sympathizing posts!

@mscaffrey
Are you going back to university in the UK where you'll have to pay the 9000? I'm now in my second year and going abroad for the spring term which would leave me then with 1 more year to go. I'm still in the old fee system so it wouldn't be *too* bad but I'm just not sure whether I should stick with it or not.. the other advantages I could think of is that I could work for the British council and might be eligible for postgraduate scholarships.. but living and studying here is seriously killing me :frown: I'm not sure how to go on...

It's very expensive here in the UK.. but if I studied a subject where I mostly have to read (like humanities), I think I'd be even more disappointed.. because lots of it is independent study..
welcome to england

Quick Reply

Latest