The Student Room Group

English Literature A level advise please

I'm thinking of picking English Literature for my as, could you tell me what its like and what the tests are like and also how hard is it to get a good grade
Original post by nxxxxpxxxxxx
I'm thinking of picking English Literature for my as, could you tell me what its like and what the tests are like and also how hard is it to get a good grade

If you go onto my profile, you can see I have made a lot of useful comments and advice about the same question I see each year in and year out.

Superficially, there are a lot of things to remember other than quotes. For instance the amount of historical context you have to learn will make you feel like you have just stepped out of a history lesson, rather than a Literature lesson. You will also have to remember literary and linguistic terms (depending on your exam board). For example AQA A focuses on terminology and AQA B does not for one of their side to their exams.

Also, you have to naturally good and succinct and writing. You also have to love reading and be able to be willing to discuss points from alternative opinions and arguments. I know I had to read a lot because I did AQA A and that required students to do something called "Wider Reading". You should look at what exam board your school/sixth form will be choosing. You may not know until November time as the new A-level specs for English have not been accredited just quite yet. I do know though that the new specs have only six or eight texts that you will HAVE to read, as in set texts throughout the duration of the A-level year. In terms of difficulty, you make A-levels how hard you want it to be by the amount of effort you put in. If you work hard it will pay off. If you don't then you will know about it by the bad grade you get.

Quick Reply

Latest