The Student Room Group

Using money to buy top grades vs using own ability to earn them?

This question is more for me than anyone else. I want to get the highest grades in my college without using money and using only my own ability and hard work. But at the same time I'm very tempted to use money to aid my learning such as private tuition and psychologists. But I feel that is unfair and I won't feel like i won if I do achieve the highest grades. I'm doing a levels btw. But even if I used money, apart from tuition and psychologists there is nothing else I can spend it on anyway as the rest is up to me. There's no real advantage of money for education. Correct me if I am wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PVonShroeder
But I feel that is unfair

Life isn't fair
Reply 2
This question is more for me than anyone else. I want to get the highest grades in my college without using money and using only my own ability and hard work. But at the same time I'm very tempted to use money to aid my learning such as private tuition and psychologists. But I feel that is unfair and I won't feel like i won if I do achieve the highest grades. I'm doing a levels btw. But even if I used money, apart from tuition and psychologists there is nothing else I can spend it on anyway as the rest is up to me. There's no real advantage of money for education. Correct me if I am wrong

If you learn something that way, it's still you who learned it and who has to apply it to get the grades. I don't see the problem. (Except that it is probably wasted money for a naturally clever person. But that's up to you.)
Reply 3
Education should be a pleasure not a competition. If you want to learn something go ahead and spend your money like any other leisure.
Reply 4
You're not paying for your grades with a tutor because it still requires learning. Unless they just gave you the answers rather than helped you, then I could see where you were coming from. One on one attention to help you isn't wrong.
Ok I've decided to cancel all private tuition. I want to beat everyone with the worst conditions. Because then it means something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok I've decided to cancel all private tuition. I want to beat everyone with the worst conditions. Because then it means something

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why?

I had private tuition for maths because I really struggled with algebra and trig... it got me through my modular maths retake and I got a C overall. You're paying someone to support you but essentially you're putting the hours and the brain power in which is what you should be doing.

I have no regrets paying for a few extra lessons; by getting my C grade it opened doors... I had always anticipated that I would teach at some point and I wanted to the grade in my back pocket just in case.

If you can afford it you should go for it - you're investing in your own personal future, this isn't about anyone else but you. :h:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending