The Student Room Group

First time car accident..who is at fault in this accident?

I've uploaded an image. Green is my car, red is the other drivers car, yellow is the collusion area and white lines are there bcuz difficult to see photo of google map. If you look at the bottom right, right lane has arrow pointing straight and to right and left lane only has straight pointing arrow.

The other drivers claims its was my fault bcuz i didnt indicate to left. I mean i dont have to bcuz i was going straight and i would only indicate right if i was going to the right exit.

And I think its his fault bcuz he cut me off near the exit to my lane.

So whose fault is this??:confused:

please click the photo to see clearly bcuz i dont know how to upload big pic

Scroll to see replies

if you were going straight you possibly should have been in the other lane? I'm not really sure though..
Reply 2
to me it looks like its both your fault... its quite confusing from the pic though...

which exit are you taking, which exit was he trying to take.

If you were taking the first exit, then its your fault as you've cut him up, if your going straight on (2nd exit), but changed into the left hand lane, then its also your fault.

The only way I see it being his fault is if he pushed into your lane
Reply 3
Original post by albany-geography
if you were going straight you possibly should have been in the other lane? I'm not really sure though..

Pretty sure both lanes here can be used to go straight on
Original post by tim_123
Pretty sure both lanes here can be used to go straight on

sorry, are you going left for the first exit or straight onto the second exit?
not sure i understand the situation
Original post by tim_123

which exit are you taking, which exit was he trying to take.

If you were taking the first exit, then its your fault as you've cut him up,

im taking the first exit to right lane, the other driver was also taking first exit to right lane whereas the driver shouldave taken the left lane, and my defense is the driver cut me off nearing the first exit.
Reply 6
If you didn't plan to enter the roundabout, then what, pray tell, were you actually doing in the right-hand lane?
Reply 7
Original post by Huntercross14
im taking the first exit to right lane, the other driver was also taking first exit to right lane whereas the driver shouldave taken the left lane, and my defense is the driver cut me off nearing the first exit.

Ahh I see, so he came across to the right hand lane to maybe over take people as you were moving into that lane as it was your "filter lane" so to speak.

In that case, I would say its pretty much his fault, don't mention you weren't indicating as that definately IS a factor
Reply 8
Original post by Profesh
If you didn't plan to enter the roundabout, then what, pray tell, were you actually doing in the right-hand lane?

This makes absolutely no sense
Reply 9
From what I can see it's a bit of both - his for drifting lanes, your's for acting as though you were going to enter the roundabout
Original post by tim_123
This makes absolutely no sense

This diagram seems fairly unequivocal on the matter:

Two lanes onto the roundabout, two off.

If the accident was because of the red person driving into the lane of the green car, the red car is at fault, and vice versa.

although if the arrow on the left hand lane really is left only then you shouldn't have collided, UNLESS the collision happened before the first exit, and not after (so you moved over too quickly, rather than him carrying on straight when he shouldn't have done.

Anyway there's a valuable lesson here, even if you win. People are stupid, and even if there shouldn't be anyone in the other lane, there might be, so check anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vapor

There is no reason why you should be in the right lane if you were taking the first exit..

the right lane has arrow pointing to go straight.

seriously did you guys like profesh read my first post? right lane has arrow pointing straight, to go straight to first exit right lane.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Profesh

You do understand that for the green car, it can't take both lanes if there is traffic already in either of those lanes
Reply 14
Your fault most likely
You are equally wrong, he should have been in the right hand lane and you in the left.
Reply 16
For those unable to see why he was in the right lane; either you don't drive, or you haven't bothered to look at the image.

You should have been indicating, but he should not have hit you. Was the left lane only for going left/straight on, or for going right too?

General rule of thumb [though not always] is you're always moving leftwards on a roundabout. If you're switching to a lane right of you, you need to be extra careful. That said, you didn't indicate, he made an assumption. Probably both at fault.

Original post by Profesh

Do you drive?
Original post by arson_fire
If you look at the bottom of the picture approaching the roundabout the road marking on lane 2 shows an arrow going forward AND right. Assuming that the 2nd exit is the right arrow then IMO the straight ahead arrow refers to the first exit. I think the green car should have gone to lane 1 on the first exit, and it`s at fault - not the red car.

Except the red car pushed over to the right hand lane when there was already a car ther
Original post by Vapor
Can you show me the roundabout on google street view ?

here is the street view from google the round-about is further up ahead

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5614767,-1.765816,3a,75y,350.04h,72.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sZQVdeoBnGMR6a4kD8WbwdA!2e0
OP, you need to draft your explanation a lot more clearly for the insurance company if you are going to avoid liability.

You need to say that both lanes entering the junction are signed to take the first exit.The left lane can only be used for the first exit, but the right lane can be used for both the first and the second exit.

Say that (as per the signage) you were in the right lane but taking the first exit, so you turned into the right hand lane of the first exit (as you should have done). However the person next to you in the left lane did not turn into the left lane of the first exit (as he should have done) but instead he seems to have either drifted into the right lane or he was attempting some overtaking manoevre, without realising that cars from the right lane were also turning left (perfectly legally).

You should get a better photo of the road signage to support your claim.

All that said, you should have been clearly signalling your intentions. No harm comes from telling other drivers too much about your intentions, but (as you have discovered) harm can come from assuming that every other driver around you knows the road well.

Quick Reply

Latest