The Student Room Group

This is a scam?!

Someone I know got a message from a FreeMessage website that says "hi, click this picture to see me" and it had a link that said something around 'is.gd'. Anyway i connected to an old phone with no sim, restored back to factory settings and went onto my WiFi and the link said 'router.adlure' and it didn't load after that. I researched it and it said it's cybercriminals who hack into the domain system... I don't get what this means? Can someone clarify this as at the moment I'm scared that they can connect to the router and see our bank details etc :/ sorry this sounds silly!! Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
The domain system, also known as the DNS. it basically translates domain names into IP Addresses. Because domain names are alphabetic, they're easier to remember. The Internet however, is really based on IP addresses. Every time you use a domain name, therefore, a DNS service must translate the name into the corresponding IP address. For example, the domain name www.example.com might translate to 198.105.232.4.

*What 'Push_More_Button' is referring too*
(edited 9 years ago)
What happens if they hack the IP address?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hacking someone's IP, doesn't really tell much other-than what internet service provider they are using and the 'general' area which you are located. If this person is hacking into your IP address i wouldn't worry because your are probably more at risk of danger giving out your street address to someone than your IP address.
Original post by Reety
The domain system, also known as the DNS. it basically translates domain names into IP Addresses. Because domain names are alphabetic, they're easier to remember. The Internet however, is really based on IP addresses. Every time you use a domain name, therefore, a DNS service must translate the name into the corresponding IP address. For example, the domain name www.example.com might translate to 198.105.232.4.

So technically i think what it means is that the people who are 'hacking' are trying to hack the IP-Address of the website.

You started off really well and then ruined it with your last sentence...

If this is the same attack discovered earlier this year it's possible that you're being taken to a different website than you intend, resetting your router to factory settings should resolve it.
Reply 5
Original post by Push_More_Button
You started off really well and then ruined it with your last sentence...

Just realised what I wrote, :K: , I'm so tired... Aaah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending