The Student Room Group

17 year old, joining gym for the first time?

I should have joined a year ago but I've done it now. I sort of want to bulk and I'm going to start meat protein sources for the first time in 5 years. I'm 5 '10 and not that heavy. But i'm like a proper novice at this, where can i find a diet/gym plan? do i go everyday or alternate days? Do I set aside a day for leg and chest and stuff like that? Should I do cardio and like a 15 minute jog before and after a session?

Scroll to see replies

The typical noob post. I would read the stickies on the bodybuilding. Com forum as there's quite a few things to mentiony

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's not write age to join gym
Reply 3
4chan.org/fit and bodybuilding forums.

Also: http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html
And
http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh%27s_Worksheet_(WIP)

Read them all, it has everything you need.
Original post by krs122
I should have joined a year ago but I've done it now. I sort of want to bulk and I'm going to start meat protein sources for the first time in 5 years. I'm 5 '10 and not that heavy. But i'm like a proper novice at this, where can i find a diet/gym plan? do i go everyday or alternate days? Do I set aside a day for leg and chest and stuff like that? Should I do cardio and like a 15 minute jog before and after a session?

What are your actual goals? "sort of want to bulk"?

Check out the sticky.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30266514
Don't read the sticky posts, it's all about routines for fat powerlifters that'll make you bulky and slow. You need to follow a proper six-day split for maximum aesthetics and you'll be able to keep your abs at the same time.

Day 1 - chest/triceps
Day 2 - back/biceps
Day 3 - abs and calves
Repeat for 4-6.

You don't need to work your legs. I just do lots of cycling and playing football so my legs are already strong enough.

Minimum 4 exercises per bodypart, you want to hit it from all different angles you know.

Don't keep a log like the fat powerlifters, you need to shock and confuse your muscle. Do what you feel like that day, it's the best for gains.

Always drink a protein shake during and after your workouts too! The more expensive a brand, the better it is.

Good luck brother!
Original post by SEHughes
Don't read the sticky posts, it's all about routines for fat powerlifters that'll make you bulky and slow. You need to follow a proper six-day split for maximum aesthetics and you'll be able to keep your abs at the same time.

Day 1 - chest/triceps
Day 2 - back/biceps
Day 3 - abs and calves
Repeat for 4-6.

You don't need to work your legs. I just do lots of cycling and playing football so my legs are already strong enough.

Minimum 4 exercises per bodypart, you want to hit it from all different angles you know.

Don't keep a log like the fat powerlifters, you need to shock and confuse your muscle. Do what you feel like that day, it's the best for gains.

Always drink a protein shake during and after your workouts too! The more expensive a brand, the better it is.

Good luck brother!

Just in case the OP is really that naive, yes, this is a troll. :rolleyes:
I would second visiting bodybuilding.com if you're looking to build physique. They have it down to a science over there.
Reply 8
Focused on looks? Do icecream fitness 5x5. Focused on strength or have limited time? Do strong lift. Google them.

Define not that heavy? If you have a belly and want to be lean then you're probably better off loosing it first.

Diet, eat more until you are gaining about 1lb/week which is 500 kcal above maintenance (calories you need to eat to stay your current weight)per day. You can just eat and watch the scales or you can calorie count which a tracker. If you want you can calculate your maintenance (google it) and add 500 for a starting point but still watch the scale as it may or may not be totally right.

Otherwise just eat a decent serving of protein with every meal, 1.5g per kg of bodyweight is plenty if you want to count and there's no benefit to loads more. Meat is not required for protein if you don't want to eat it.
Reply 9
You're the only one on this thread who knows what he's talking about. Man like
Reply 10
Original post by SEHughes

Day 1 - chest/triceps
Day 2 - back/biceps
Day 3 - abs and calves
Repeat for 4-6.

Good luck brother!

Stop chatting ****. You don't need protein shakes to gain mass, that's just how these supplement companies make money. All the pro "natural" bodybuilders are on growth hormones and plenty of other drugs. You only need 1.5 g of protein per KG of body mass.
Shaking my head at you
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Will97MS
Stop chatting shi*. You don't need protein shakes to gain mass, that's just how these supplement companies make money. All the pro "natural" bodybuilders are on growth hormones and plenty of other drugs. You only need 1.5 g of protein per KG of body mass.
Shaking my head at you

1.5g per kilo? Spare us your broscience, bro. And are you saying the likes of Simeon Panda aren't natty? Haters gonna hate.
Reply 12
You honestly think Simeon Panda is natural?? Anything who knows anything about science will know how easy it is to cover up drug use.
You honestly think Simeon Panda is natural?? Anything who knows anything about science will know how easy it is to cover up drug use.

What makes you think he isn't? His physique is perfectly attainable naturally, he's got good genetics, trains hard and eats right.

You should channel all that hate into making gains in the gym instead of tearing down others' achievements. You probably hate that he's a devout Christian too, you godless so-and-so.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
What makes you think he isn't? His physique is perfectly attainable naturally, he's got good genetics, trains hard and eats right.

Looool come on man, you're deluded if you think he's natty. I'm pro transhumanism so it doesn't bother me, but surely you must understand that physiques like that are not attainable naturally...
Original post by Efemena15
Looool come on man, you're deluded if you think he's natty. I'm pro transhumanism so it doesn't bother me, but surely you must understand that physiques like that are not attainable naturally...

What makes you think they aren't attainable naturally? Genetics, hard work and the right diet create physiques like that.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
What makes you think they aren't attainable naturally? Genetics, hard work and the right diet create physiques like that.

Bodybuilders such as Dorian Yates have admitted use of drugs (you can look it up). Even in the 2014 Mr Olympia, you could tell Phil Heath was on growth hormones due to his extended gut. Drugs are a norm in today's society and science enables them to test negative in drugs test, partly the reason why I believe drug tests are useless and should be omitted in sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Bodybuilders such as Dorian Yates have admitted use of drugs (you can look it up). Even in the 2014 Mr Olympia, you could tell Phil Heath was on growth hormones due to his extended gut. Drugs are a norm in today's society and science enables them to test negative in drugs test, partly the reason why I believe drug tests are useless and should be omitted in sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Delusional

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you on about? He doesn't have an extended gut, he just had large (very large) abs.

People fail drug tests all the time, so they must work.

Quick Reply

Latest