The Student Room Group

is this unrealistic?

In my AS Levels I achieved AAB, and I am predicted AAA.
Is it unrealistic to apply for three universities with entry requirements of AAB (Nottingham, York and Warwick), and two with lower than 300 UCAS points?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by katie780
Is it unrealistic to apply for three universities with entry requirements of AAB (Nottingham, York and Warwick), and two with lower than 300 UCAS points?

I don't see why not - after all, there's a reason they've provided those grades as an entry requirement. Even if they are the lower end of the kind of applications they receive, they wouldn't have chosen them if you weren't in for a chance. If you're not confident about it, maybe pick the two you like the most and then choose some universities with slightly lower entry requirements for your lower ranked options; but I don't think you should be worried.
Reply 2

Definitely not! I got BBBB, I'm predicted AAA and all the universities I'm applying to are AAB-ABB so your choices are definitely realistic! In fact, you could even go for one with AAA, three with AAB-ABB and one with under 300 UCAS.
(edited 9 years ago)
If anything I'm wondering why you don't have an AAA stretch-choice in there, rather than two with 300 UCAS points?
Reply 4
Original post by Crumpet1
If anything I'm wondering why you don't have an AAA stretch-choice in there, rather than two with 300 UCAS points?

I guess I'd just prefer to be safe :colondollar:
But thank you, helps to know that there is that option :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by FunsoFH
Definitely not! I got BBBB, I'm predicted AAA and all the universities I'm applying to are AAB-ABB so your choices are definitely realistic! In fact, you could even go for one with AAA, three with AAB-ABB and one with under 300 UCAS.

Thank you! I suppose I'm just panicking - don't want to be turned down by three universities!
Reply 6
Original post by TallerThanSmall
I don't see why not - after all, there's a reason they've provided those grades as an entry requirement. Even if they are the lower end of the kind of applications they receive, they wouldn't have chosen them if you weren't in for a chance. If you're not confident about it, maybe pick the two you like the most and then choose some universities with slightly lower entry requirements for your lower ranked options; but I don't think you should be worried.

Thank you - your advice about picking my favourite two is really helpful!
Reply 7
Thank you! I suppose I'm just panicking - don't want to be turned down by three universities!

Ah well I guess it's better to take that chance and, worse case scenario, get turned down by one or two than to go to universities that don't really cater to your academic level!
I guess I'd just prefeur to be safe :colondollar:
But thank you, helps to know that there is that option :smile:

Think of it like this. In the unlikely event that you have no offers in February, you can use Extra to apply to universities that still have places, and there are always Russell Group unis in there, so there should also be unis with 300 UCAS points. But the stretch choice unis may not be there.
Reply 9
Original post by Crumpet1
Think of it like this. In the unlikely event that you have no offers in February, you can use Extra to apply to universities that still have places, and there are always Russell Group unis in there, so there should also be unis with 300 UCAS points. But the stretch choice unis may not be there.

That's true - thank you so much.
Reply 10
Original post by FunsoFH
Ah well I guess it's better to take that chance and, worse case scenario, get turned down by one or two than to go to universities that don't really cater to your academic level!

Yeah definitely :smile: thanks for all your help!
Original post by FunsoFH

How high were the B's ?
Thank you - your advice about picking my favourite two is really helpful!

You're very welcome! But don't think I'm saying that's something you should definitely do; like the others have said, much better to have a chance of getting into a university you really want and risk getting rejected than not applying when you could have got in. It's just one option if you're feeling especially unconfident about the process.
Reply 13
Original post by plasmaman
How high were the B's ?

Well they were all in the middle, like either exactly half way or one ums point off half way between each end of the B (so I must have revised each subject equally lol). I didn't try my hardest tbh, so I'll also be retaking C2 maths in May to try and get at least one A overall.

Honestly, I wanted to apply somewhere that would except BBB and/or UCAS points, but my teachers said 'we don't want you to waste 27-36 grand at a 'substandard' university and know you will get the grades required, so we will emphasise this in your reference' :colondollar:

Plus my course isn't as competitive as other courses, so I have a chance :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending