The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

What's Nottingham like as a city for Uni students?

I've heard that the campus itself is faaar nicer than the actual city (apparently its known as 'Shottingham' as its dangerous? I dunno).. But what's the night life like/ shopping ect and general life in Nottingham as a uni student?
Original post by alibland
I've heard that the campus itself is faaar nicer than the actual city (apparently its known as 'Shottingham' as its dangerous? I dunno).. But what's the night life like/ shopping ect and general life in Nottingham as a uni student?

Not that it's your fault, but I begin to get bored of responding to the whole 'Shottingham' *******s. The city used to have a gun problem, but we're talking about a decade ago now, and the city went for years without a single firearms-related injury. There's been one or two since then, but far less per capita than most other UK cities. Besides, it was never in student areas as students don't tend to have firearms. Even when you look at crime more generally, Nottingham had the most improved police authority for two years running and crime has slumped over the past 10 years.

The city I find is just right for me and my friends - it's big enough that you can go wander and find new things, it has all the attractions of a major city when it comes to entertainment, places to eat, nightlife, activities, and so on; yet not so big that it's constantly overwhelming for most people :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by alibland

Absolutely fantastic. Great shopping, staggeringly incredible nightlife. So many bars and nightclubs, you will go your entire student life without ever needing to go in the same one twice.

Its also extremely safe and friendly, it hasn't really had a gun problem since the 90s, and even then it was only in a small number of areas that students would never need to go to.

Its far safer than almost every other big UK city.
Reply 3
Ditto to all the above and the campus is beautiful too...!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
How's Nottingham as a city as compared to Manchester? I'm an international student and I believe the latter is more lively, bigger city, more music gigs, football stadiums etc. But have hard how Notts is a beautiful city with a nice campus...
Original post by makrxx
How's Nottingham as a city as compared to Manchester? I'm an international student and I believe the latter is more lively, bigger city, more music gigs, football stadiums etc. But have hard how Notts is a beautiful city with a nice campus...

Manchester is bigger, but that comes with both advantages and disadvantages. I wouldn't say its livelier or has more music or sports - Nottingham has arena and Rock City so gets all touring bands, plus has Trent Bridge, national watersports centre, national ice centre etc etc.
I live in Nottingham and its not rough at all. The night life is good but not as good as cities like birmingham, leeds, sheffield but its still better than most places. The shopping is good you will find mostly every shop you need.
Reply 7
Might be a tricky question, but what would Nottingham seem like to a brummie (without the accent!). I've been told that once you survive Birmingham, anything is great, but I'm wondering how notts would differ in terms of size, concentration of entertainment geographically, atmosphere...etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Well obviously it's a little smaller, but it has everything you need.
If you are in Birmingham you're close enough to come and have a look for yourself :-)
Reply 9
Don't listen to the 'Shottingham' talk. The University campus is beautiful and the surrounding areas (Dunkirk/Lenton/Beeston) are all nice. You probably won't encounter the 'dodgy' areas that are found in every major city. Lots of clubs and bars, loads of shops/restaurants, great bus links from university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending