The Student Room Group

Do the US Libertarian Party and the Republican party share the same ideology in many

Do the US Libertarian Party and the Republican party share the same ideology in many issues? I have seen snippets of Paul Ryan 30th September I think it was broadcasted on Bloomberg) latest interview on Charlie Rose and what he says in economic issues seems similar to what US libertarian parties policies are. Also do many Republicans move over to the Libertarian Party like Conservatives move to UKIP here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by hsv
Do the US Libertarian Party and the Republican party share the same ideology in many issues? I have seen snippets of Paul Ryan 30th September I think it was broadcasted on Bloomberg) latest interview on Charlie Rose and what he says in economic issues seems similar to what US libertarian parties policies are. Also do many Republicans move over to the Libertarian Party like Conservatives move to UKIP here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The US is a two party system so I doubt you will see much movement. There is certainly a libertarian wing to the Republican party that would share many of their values but will stay with the Republicans because their electoral chances will be much higher.
Reply 2
Original post by hsv

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economically there are similarities, the Libertarian Party is an offshoot of the Republicans in that regard. Socially though the Republicans as a whole and Tea Party in particular, are very much different from the Libertarians.
Original post by Rakas21
Economically there are similarities, the Libertarian Party is an offshoot of the Republicans in that regard. Socially though the Republicans as a whole and Tea Party in particular, are very much different from the Libertarians.

It's true that the social issues are a division, but Libertarians don't really talk much about things like gay marriage anyway. I'd say the bigger divide between the two is over foreign policy and militarism.
Original post by Rakas21

No one really cares about the social issues. Its economic issues that really define the parties
Reply 5
Original post by Made in the USA
No one really cares about the social issues. Its economic issues that really define the parties

For party members sure. But after the 2012 election i did read a few articles which suggested it was the social policy which pushed some people to the Democrats in the eastern swing states (abortion ect..).
Original post by LouisFarrakh4n
Both Democrat and Republican party are bought with Jewish money and media.Republican party doesn't deliver on promises like immigration the same with Britain's Conservative party. Why?

You can't really compare the immigration issue in Britain with the immigration issue in the USA. In the USA, people have no problem with legal immigration and when you hear people complaining about immigration they are talking about the illegal variety. In Britain you have politicians who are against LEGAL immigration, a ludicrous position that would end your polical career in the USA

Quick Reply

Latest