The Student Room Group

Question for girls

Would you date a PhD student if you're over 22 yourself and have a normal job? or would it be weird to date a student?
Why would it be weird?
nothing weird in that at all
Reply 3
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Why would it be weird?

Well, if she's over 22 and has a job, she would also, most likely, be around other men who have full time jobs. Perhaps she might think that she doesn't want to date students anymore.

Dunno, maybe I am over-thinking it.
A PhD candidate is different from an undergraduate. They actually get a pretty decent salary to start with.
Reply 5
Original post by cole-slaw
A PhD candidate is different from an undergraduate. They actually get a pretty decent salary to start with.

No we don't. Define "decent".
Original post by Anonymous
No we don't. Define "decent".

13-14k, tax free, is pretty decent in my opinion.

Do you not get that? Sucks to be you.
13-14k, tax free, is pretty decent in my opinion.

That's pretty rubbish considering the hours and dedication demanded, and qualifications needed.

I wouldn't rule a potential partner out based on the fact that they were doing a PhD. There are lots of dickish PhD students just as there are lots of dickish bankers. If you're asking whether the fact that they're still in education would make them less attractive, no it wouldn't, not for me. It's ambition, which is evident by the fact they've got a drive to do a PhD.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
That's pretty rubbish considering the hours and dedication demanded, and qualifications needed.

I wouldn't rule a potential partner out based on the fact that they were doing a PhD. There are lots of dickish PhD students just as there are lots of dickish bankers. If you're asking whether the fact that they're still in education would make them less attractive, no it wouldn't, not for me. It's ambition, which is evident by the fact they've got a drive to do a PhD.

14k tax free is equivalent of 18-20k. That's more than a lot of full time admins etc get. It is not rubbish at all, its extremely generous, it is significantly higher than minimum wage especially when you consider it also includes unlimited holidays and zero set hours.
Well, if she's over 22 and has a job, she would also, most likely, be around other men who have full time jobs. Perhaps she might think that she doesn't want to date students anymore.

Dunno, maybe I am over-thinking it.

In my opinion you're over thinking it, but then again I can't speak for everyone I guess. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it.
When I was a PhD student I dated/slept with a whole load of different non-students. It never seemed to bother any of them, why would it? Most people see it as quite impressive
14k tax free is equivalent of 18-20k. That's more than a lot of full time admins etc get. It is not rubbish at all, its extremely generous, it is significantly higher than minimum wage especially when you consider it also includes unlimited holidays and zero set hours.

I am 25 and most people my age, with my level of education earn more (some of them earn significantly more).

But I am not bothered about that (my stipend is slightly over 13k btw). It's more the idea of dating someone who's a student rather than someone with a full-time job.

And I most certainly don't think I will be seen as unambitious - academia is monstrously competitive.
I'm a female working full time and in a relationship with a phD student... I wouldn't date someone who behaved like your typical undergrad now but I don't see what the issue would be with being with someone who is still in education?
I am 25 and most people my age, with my level of education earn more (some of them earn significantly more).

But I am not bothered about that (my stipend is slightly over 13k btw). It's more the idea of dating someone who's a student rather than someone with a full-time job.

And I most certainly don't think I will be seen as unambitious - academia is monstrously competitive.

yeah, but they don't get to live the student lifestyle. They may get paid more, but they have to slog their guts out 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, live in crappy places like London, get 4 weeks holiday a year.

Doing a PhD is money for old rope. You turn up when you want, go home when you want, if you're hungover you stay in bed, if you feel like taking a fortnight off you just do what you like.

Nope, it's the equivalent of about £16.4k tax free - http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/lifestyle.php

Unlimited holidays and no set hours - yep, most PhD students are working 50 hour weeks at least and don't really take holidays.
No I wouldn't as I prefer my guys to be older than me.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Nope, it's the equivalent of about £16.4k tax free - http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/lifestyle.php

Unlimited holidays and no set hours - yep, most PhD students are working 50 hour weeks at least and don't really take holidays.

50 hour weeks my arse. Maybe that's what they tell their supervisor.

I worked 10-4, 5 days a week, although I took Wednesday afternoons off. Most people did something pretty similar. My one mate worked ~3-8pm. I could not turn up for a fortnight and no-one would say anything.

One poor girl got landed with an awful supervisor, she had to turn up at 9am every day. We all felt really sorry for her (we didn't really).
Reply 17
50 hour weeks my arse. Maybe that's what they tell their supervisor.

I worked 10-4, 5 days a week, although I took Wednesday afternoons off. Most people did something pretty similar. My one mate worked ~3-8pm. I could not turn up for a fortnight and no-one would say anything.

One poor girl got landed with an awful supervisor, she had to turn up at 9am every day. We all felt really sorry for her (we didn't really).

It's more if you have to teach though.
Original post by Josb
It's more if you have to teach though.

Teaching is what, 4-5 hours a week? Its a seriously decent wage too (£15-20 an hour).
Reply 19
It shouldn't matter that you study and she works if you really like eachother. How much either one of you earn should not be a factor unless you're a gold digger. Money does not = love.

Quick Reply

Latest