The Student Room Group

Psychology Personal Statement

I am currently writing my personal statement for a Psychology undergraduate course next year and I'm finding it difficult to write a conclusion that doesn't repeat anything I have already said. In my personal statement I have included why I want to study Psychology, studies that I find interesting and relevant skills I have developed in school during my A Levels and in my extra-curricular activities like voluntary work and music.

The conclusion I have already is "I believe that the skills I have acquired throughout my time at school and through my extra-curricular activities will help me to get the best out of the Psychology course, ultimately enabling me to have a career in something I am extremely interested in" which I don't think is strong enough!

Any advice would be great, thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 1
That's pretty much exactly what you should be saying.
My only advice would be to refine the phrasing, make it a bit more unique because it seems a bit cliched to me

Good Luck :smile:
Thank you! I'm glad I'm on the right track!:smile:
Original post by sophhhhhhhhhhhhh
Thank you! I'm glad I'm on the right track!:smile:

Don't post your new version anywhere because it could well get flagged up in the Ucas plagiarism checker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I've moved your thread to the PS advice forums, as it fits in here better.

Firstly, it's a bad idea to post any sections of your PS online, as it could end up being flagged for plagarism.

Secondly, your conclusion should focus more on why you want to study psychology- rather than discussing why you think you are a good candidate. Ultimately, it's up to admissions tutors to decide if they think your skills are suitable, and although you are trying to persuade them of this, phrasing things in the way you have can get some admissions tutors backs up. It's also a bit of a waste of characters.

I would also focus more on why you want to study psychology at uni, rather than the career you want. Psychology is not a vocational course, and many people who study psychology don't go on to careers within the profession. As well as this, most psychology based careers, particularly clinical psychology and educational psychology, require further post graduate study after finishing the undergraduate degree and people can enter these post graduate courses via other routes.

Basically, your conclusion needs to summarise why you want to study psychology at uni for 3 years- rather than mainly focusing on your skills/career aspirations.
You should change the whole conclusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest