The Student Room Group

Ask about jehovahs witnesses!

questions not insults
Reply 1
Original post by TNewlands
questions not insults

Do you provide free Bibles to those that may request one, out of curiosity?

Why is this in the GCSE section, and not the AMA devoted region?
(edited 9 years ago)
do you not have an apostrophe ?
Moved to AMA
What is the reason behind not taking part in elections and not voting?
Hello, can I take a moment of your time to talk about your lord and saviour Jesus Christ?
Why don't you celebrate birthdays?
Original post by Davalla
Do you provide free Bibles to those that may request one, out of curiosity?

Why is this in the GCSE section, and not the AMA devoted region?

Yeah we do provide free bibles to anyone who wants one. Any of our publications are free and can be asked for and they are translated in hundreds of languages. The bible can also be read online on our website or downloaded.
Original post by the bear
do you not have an apostrophe ?

Lol yes we do. I left it out by mistake
Original post by barnetlad
What is the reason behind not taking part in elections and not voting?

We do not vote or get anything political because we believe that no human ruler or group can bring about peace on earth or correct the worlds conditions and that only god can so we support his heavenly government known as God's Kingdom. And just as people who do vote are loyal to their party we are loyal to our god by voting for him. We follow jesus' example of not getting involved in political things.
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2010489?q=politics&p=par

“No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other.” This scripture is a good one to show we can only serve one master. And another scripture which says that we need to be "no part of this world" because "its lying in the power of the wicked one".

" I request you, not to take them out of the world, but to watch over them because of the wicked one.They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.” (John 17:15, 16)

And this is an article showing 5 ways in which we follow this scripture:
http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102008064?q=politics&p=par
Original post by yo radical one
Hello, can I take a moment of your time to talk about your lord and saviour Jesus Christ?

Of course you can. What specifically would you like to discuss?
Original post by izpenguin
Why don't you celebrate birthdays?

Because Birthdays isn't a biblical practice but actually a pagan practice.

“The various customs with which people today celebrate their birthdays have a long history. Their origins lie in the realm of magic and religion. The customs of offering congratulations, presenting gifts and celebrating—complete with lighted candles—in ancient times were meant to protect the birthday celebrant from the demons and to ensure his security for the coming year. . . . Down to the fourth century Christianity rejected the birthday celebration as a pagan custom.”—Schwäbische Zeitung(magazine supplement Zeit und Welt), April 3/4, 1981, p. 4.

Also there are 2 stories of people having birthdays in the bible and neither were in a favorable light: Gen. 40:20-22: “Now on the third day it turned out to be Pharaoh’s birthday, and he proceeded to make a feast . . . Accordingly he returned the chief of the cupbearers to his post of cupbearer . . . But the chief of the bakers he hung up.”Matt. 14:6-10: “When Herod’s birthday was being celebrated the daughter of Herodias danced at it and pleased Herod so much that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked. Then she, under her mother’s coaching, said: ‘Give me here upon a platter the head of John the Baptist.’ . . . He sent and had John beheaded in the prison.”

Gathering together with family and friends at other ocassions to eat and drink and rejoice together is not wrong though.Eccl. 3:12, 13: “There is nothing better for them than to rejoice and to do good during one’s life; and also that every man should eat and indeed drink and see good for all his hard work. It is the gift of God.”

is there any more questions?
Original post by TNewlands
is there any more questions?

When a Jehova's Witness goes knocking on doors; what is it that they hope to achieve?
I am usually willing to talk to them, but often don't as I 'fear' as they will be expecting something of me, so how do they promote themselves?

I always enjoy the leaflets that they often leave behind, by the way.
How can any of you sit back and watch a loved one die, who could ordinarily be saved by a simple blood transfusion?
What exactly did you witness old Jehovy doing?

Quick Reply

Latest