The Student Room Group

Are my university choices too risky?

Hello

I achieved a little worse than expected at AS. I got BCC. Though my Cs were very high (both 2 UMS from a B), My B was a mid B. I have been predicted BBB although I hoped to be predicted ABB

I am planning on applying to:

Manchester(ABB)
Leicester (ABB)
Keele (BBB)
Brighton(BBB)
Portsmouth(BBC)

Do you think these are a good set of university choices? Or would you say this is too high? Do I stand a chance? I am planning on studying Geology, I don't know if this would be seen as a competitive course. Please help. Thanks!
Original post by danimorais
Hello

I achieved a little worse than expected at AS. I got BCC. Though my Cs were very high (both 2 UMS from a B), My B was a mid B. I have been predicted BBB although I hoped to be predicted ABB

I am planning on applying to:

Manchester(ABB)
Leicester (ABB)
Keele (BBB)
Brighton(BBB)
Portsmouth(BBC)

Do you think these are a good set of university choices? Or would you say this is too high? Do I stand a chance? I am planning on studying Geology, I don't know if this would be seen as a competitive course. Please help. Thanks!

Geology is not a very competitive course- however, because of the nature of the course, there is probably going to be a tighter limit on the course size than in many arts/humanities courses- so you might be a bit less likely to be let in if you miss your grades.

Did you only take 3 subjects at AS? What are your GCSEs like? /Are you retaking in order to improve your grades?

I do think you are being a little risky. Do you really think you can achieve ABB next year? Remember, getting the offer is only half the battle- you also do have to get the grades. Equally, if you do better than expected, you can use adjustment.

In your position, I would consider replacing an ABB choice with a BBC one. In your position I do think you need a safe insurance, and what happens if Portsmouth decide to put their offer up this year?
As above, I would switch one of your two ABB courses, but perhaps to one that matches your AS grades, so a BCC uni.
Reply 3
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Geology is not a very competitive course- however, because of the nature of the course, there is probably going to be a tighter limit on the course size than in many arts/humanities courses- so you might be a bit less likely to be let in if you miss your grades.

Did you only take 3 subjects at AS? What are your GCSEs like? /Are you retaking in order to improve your grades?

I do think you are being a little risky. Do you really think you can achieve ABB next year? Remember, getting the offer is only half the battle- you also do have to get the grades. Equally, if you do better than expected, you can use adjustment.

In your position, I would consider replacing an ABB choice with a BBC one. In your position I do think you need a safe insurance, and what happens if Portsmouth decide to put their offer up this year?

I Took 4 AS subjects. Dropped Biology (I got an E). At GSCE I got 4As and 6Bs. I'm retaking a geography AS unit to get my grade up. Okay. So would you say one ABB is fine? Then add a BBC/Bcc?
I Took 4 AS subjects. Dropped Biology (I got an E). At GSCE I got 4As and 6Bs. I'm retaking a geography AS unit to get my grade up. Okay. So would you say one ABB is fine? Then add a BBC/Bcc?

There's nothing wrong with having 1-2 risky choices at all, as long as you accept that you're not very likely to get offers at this level.

As I said, I do think it's worth adding another BBC choice, and the obvious way to do this is to take out an ABB choice, as they are the choices you're least likely to get offers from. Firstly, there's always a small chance of missing out on a uni you think you should get in to for whatever reason, and secondly, because although they list a standard offer, they can offer higher (or lower) and not having a BBC choice would probably leave you without an insurance.
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
There's nothing wrong with having 1-2 risky choices at all, as long as you accept that you're not very likely to get offers at this level.

As I said, I do think it's worth adding another BBC choice, and the obvious way to do this is to take out an ABB choice, as they are the choices you're least likely to get offers from. Firstly, there's always a small chance of missing out on a uni you think you should get in to for whatever reason, and secondly, because although they list a standard offer, they can offer higher (or lower) and not having a BBC choice would probably leave you without an insurance.

Oh okay. Well I've emailed Leicester and they said they would make me an offer with the predicted grades of BBB (obviously with other strong parts of my application). So I'll take out Manchester which is probably more competitive and replace it with Derby (Bcc) since I can't find any BBC unis. Thank you!
Oh okay. Well I've emailed Leicester and they said they would make me an offer with the predicted grades of BBB (obviously with other strong parts of my application). So I'll take out Manchester which is probably more competitive and replace it with Derby (Bcc) since I can't find any BBC unis. Thank you!

That sounds like a good plan.

Don't forget that if you do a lot better this year, you'll have options open to you, especially via adjustment, which is a much nicer process than going through clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest