The Student Room Group

organic chemistry

hi,am a new member. I don't understand the topic called organic chemistry, and i have read it but i still can't understand it.can someone assist me.
Reply 1
Original post by pretty star
hi,am a new member. I don't understand the topic called organic chemistry, and i have read it but i still can't understand it.can someone assist me.

Hey :biggrin:
What exactly do you need help with?
Reply 2

i can't understand the difference in their molecular structure.
Reply 3
Original post by maxwynne
Hey :biggrin:
What exactly do you need help with?

i can't seems to understand the difference in their molecular structure and their characteristics.
Reply 4
i can't understand the difference in their molecular structure.

So you don't understand isomers or...?
Reply 5
So you don't understand isomers or...?

i don't understand isomerism,polymerization and esterification.
Reply 6
i don't understand isomerism,polymerization and esterification.

any specific examples you're not sure of?
Reply 7
any specific examples you're not sure of?

i don't understand how isomers could arise from positioning of carbon-carbon multiple bonds.
Reply 8
i don't understand how isomers could arise from positioning of carbon-carbon multiple bonds.

So isomers with double bonds are stereoisomers. They arise because rotation of the carbon atoms with the double bond is restricted.
So if you use the example of but-2-ene
you can see that the difference between the two isomers of CH3CHCHC3 is the arrangement of the atoms around the C=C

Hope this helps, and if there's anything else feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 9
So isomers with double bonds are stereoisomers. They arise because rotation of the carbon atoms with the double bond is restricted.
So if you use the example of but-2-ene
you can see that the difference between the two isomers of CH3CHCHC3 is the arrangement of the atoms around the C=C

Hope this helps, and if there's anything else feel free to ask :smile:

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest