The Student Room Group

Looking for advice on my tricky situation..

Hello everyone.
First of all, I hope I'm posting this in the right section..

I am in my 3rd and final University year, which is a relief because the last three years have been the worst of my life. I will try and explain this as simply as possible in order to get to the end of it!

I failed two modules during my second year due to depression. I really wanted to get through the course, and complete it. After all, what's the point in giving up? I've realised once it's over, it's over. I can then say 'well, I achieved this' which is great.

I was allowed to complete the two modules at home for the following year. Obviously, I wasn't a full time student and was only going to be able to get the capped 40%, but I didn't mind. If anything, I enjoyed it.. being at home was always better for me as I really did hate the university life. I fell into a huge financial problem, as due to failing I was forced to move home (no student finance) and therefore had to leave the house which I had already signed the contract for.

My landlord is now banging on at me to start paying back, so reluctantly I have began doing that. I am now in my 3rd year and continuing on as a full time student, receiving funding.

However, I have missed a handful of lectures. The thing is, I don't feel I benefit from them anyway, and can quite easily get on with my work whilst I'm at home. The modules are online, and they are easy to follow and understand. My course is an arts course, and is all coursework based so therefore I am fully able to get on with what I can, whilst I'm at home.

I am attending university when I can afford to.. I am not left with much money, and I have a one on one tutorial lined up with my tutor very soon. What should I say to him? I seriously cannot justify paying the train fares and travelling 2 hours there and 2 hours back to attend lectures which are often cancelled, or last a maximum of one hour.

It is frustrating, but I have received a concerned email and don't know how to tackle this issue. I want to get through the course as there are only around 7 months left, but I am dealing with personal struggles (depression, once again and social anxiety - this is getting worse by the minute)

I am not receiving much support, and my tutors have been rather flippant and off-hand over emails, 'you need to be here and you're not, it's up to you to commit'. But I AM committing. If I can't afford to get there and attend, then I can't afford it. I'm still treating this as a full time course, because I put in full time work. I'm studying, working on projects and researching 9-5 almost daily.

Any advice would be SO helpful. Thank you all for reading this, I'm aware it comes across as a bit rambly but all well.

Hope everyone is well :smile:
I know you can't predict your own depressive periods, but you should've thought long and hard about the uni you chose to go to. It's clear from your post that you wouldn't be able to afford accommodation, so what made you think that four hours of commuting a day was able to compensate? Really, you should have chosen a uni closer to home so that you wouldn't miss any lecture intentionally and others would know how you got on
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
I know you can't predict your own depressive periods, but you should've thought long and hard about the uni you chose to go to. It's clear from your post that you wouldn't be able to afford accommodation, so what made you think that four hours of commuting a day was able to compensate? Really, you should have chosen a uni closer to home so that you wouldn't miss any lecture intentionally and others would know how you got on

I don't mind the commuting to be honest, I just can't justify the amount I pay for the little I get from being there. A lot of people moan about commuting, but really i'm sitting perfectly comfortably on a train, reading a book, listening to music etc. It isn't a big deal, but it's expensive.

I was perfectly happy when I first started university, but it became a downhill struggle, and it just got the point where I thought 'so, I need to get through this now but how am I going to do it?' that is exactly why I didn't give up. I don't enjoy the course, but I do like studying and I'm happy to get on with work and produce the results I need.
Reply 3
Sorry you are finding thing so difficult. I think you really need to see your tutor as soon as possible so that they can understand your situation and help you find a way forward. Most universities have a range of support/welfare services for students and you might find them helpful. At the end of the day you are a full time student and it is not unreasonable for the university to expect you to attend.
Reply 4
Original post by marple
At the end of the day you are a full time student and it is not unreasonable for the university to expect you to attend.

Oh absolutely, I do understand the concern.. But it's difficult. I'll try and attend as much as I can, or better still, when I know it's extremely important and would be detrimental otherwise.

Hopefully my meeting will go well and I'll have some clarity on the matter.

Quick Reply

Latest