The Student Room Group

Gay couple ‘thrown off London bus for kissing’

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/20/gay-couple-thrown-off-london-bus-kissing

Being a gay male myself, I found this absolutely mortifying. Sure, a bus isn't exactly the place for PDA, but the way the bus driver handled the situation (the language he used and kicking the couple of the bus) was disgusting. I'm happy The Guardian decided to cover this, as something like this would probably get ZERO media coverage in the US (I'm from NYC, btw).

What do you guys think about the situation? Who was right, and why? Feel free to post anything relevant that would add to the discussion.

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely disgusting behaviour, the bus driver was completely in the wrong, no two ways about it.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
Absolutely disgusting behaviour, the bus driver was completely in the wrong, no two ways about it.

Original post by O.Ozz
Do you know what i think of the sitatution. I would rather not say.

HINT HINT :puke:

I'm happy you guys agree, because some of the comments on the article were outright nasty...
While what the driver did in the story was very wrong, the headline is just a bit misleading as they weren't thrown off the bus.
Reply 4
They weren't literally thrown off, but the bus driver did ask them to get off the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some people need to understand that their bigotry is no longer acceptable

sooner he is fired the better
That is absolutely disgusting!

Seriously I thought people were growing up on homosexuality. Makes me not want to come out as bisexual to my parents, at this rate I probably wont. I'd be mortified if they acted like this! The driver should be fired for being a complete ****er
(edited 9 years ago)
I am a little surprised the incident has not been reported in the press before now.
That is ridiculous. Unless they were really making out right next to the driver or being inappropriate, they shouldn't have been thrown off the bus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I bet if they were hot lesbians the bus driver would have given them a free day pass
Original post by h3isenberg
I bet if they were hot lesbians the bus driver would have given them a free day pass

Haha definitely:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
This really shouldn't happen in a civilised country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As someone who is always wary and skeptical of pathetic people who always try and kick up a fuss and make an accusation of prejudice where there is none.

This is disgusting.
First response when I read the thread title:

No sympathy - it's really offputting when people are just making out in front of everyone on a train or bus. Probably someone just using the homosexual thing to make a point out of it and cause trouble.

Response after reading the article:

What a **** the driver is, and how wrong I was for assuming otherwise. Whoever the driver is needs to grow a pair and wake up to the 21st century, or be left behind and rot with the rest.
It is free world not everyone is going to approve of such relationship
(edited 9 years ago)
Am I the only one who saw the fact that they got off at their stop?

It's pathetic how far people are willing to exaggerate facts just to get angry at something. Clickbait at it's lowest.
I think it's disgusting for the driver to say such things to the couple. I often see straight couples kissing when they're on the bus and of course no bus driver would threaten to kick them off the bus.
Original post by Arkasia
Am I the only one who saw the fact that they got off at their stop?

It's pathetic how far people are willing to exaggerate facts just to get angry at something. Clickbait at it's lowest.

Even though they did get off at their stop, the bus driver did still ask them to get off the bus...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by robthehero
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/20/gay-couple-thrown-off-london-bus-kissing

Being a gay male myself, I found this absolutely mortifying. Sure, a bus isn't exactly the place for PDA, but the way the bus driver handled the situation (the language he used and kicking the couple of the bus) was disgusting. I'm happy The Guardian decided to cover this, as something like this would probably get ZERO media coverage in the US (I'm from NYC, btw).

What do you guys think about the situation? Who was right, and why? Feel free to post anything relevant that would add to the discussion.

''Yes, it’s my bus, it is my rules, and I don’t want to watch that. It’s disgusting. Get off the bus.''

He shouldn't be 'watching that' he should be watching the ****ing road.

What an *******.

I 100% support the gay couple. A peck on the lips shouldn't be a problem for anyone.
Original post by robthehero
Even though they did get off at their stop, the bus driver did still ask them to get off the bus...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not the driver, so I can't say why he did what he did, or what he was thinking, and neither can you. I suspect that he knew it was their stop (if they were moving as to get off by going to the front, or remembering where they bought their tickets to), got angry (he was in the wrong here), probably didn't want to waste time causing more or a scene or an argument, and told them to get off. He was wrong for getting angry and revealing his views, but he hardly 'threw them off the bus'.

Latest