The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Fail or not, things can be learnt and benefited from every single relationship one has.

Yes that was my original point
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Yes that was my original point

Good job! :smile:
Original post by WeedCanKill
To everyone who is giving examples of their parents/grandparents as if they're trying to prove a point:

1) No one cares.
2) We live in a different age now, with online social networking and online dating and the pill and Feminism it'll be a rarity for someone to be together 15+ years. Just because your grandparents got together at 17 and stayed together does not mean you definitely will.

Had to be said, I make no apologies.

Nowp

With the people that plaster their relationships all over social media with constant "selfie's with bae <33333" and giving every single thing you've done with them on Facebook, yeah that can affect your relationship

But still the vast majority of people that at least I know (but definitely not all...) are more reserved with their relationships and social media and it hasn't affected any of their relationships in the slightest

Online dating and the pill and Feminism. Well you can't use online dating til you're 18 anyway, and Christ knows what the pill and Feminism has to do with it xD
Some last and some don't, age isn't really and issue as it's evident from this thread. I think as long as you find the right person it's not neccesarily stupid and as long as you don't take it as a joke or a one off thing.
To everyone who is giving examples of their parents/grandparents as if they're trying to prove a point:

1) No one cares.
2) We live in a different age now, with online social networking and online dating and the pill and Feminism it'll be a rarity for someone to be together 15+ years. Just because your grandparents got together at 17 and stayed together does not mean you definitely will.

Had to be said, I make no apologies.

Could you please explain to me how the things listed in point 2 affect the length of relationships?
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
In my opinion teen relationships SHOULD end in 'heartbreak'. It's a rite of passage. If you've never been through it, survived and realised what else is out there you end up clinging to the first relationship you have for fear of being alone. I think relationships in your late teens and early twenties are, although superficial for the most part, actually quite important in the long run. You're in a much better position if you've experienced a few relationships by the time you want to settle down.

Whilst I don't agree with them having to end it heartbreak the vast majority probably do and that isn't a bad thing. It's better than having done nothing.

*sigh*
Original post by BlueSheep32
We have both changed a lot since we met, but love each other more than ever.

Changing together, not changing and pulling apart from each other= how every lifelong relationship that started in the teens managed to work ever.
Original post by kpwxx
I agree with you in that I personally don't think I could be in a relationship that I expected to end - I'd think 'I may as well end it now'. Though I know some people who seem to be able to handle this fine.

However, not all teen relationships will necessarily not work out. I have been with my husband since we were 16, we are now 23 (I'm nearly 24) and obviously married (this summer). My parents were also together at 16, and one of my good friends who is now planning her wedding got together with her partner at 18. OK, not the majority, but still many teen relationships do last long term.

xxx

How is it obvious that you're married? Most people I know wouldn't marry at 23 and I suspect that is the same for many people.
Reply 48
My parents started dating when they were 17 and 18, married at 19 and 20 and were still together until my dad died six years ago; one of my friends started dating her partner when we were in sixth form, shes 29 now.
(edited 9 years ago)
What if one person is a teenager and the other is not? Does that make the relationship productive and valid for one partner and not for the other?
Reply 50
Original post by Holby_fanatic
How is it obvious that you're married? Most people I know wouldn't marry at 23 and I suspect that is the same for many people.

Because I had already said that he is my husband.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Because I had already said that he is my husband.

xxx

I completely missed that part. This is awks... Sorry.
Reply 52
Original post by Holby_fanatic
I completely missed that part. This is awks... Sorry.

It's OK lol, easy mistake!

xxx
Original post by JulietheCat
A friend of mine has a saying: "98% of all teenage relationships end in disaster."

He may have made up the statistic - but I believe the saying. In school, I dated many people who were:

-liars
-cheaters
-gold-diggers
-criminals
...etc

I've had my heart broken many times, and for what? I'd rather have had just 1-3 relationships in my life. If I were to choose again, I would have not dated until I was ready.

Lol wHAT? Gold-diggers? Criminals? What, they stole a packet of polo's from the corner shop?
Not sure what people have been discussing - dont have time to read it all, but I just thought I would add:

Teen relationships may be doomed to fail, but that does not mean they are stupid.

Infact, I would say they play a huge role in the development of our relational skills, dating skills, confidence, etc.

As a younger person, your far more willing to take risks, and the dating skills that can be learnt from say 12-18 can be really useful..

Out of all those I know who are still not dating by early to mid 20s, most of them are so paralysed by fear, or have so little confidence with dating, and not enough understanding/experiance to take hold of a situation when it does arise.. and for some of them, I would put this right back to not having those silly relationships when you are a teenager..

One of the biggest things they can teach you, is that rejection is not the end of the world, and that life goes on.. You take the risk when you are young, maybe get rejected, maybe have a relationship or two.. and you learn that this is just how things go, and not to fear occasional rejection. You can learn the bassics of dating, flirting, how to talk to people of the oposite sex who you like, etc. all whilst you are still young..

Now, ofcourse there are countless exceptions to this, and people who start dating later.. and this is entirely just my opinion.. but for me, those who are in the most stable relationships that I see in my age-range now (mid 20s) are those who dated as a teenager..

So no, they are not stupid.. neither should they be taken serriously.. instead they should be used as just what they are, like most things when you a young: a time to learn, to experiment, and to make mistakes, without the fear and ramifications of adult life
Original post by Nangnang
Could you please explain to me how the things listed in point 2 affect the length of relationships?

Ease if access to new flings and old flames.
Original post by AdamCee
Nowp

With the people that plaster their relationships all over social media with constant "selfie's with bae <33333" and giving every single thing you've done with them on Facebook, yeah that can affect your relationship

But still the vast majority of people that at least I know (but definitely not all...) are more reserved with their relationships and social media and it hasn't affected any of their relationships in the slightest

Online dating and the pill and Feminism. Well you can't use online dating til you're 18 anyway, and Christ knows what the pill and Feminism has to do with it xD

Access to old flames and new flings, people interfering and chatting and causing jealousy and the such. Yeah it's a valid point so don't try to dismiss it kid.
Ease if access to new flings and old flames.

If someone's gonna get with an new fling or old flame, then they always would have left the other person regardless. Relationships have always been about the ability to commit, both now and in the past. If someone can commit they can commit regardless of age, if someone can't then they never will. It is a little more difficult at a younger age sure but not impossible. People have always had access to new flings, the only difference now is the lazy people do too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cheeriosarenice
Lol wHAT? Gold-diggers? Criminals? What, they stole a packet of polo's from the corner shop?

There was a gold digger slut who spread horrible gossip about me.
And the criminal stole a top from the House of Frasier so I would break up with him.
Original post by Nangnang
If someone's gonna get with an new fling or old flame, then they always would have left the other person regardless. Relationships have always been about the ability to commit, both now and in the past. If someone can commit they can commit regardless of age, if someone can't then they never will. It is a little more difficult at a younger age sure but not impossible. People have always had access to new flings, the only difference now is the lazy people do to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get some practice for University, you'll need it. http://dspace.ubvu.vu.nl/bitstream/handle/1871/32712/Utz%20%26%20Beukeboom%20JCMC2011%20SNSuseandromanticrelationships%20(preprint).pdf?sequence=2

Latest

Trending

Trending