The Student Room Group

Teen relationships under 20 are so stupid....

Hey guys,

I'm 15 years at the moment and I really don't get teen relationships. Some people at my school claim they're in "love" at 15 but I think they're in lust... I mean I sat my friend down and asked him "are you going to marry her" and he was like no. So I asked why he was even in a relationship since it would obviously end up in heart brake and he said "because everyone else is". Does anybody else find it extremely idiotic for teenagers to be in relationships that rarely go any ware, unless something has split :P

I mean I am going to start dating, when I'm around 20 and hopefully in Uni because at least they can actually last

Scroll to see replies

A friend of mine has a saying: "98% of all teenage relationships end in disaster."

He may have made up the statistic - but I believe the saying. In school, I dated many people who were:

-liars
-cheaters
-gold-diggers
-criminals
...etc

I've had my heart broken many times, and for what? I'd rather have had just 1-3 relationships in my life. If I were to choose again, I would have not dated until I was ready.
I started going out with my fiance when we were 14, we're now 20 and he proposed to me a few weeks ago. It can work long term sometimes, so no I don't think it's idiotic.
Did you need to specify that teen relationships are under 20? :hmmm:
Original post by JulietheCat

I've had my heart broken many times, and for what?

Your sexing up the wrong guys babes
Original post by TheTruthTeller
hopefully in Uni because at least they can actually last

I don't think you have the slightest idea how girls act whilst they're at University...

EDIT: Inb4 Feminist mob
(edited 9 years ago)
My parents got together at 14, and are still together 38 years later...
(edited 9 years ago)
They're slightly dishonest. They're more like a social agreement; partners are there to sort of satisfy needs for a time being. Nothing serious comes of them basically.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got with my boyfriend at 14, 5 years later we're still going strong. Not every teen relationship ends in heartbreak :redface:
Reply 9
Hey guys,

I'm 15 years at the moment and I really don't get teen relationships. Some people at my school claim they're in "love" at 15 but I think they're in lust... I mean I sat my friend down and asked him "are you going to marry her" and he was like no. So I asked why he was even in a relationship since it would obviously end up in heart brake and he said "because everyone else is". Does anybody else find it extremely idiotic for teenagers to be in relationships that rarely go any ware, unless something has split :P

I mean I am going to start dating, when I'm around 20 and hopefully in Uni because at least they can actually last

Part of the point in young relationships, at least in my view, is to find out what you like and don't like. It is through this experience that you can finally work out (usually later in life) who you want to settle down with.

Other than that it is fun.
I think he's trying to make the point that more do than don't end in heartbreak
"Teen relationships under 20", opposed to all those teen relationships over 20????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fat_hobbit
Your sexing up the wrong guys babes

:hand: I didn't know they are like they are, until a few months into the relationships.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hey guys,

I agree with you in that I personally don't think I could be in a relationship that I expected to end - I'd think 'I may as well end it now'. Though I know some people who seem to be able to handle this fine.

However, not all teen relationships will necessarily not work out. I have been with my husband since we were 16, we are now 23 (I'm nearly 24) and obviously married (this summer). My parents were also together at 16, and one of my good friends who is now planning her wedding got together with her partner at 18. OK, not the majority, but still many teen relationships do last long term.

xxx
Reply 14

Don't get your hopes up, bud. Failed relationships teach you how to hold a successful one anyway.

Also my parents got together at 17 and married at 21 and here they are 25 years later. They have been married, literally, half their lives.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Are you trying that when you are finally 20 you get the super power to handle relationships? So, if you are, let's say, 19 years old and 364 days you don't have that super power? Damn. I wish I was 20 then.
My grandparents married at 19 and have been together for a total of 46 years. It was broken up due to death :rip:
I think the main reason relationships at that age generally don't last is because you change a lot as a person between the ages of, say 15, and 20. I started dating my boyfriend at 14/15 and we split up constantly :rolleyes: but I think that's because we both weren't ready for the seriousness of a relationship, despite how mature we both think we are. Now, five years later we are together and it's working because we can talk through our problems and act maturely, making mature decisions for ourselves. Neither one of us are the people that we were when we are 14 and we have both seriously changed, it just so happens that we still like each other despite it.

Relationships at university aren't easy, especially in my case when it's long distance. It's hard work, like any other grown up relationship, but we are working through it and we will be better people and have a better relationship for it.
I'm 18 and I've had many relationships with girls my age and older who were not actually that invested and were just treating things as a bit of fun rather than commitment. I'm now with a 17 year old, my first relationship with a younger girl and things have never been more serious, yeah I could definitely see myself with her long term :smile: I think a stable disposable income, being free to an extent from the constraints of Mum and Dad, sexual confidence and maturity are the deciding factors in whether or not you can have a proper relationship. It's definitely possible to have a serious relationship before 20, I'd say it was impossible before 16 though. My parents got together when they were 14, they're now 42 and married with two children :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I think almost every relationship I have witnessed that started younger than 22-23 ended in a breakup.

Most people tend to fin their ultimate partner at some point in their late 20s.

Latest

Trending

Trending