The Student Room Group

Another Personal Statement thread Sorry!!

Hi everyone,

I'm sure your all bored to death answering various threads on compleating your perosnal statement.But I desperatly need help with my personal statement.The thing I need the most help on writting the first line. Currently it is

"Reading in the newspaper about the various cases that take place everyday is what first sparked off my interest in Law".

But can you guys help me come up with something more memorable and impressive.

Also i need some genaral advice. I've spent the first papragraph discussing the natwest 3 case and how it has deepened my intrest to study human rights as a module at university. However, do you think this is a waste of time or do u think i should spend more time writting about why i want to study law in general. Plse reply as i'm desperate. Reps for any one who comes with a really good suggestion.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Where are you applying?
Reply 2
I'm applying to KCL, Queen Mary, City, Westminister, Exeter and Reading.
Natwest 3 is a pretty interesting case, but rather than HR its more about international law, should the USA be able to rely on a treaty which it has itself not ratified since treaties are generally based on a principle of reciprocity...

HR things can arise, but the guys should clearly stand trial in the USA so they cant. The main issue is whether they should be able to rely on the treaty or not IMO.
Reply 4
I dunno about that first line, I'd talk about the all encompassing, and universal nature of law and how that draws you to the subject. How you picked up on it through stuff you read in the newspapers I'd put in the second line.
Reply 5
Thnks you guys.
everyone talks about the universal thing, its so generic.
Reply 7

:ditto: If I were you, I would begin by saying why YOU want to study Law - that's the whole point of the personal statement. Anyone can write 'The law encompasses a variety of areas, all of which have a massive impact on the way we live our lives' etc. etc.
Reply 8
I agree totally Lewis. The universal thing is what i kind of wanted to aviod any suggestions then lewis, u do usually come up with good suggestions.

To brown but i dont have any good reasons why i want to go into law. i think its academiaclly changling stimulating course. It would also allow me persue a rewarding career path. but apart from that i dont really have much to write. Would a law admissions officer take me seriously?
rather than something so standard, go for something much more topical and modern, theres loads of stuff around atm such as Natwest 3, this new crime of inciting religious hatred etc etc anything I give you which isnt in the press will be unrealistic for you to know about it,

those 2 examples though I would imagine will be in a multitude of personal statements this year, so I guess you just have to think long and hard.
Reply 10
I agree totally Lewis. The universal thing is what i kind of wanted to aviod any suggestions then lewis, u do usually come up with good suggestions.

To brown but i dont have any good reasons why i want to go into law. i think its academiaclly changling stimulating course. It would also allow me persue a rewarding career path. but apart from that i dont really have much to write. Would a law admissions officer take me seriously?

That's a perfectly acceptable reason for wanting to study Law - just make sure you convey your enthusiasm to the admissions tutor! Also, as Lewis said, try to include some knowledge of current affairs, nothing too controversial though :smile:
PM Ethereal - he's a PS Helper and he's done his law degree :smile:
Reply 12
Lewis-HuStuJCR

I did too lol.
Yeah me too, seemed like a good idea at the time.
If you want something interesting to write about in your personal statement then human rights issues is definitely a good one. Human rights issues come up in no matter what area of the law you are studying. There is an on-going topical debate about whether we need to replace the Human rights Act 1998 with a modern bill of rights. This would be a good thing to refer to in your personal statement.
Use the links in this thread if you want to read more about it.
Yeah that is actually a really good one super, it always looks dodgy if you say "the tories want to abolish the HRA" but then you realise they want something new in its place hah, I guess the main benefit of the HRA is the reference to the European Court of Human Rights, but since I cant be bothered to read the speeches it may be the case that a modern BOR would alse refer to it.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Yeah that is actually a really good one super, it always looks dodgy if you say "the tories want to abolish the HRA" but then you realise they want something new in its place hah, I guess the main benefit of the HRA is the reference to the European Court of Human Rights, but since I cant be bothered to read the speeches it may be the case that a modern BOR would alse refer to it.

No. Human rights issues will basically be dealt with by the domestic courts.
Cameron's speech is actually quite faulty. He refers to cases (like Chahal) that make his points but in fact they don't.
I see little reason to bring about such a fundamental change for no real apparent reason, but thats what the tories are all about :p:
Yeah it seems a bit dodgy to take it back into the sphere of the domestic courts alone, seems a step in the wrong direction if you ask me. But the tories will argue that they dont want to fetter our national sovereignty and go for nationalistic pride of voters... i reckon they will win the next election anyway, labour cant keep pleasing ppl for much longer, everyone is becoming tired of their internal bickering.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Yeah it seems a bit dodgy to take it back into the sphere of the domestic courts alone, seems a step in the wrong direction if you ask me. But the tories will argue that they dont want to fetter our national sovereignty and go for nationalistic pride of voters... i reckon they will win the next election anyway, labour cant keep pleasing ppl for much longer, everyone is becoming tired of their internal bickering.

What internal bickering? :confused: :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending