The Student Room Group

Draw an Argand diagram showing the set of points z for which the given condition is t

Draw an Argand diagram showing the set of points z for which the given condition is true.

I am working on some of these question examples and I can understand how to do if for example question is of form:

|z| = 2

or

|z - 4| <= 3

or

|z - 5j| = 6

In the above cases I am showing geometrically the difference between z and the value above. and that seems conceptually quite logical.

But then I get this:

|z + 3 - 4j| < 5

So my thinking with this one was that I would shade the circle (not including = 5 value) centred on 3 - 4i.

My reasoning for 3 - 4j as centre was that 3 - 4j + z must be < 5.

My book says centre should be -3 + 4j and I can see that technique is to change z + 3 - 4j into z - (-3 + 4j) but I can't get my head round this. Can someone please explain?
Original post by acomber

As part of finding the distance between two points you subtract one from the other, so to speak.

So, |z-4| is the distance between z and 4.

Similarly |z-(-3+4j)| is the distance between z and -3+4j

Edit: If you were just working with real numbers, instead of complex, would |x+4| be obvious as the distance between x and -4 ?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ghostwalker
As part of finding the distance between two points you subtract one from the other, so to speak.

So, |z-4| is the distance between z and 4.

Similarly |z-(-3+4j)| is the distance between z and -3+4j

Edit: If you were just working with real numbers, instead of complex, would |x+4| be obvious as the distance between x and -4 ?

OK so |z-(-3+4j)| represents the distance between z and -3+4j. I understand that. But what then does |z+(3-4j)| represent?
Original post by acomber
OK so |z-(-3+4j)| represents the distance between z and -3+4j. I understand that. But what then does |z+(3-4j)| represent?

Mathematically they're the same.
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
Mathematically they're the same.

Just been thinking about this and height of Ben Nevis + height of Snowdon does equal height Ben Nevis - (-height Snowdon). And a + b same as a - (-b). And a + bj + c + dj equal to a + bj - (-c - dj) so o I suppose yes. Confused me a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest