The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher French 2014

Hi!
I'm self teaching Advanced Higher French this year, and I'd love to study French at university next year. I have already pretty much finalised my literacy study so that's out the way, my issue is the topics. I have a list of them all and I've searched every day since June, but I'm really struggling to find resources to get me through the coursework. I don't really understand what is required, and what I'm expected to do for each topic. I've tried to find information on them,, reading and listening materials, but most things come up pretty useless or totally blank.
If anybody can help me it would be massively appreciated! You can probably tell as it's already October and I've not got much evidence that I've even been studying I'm kind of stressed....
Thank you!!
Louise x
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by louisedurhl
Hi!
I'm self teaching Advanced Higher French this year, and I'd love to study French at university next year. I have already pretty much finalised my literacy study so that's out the way, my issue is the topics. I have a list of them all and I've searched every day since June, but I'm really struggling to find resources to get me through the coursework. I don't really understand what is required, and what I'm expected to do for each topic. I've tried to find information on them,, reading and listening materials, but most things come up pretty useless or totally blank.
If anybody can help me it would be massively appreciated! You can probably tell as it's already October and I've not got much evidence that I've even been studying I'm kind of stressed....
Thank you!!
Louise x

I think I may be able to help as I'm a teacher. Could you please clarify a few things? I need to know:

- The board you are studying - I'm not quite sure which board uses the term "Advanced Higher" unless you are in Scotland or in Ireland?

- A list of the topic areas you need to study.

- And, if possible, a link to the syllabus and/or past papers.

If you're self-teaching, what are you doing about the oral?
Reply 3
Hello! Thank you very much. Yes, I'm in Scotland so we're on the SQA system with Advanced Highers.

My topics for the year are;
L'Environnement
Protection de l'Environnement
Les Médias
La France et les Français
Les Arts
La Famille
L'Europe

This should be a link to AH past papers
http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=French&level=AH

For the oral, I have a ten minute practise in January/February time which is with a French teacher in my school about anything from the first three topics, or school life in general, and my final oral exam is a 20 conversation in February/March about anything from any of the topics, with an external examiner.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help and reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by louisedurhl
Hello! Thank you very much. Yes, I'm in Scotland so we're on the SQA system with Advanced Highers.

My topics for the year are;
L'Environnement
Protection de l'Environnement
Les Médias
La France et les Français
Les Arts
La Famille
L'Europe

This should be a link to AH past papers
http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm?subject=French&level=AH

For the oral, I have a ten minute practise in January/February time which is with a French teacher in my school about anything from the first three topics, or school life in general, and my final oral exam is a 20 conversation in February/March about anything from any of the topics, with an external examiner.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help and reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the link; that was very helpful. I've also had a look at the syllabus.

There are several free resources on the internet you will find useful:

www.rfi.fr is the equivalent of the BBC World Service. This is a huge website; I recommend the articles (you will need to pick and choose amongst what there is to fit in with your topics) and the daily "Journal en français facile" (under the "Apprendre" tab. Take your time to browse, there's masses of stuff.

www.fr.euronews.com is Europe-orientated. They have audio files with written summaries, which can be helpful for comprehension and, underneath the articles, they have topic-related links.

http://www.france2.fr/emissions/telematin is the website for an excellent breakfast-TV news programme. Presented as a magazine, they have regular features which fit into your topic areas. Click on the "replay" tab for the day's videos; click on the other tabs ("vie pratique", "actu" etc.) for menus to archives. Again, you will need to browse to find stuff. I often find useful stuff under "Vie pratique - conso", "Santé"; "Culture - Régions". When you have clicked on the tab in the menu, you will get a list of archived articles (giving the titles and about five lines of summary) and you will need to click on the link "lire la suite" to get to the video. It's not a very intuitive website, but the content is excellent.

The advantage of these three is that they are all current affairs websites so the content is updated daily, but they keep their old stuff as well.

If you tell me what exactly are you doing for your coursework, I might be able to help you find more targeted resources. When you reply, please could you click on the quotation marks tab (to the right of the reply tab); that way I get a notification that you've replied and it makes it a bit easier for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending