The Student Room Group

cant cope with life

I'm feeling really crappy. I don't have anyone to talk to or anyone who gives a crap about me. I feel really lonely, I just cant cope anymore and I just want to give up on life. :frown:

The few friends I made in uni have stopped bothering with me, no-one makes an effort with me, so I just cant be bothered anymore. I've started work recently, and all these emotions, loneliness, and this overwhelming feeling is just affecting my work. All the new starters have mingled in with everyone and all exchange numbers and have a laugh etc.

Then there's boring me who has nothing to talk about. Today has been the worst, I've felt like crying the whole day. I've spent the whole of last night crying because I just cant cope with life, I just need someone to talk too. :cry:

Scroll to see replies

Have you considered talking to Nightline or the Samaritans? They offer a confidential listening service if you need to offload somewhere. Your university probably has a counseling service if you'd prefer to see someone face to face.

I hope you feel better soon. :console:
Reply 2
Ye but wat makes u think I'd cope with death any better tho

Forget needing friends
Become a poet and channel those thoughts into an artform

Acquire mad dollars and luv lyf
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey OP,
Really sorry to hear you're feeling crappy :frown: as the above poster mentioned, please go and make an appointment with the counselling service at your university. I was feeling a bit lost last year and found that it was just really nice to talk to someone who is detached from your specific situation. It helps get a bit of perspective and they can help you make an action plan.
On the friends situation, I would recommend joining a society. I was feeling really lonely and stuff last year and then I joined a society (I'm now President of this society) and that really helped me find people I got on with etc.
Maybe try writing your feelings down in a diary - I feel this sometimes helps me to then focus on work without feeling down about it all.
Hope this helps and you feel better soon! :smile:
Hey OP, if you need someone to talk to then I'm here for you :smile:
Like what's already been said maybe you should speak to a councillor at your university. Also it would be great to join a society as you will meet people with common interests there and make lots of friends.
Hope it all works out for you :smile:
Please don't hesitate to PM me and we can talk through all your worries,
I'm always hear for you and would love to help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sabertooth
Have you considered talking to Nightline or the Samaritans? They offer a confidential listening service if you need to offload somewhere. Your university probably has a counseling service if you'd prefer to see someone face to face.

I hope you feel better soon. :console:

I did want to talk to them. However you have to call them, which I don't want to do. I prefer some sort of online chat, where I can stay anonymous. :frown:

Original post by Kaiju
Ye but wat makes u think I'd cope with death any better tho

Forget needing friends
Become a poet and channel those thoughts into an artform

Acquire mad dollars and luv lyf

I know i'd cope with death better, cuz there would be no pain after that. everything would be over for good.
I've lied to myself my whole life that I don't need friends, but I just cant do it anymore.

Original post by HibbsicleBean19
Hey OP,
Really sorry to hear you're feeling crappy :frown: as the above poster mentioned, please go and make an appointment with the counselling service at your university. I was feeling a bit lost last year and found that it was just really nice to talk to someone who is detached from your specific situation. It helps get a bit of perspective and they can help you make an action plan.
On the friends situation, I would recommend joining a society. I was feeling really lonely and stuff last year and then I joined a society (I'm now President of this society) and that really helped me find people I got on with etc.
Maybe try writing your feelings down in a diary - I feel this sometimes helps me to then focus on work without feeling down about it all.
Hope this helps and you feel better soon! :smile:

Original post by futuremedic19
Hey OP, if you need someone to talk to then I'm here for you :smile:
Like what's already been said maybe you should speak to a councillor at your university. Also it would be great to join a society as you will meet people with common interests there and make lots of friends.
Hope it all works out for you :smile:
Please don't hesitate to PM me and we can talk through all your worries,
I'm always hear for you and would love to help :smile:

I work so I don't have the time for societies.
thank you..
Reply 6
today I saw my manager make a face at me and laughing, when they were talking to another colleague. As soon as I turned round and asked what had happened, they ignored me and pretended to talk to someone else. :frown:
You seem to have a low self-esteem. No one is boring! :smile: Reading is a healthy habit that keeps one sharp and interesting. Read ANY book a week so you have something to talk about. :biggrin:

You also seem to be under a lot of stress so do regular exercise like walking for 30 min daily. Exercise releases endorphins which make you feel good about yourself.

Do something daring to build your confidence up e.g. SMILE and say hello to 5 new people everyday OR join a public-speaking/debates club. Yes you have to do some things outside your comfort zone so that you are no longer shy.

Making an appointment with the counselling service sounds like a good idea. At the very least you should do that so that a professional can give you the best guidelines.
Original post by Anonymous
I did want to talk to them. However you have to call them, which I don't want to do. I prefer some sort of online chat, where I can stay anonymous. :frown:

R.e. this part of your reply - maybe try this site? http://www.7cupsoftea.com/
they say that they delete all conversations afterwards and it might just help you to talk to someone anonymously.
Definitely talk to someone as it is much easier, and I talk from experience, to cope when you have someone to talk who understands and listens! :smile:
:hugs:
today I saw my manager make a face at me and laughing, when they were talking to another colleague. As soon as I turned round and asked what had happened, they ignored me and pretended to talk to someone else. :frown:

Urm, they don't sound very nice. Is it possible to look for another job and quit?
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you live in London?

I despise people who put others down, especially if they're feeling down already :angry:
Try not to pay attention to them, get your job done and focus on your mental health. When you feel good about yourself and know your worth, it will show and might even make you more approachable to people. You can PM anytime if you like. Make your degree and your mental health a priority! Friends and dealing with them come second.
DON'T GIVE UP!! KEEEP ONN GOING!! Don't let your mind convince you that your not loved or cared about, THERE is definitely someone that care about you but they fear that you might not care about them or feel the same way since you seem a bit anti-social. YOU control your ideas and mind, not the opposite! Your brain is controlling you and this should not occur! Try to start talking to your colleagues and try to be more cheerful! You might find them interesting. Don't tell yourself and convince yourself that you are not loved or you suck at communicating with people. Many people go through such stages in life and remain in such stage for a long time, and do you know when they get out of it? When they convince their self that they are talented, have communication skills, and most definitely they control their ideas! During coffee breaks in your work, try to socialize with people, talk with them about anything, work, interests, where are they studying or from where did they graduate, and then continue the conversation. Many people will continue the conversation if they saw you interested. KEEP ON GOING AND DON'T GIVE UP!
I hope you feel better now OP,

I'm here if you want to talk :smile:
"Death is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." If you ever want to chat message me. I just moved to a new state and have no job and no friends here. It is lonely and I am usually a social person. I even talk to people in passing in the grocery store just to try and make another human connection.

I had friends in school kinda... I had people I hung out with but I always felt alone and like no one understood me. I felt like I couldn't talk to or confide in anyone. I felt miserable. It took time but I slowly starting talking to people and letting them in. I would tell them little things about myself or my life. I made mistakes and pushed people away or told them something that maybe I wasn't really ready to divulge about myself or something they weren't ready to learn about me all cause I wanted to make friends and connect so much. Take time making connections and friends.

This is just my opinion. I hope it helps. I may not know you but I care about you. :-) You are a good person.
I did want to talk to them. However you have to call them, which I don't want to do. I prefer some sort of online chat, where I can stay anonymous. :frown:.

You can email the Samaritans and they aim to get back to you within 24 hours - you could create an email account in order to do this if you want your main email to stay anonymous.

Nightline also has a 1:1 online messaging service if you'd prefer that to email.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by HibbsicleBean19
R.e. this part of your reply - maybe try this site? http://www.7cupsoftea.com/
they say that they delete all conversations afterwards and it might just help you to talk to someone anonymously.
Definitely talk to someone as it is much easier, and I talk from experience, to cope when you have someone to talk who understands and listens! :smile:
:hugs:

thank you. i'll check it out later. :smile:

Original post by Ankabout
Urm, they don't sound very nice. Is it possible to look for another job and quit?

No.

Original post by cole-slaw
Do you live in London?

Yes.
No.

Move to another department then? If still not possible, I guess the best thing to do is ignore the negativity. It's never worth getting caught up in office politics.

Just concentrate on your own work and excel in your job.
I'm feeling really crappy. I don't have anyone to talk to or anyone who gives a crap about me. I feel really lonely, I just cant cope anymore and I just want to give up on life. :frown:

The few friends I made in uni have stopped bothering with me, no-one makes an effort with me, so I just cant be bothered anymore. I've started work recently, and all these emotions, loneliness, and this overwhelming feeling is just affecting my work. All the new starters have mingled in with everyone and all exchange numbers and have a laugh etc.

Then there's boring me who has nothing to talk about. Today has been the worst, I've felt like crying the whole day. I've spent the whole of last night crying because I just cant cope with life, I just need someone to talk too. :cry:

It's okay to have a cry darling. PM if you like.
Original post by Sabertooth
You can email the Samaritans and they aim to get back to you within 24 hours - you could create an email account in order to do this if you want your main email to stay anonymous.

Nightline also has a 1:1 online messaging service if you'd prefer that to email.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thank you. Can I stay anonymous on nightline?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending