The Student Room Group

Am I the only one that is incredibly miffed at Doctor Who?

Now don't get me wrong, I love doctor who. But I've genuinely been really dissapointed with the new series. I can't be the only one?
I tried to give it a chance but it just flopped. Don't get me wrong I think peter capaldi is a fantastic doctor- he brings out more of a dark side. But here are my reasons:

1) the script writing is awful. Some of the lines and things they say are just so jerky, and unrealistic. Not so much with the main cast but with co actors playing smaller, one time roles- a lot of it is just cliche and none of it flows.

2) the monsters are AWFUL. There has not been a decent one yet this series! Okay the daleks, but they're just re using them. And the 'Listen' episode? Gearing us all up for something fantastic and hideous? And then it's just Clara. Buzzkill.

3) And Clara.WHY IS SHE STILL THERE? She's been on and off for way too long, and frankly, it seems like she has emotional problems. She's clearly dependent on the doctor, then goes and 'dumps' him, to 'un-dump him' again. And she's such a know it all! And there is soooo much of her. I don't watch doctor who to have 43 minutes of the companion on the screen.

4) The writing is dull, and uninspired. My general impression has been fantastic start up ideas- that just lead to no where.

5) A couple of episodes ago, they had a SPACE DRAGON. It came out the moon! THAT IS LIKE THE MOST AWESOME THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED EVER. And what do we get? Some far off blurry shot of it in the atmosphere. WHERE WERE THE CLOSE UPS? WHY DID WE NOT SEE MORE OF IT?

6) I hated the last series. Matt Smith was an awful doctor. Being the doctor is about going for the good of humanity, the occasional humor but that dark side that we occasionally see is really what brings the doctor to life- he was just like a little pet that I wanted to put on my sofa and feed him biscuits. There was no menace at all. He was overly hyperactive and a bad actor. And Amy Pond.. the worst companion ever?! Awful actress! And, the only reason she was there was because they accidentally made a ginger joke and needed a ginger person to ease the backlash!

7) The Sherwood forest episode- it was overly silly, and ridiculous. Clara just made me cringe the entire way through.

8) That robot in the caretaker episode was the most stupid thing I've ever seen. So unrealistic! I'm not saying it should be really realistic all the time- it's not going to be. But don't take it so seriously all the time. Instead throw a bit more comedy in there, have some fun with it if you're going to make it look like something from an 80's sci-fi film.

So yeah, rant over. Kinda hoping I'm not the only one with these complaints. Frankly, after the awful reign of Matt Smith, Capaldi is a breath of fresh air, but the writing is just awful.

Scroll to see replies

SAME! The scripts been bad since matt smith
And I swear the concepts of this series have been used before
Reply 2
Original post by abbiemac
Now don't get me wrong, I love doctor who. But I've genuinely been really dissapointed with the new series. I can't be the only one?
I tried to give it a chance but it just flopped. Don't get me wrong I think peter capaldi is a fantastic doctor- he brings out more of a dark side. But here are my reasons:

1) the script writing is awful. Some of the lines and things they say are just so jerky, and unrealistic. Not so much with the main cast but with co actors playing smaller, one time roles- a lot of it is just cliche and none of it flows.

2) the monsters are AWFUL. There has not been a decent one yet this series! Okay the daleks, but they're just re using them. And the 'Listen' episode? Gearing us all up for something fantastic and hideous? And then it's just Clara. Buzzkill.

3) And Clara.WHY IS SHE STILL THERE? She's been on and off for way too long, and frankly, it seems like she has emotional problems. She's clearly dependent on the doctor, then goes and 'dumps' him, to 'un-dump him' again. And she's such a know it all! And there is soooo much of her. I don't watch doctor who to have 43 minutes of the companion on the screen.

4) The writing is dull, and uninspired. My general impression has been fantastic start up ideas- that just lead to no where.

5) A couple of episodes ago, they had a SPACE DRAGON. It came out the moon! THAT IS LIKE THE MOST AWESOME THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED EVER. And what do we get? Some far off blurry shot of it in the atmosphere. WHERE WERE THE CLOSE UPS? WHY DID WE NOT SEE MORE OF IT?

6) I hated the last series. Matt Smith was an awful doctor. Being the doctor is about going for the good of humanity, the occasional humor but that dark side that we occasionally see is really what brings the doctor to life- he was just like a little pet that I wanted to put on my sofa and feed him biscuits. There was no menace at all. He was overly hyperactive and a bad actor. And Amy Pond.. the worst companion ever?! Awful actress! And, the only reason she was there was because they accidentally made a ginger joke and needed a ginger person to ease the backlash!

7) The Sherwood forest episode- it was overly silly, and ridiculous. Clara just made me cringe the entire way through.

8) That robot in the caretaker episode was the most stupid thing I've ever seen. So unrealistic! I'm not saying it should be really realistic all the time- it's not going to be. But don't take it so seriously all the time. Instead throw a bit more comedy in there, have some fun with it if you're going to make it look like something from an 80's sci-fi film.

So yeah, rant over. Kinda hoping I'm not the only one with these complaints. Frankly, after the awful reign of Matt Smith, Capaldi is a breath of fresh air, but the writing is just awful.

I wouldn't consider myself a Dr Who fan but I used to watch it when it was on, except this series.

Matt Smith bad doctor?! Whaaaaat?! I thought he was brilliant :frown: having the Doctor as a younger more quirky guy always seemed more appealing to me, just with a generally darker setting.

Again I disagree with Amy but that's probably cos I think she's rather hawt, and I can't really back that up with anything xD

But this series I do agree has been below par. Lost interest after two episodes. Imo Capaldi is too old; when his companion is young enough to be his granddaughter that's probably when it has gone far enough lol
This series is not that good.
Original post by Aneesah_May
SAME! The scripts been bad since matt smith
And I swear the concepts of this series have been used before

Yeah I agree. I loved David Tennant, but Matt Smith was overly complicated and too annoying for my liking.

Original post by AdamCee
I wouldn't consider myself a Dr Who fan but I used to watch it when it was on, except this series.

Matt Smith bad doctor?! Whaaaaat?! I thought he was brilliant :frown: having the Doctor as a younger more quirky guy always seemed more appealing to me, just with a generally darker setting.

Again I disagree with Amy but that's probably cos I think she's rather hawt, and I can't really back that up with anything xD

But this series I do agree has been below par. Lost interest after two episodes. Imo Capaldi is too old; when his companion is young enough to be his granddaughter that's probably when it has gone far enough lol

Original post by clh_hilary
This series is not that good.

Yeah a lot of people say he's too old, but at least he's still got plenty of energy in him. Oh well that's typical about Amy :wink: yeah a lot of people found her hot.. that could have been one of the main reasons she stayed in :P yeah, this series is just boring. Like, where all are the decent plots going?
Reply 5
Yeah I agree. I loved David Tennant, but Matt Smith was overly complicated and too annoying for my liking.

Yeah a lot of people say he's too old, but at least he's still got plenty of energy in him. Oh well that's typical about Amy :wink: yeah a lot of people found her hot.. that could have been one of the main reasons she stayed in :P yeah, this series is just boring. Like, where all are the decent plots going?

Agreed with loving David Tennant, he was the best for sure. I see what you mean with Matt but... I don't know I just liked him and his sarcasm and such

Well if you think about it most of the Doctor's assistants are uhh... Photogenic shall we say. Probably the reason they've all stayed in :P
Reply 6
I dislike Mr Pink, I don't understand why Clara is still with the Doctor after that rage. I actually like the new Doctor tho, he seems better than Matt Smith

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Peter is good. It's just the script and the plot.
[deleted]
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by AdamCee
Agreed with loving David Tennant, he was the best for sure. I see what you mean with Matt but... I don't know I just liked him and his sarcasm and such

Well if you think about it most of the Doctor's assistants are uhh... Photogenic shall we say. Probably the reason they've all stayed in :P

Fair enough haha.. and yeah that's true they seem to have a certain 'type' don't they :P that could be the only reason Clara is still here haha..

Original post by Vithu09
I dislike Mr Pink, I don't understand why Clara is still with the Doctor after that rage. I actually like the new Doctor tho, he seems better than Matt Smith

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, what is she doing? She's just so backward!

Original post by clh_hilary
I think Peter is good. It's just the script and the plot.

Yeah I completely agree. I really like the new doctor, but the script and the plot are just awful.
Reply 10
Are you sure, have you not noticed every episode there is proper issue behind it. Example 1: the robin hood epi was all to do with religion the lasars came out of crucifixe-shaped holes in their holes and the doctor uses the phrase "opiate of the masses" which Karl Marx famously used to describe religion. Example 2: the dragon moon epi was about abortion it was all about whether to kill or not to kill an unborn monster. If that's not clever scriptwriting then I don't know what is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I completely agree with you about the new series, but I thought Matt Smith made a great doctor. Also, I thought Amy and Rory made great companions too.
Couldn't agree more. The villains in the episodes are quickly cast aside and then dealt with at the end while Clara has her 45 minute b*tch fit. The Sherwood forest one in particular was just horrific, they recycled the Angel Hosts idea from the Voyage of the Damned but stripped away anything that made them menacing. And the whole "Clara dies and keeps reappearing, why?" story branch died when the writers thought "Oh hang on a minute. This is going anywhere. Abort". Dislike Danny too, pointless, wooden 2 dimensional character who's been thrown in there for when Clara leaves and Danny and the Doctor can have a cheap little face off a la Mickey and Rose. The realism of the dialogue has gone too, it's unnaturally witty and these sharp exchanges which would never happen in real life means the series loses it's grounding in reality, like it had during the Tennant/Ecclestone and previous days

It's a shame as Peter Capaldi is a great Doctor, probably my favourite, great actor and doesn't want to f*ck the companion for once in 6 years.

I agree with everything you just said. I really wanted to enjoy the Robin Hood episode...but it was just too awful...
Reply 14
Strangely I like this series, that the Doctor now treats Clara more like a daughter than a love interest, the plots have been tight and the monsters brilliant (esp. Mummy on the Orient Express!) All Hail Clara vibes get annoying, but her breakdown on the space dragon episode was awesome, a good vulnerable moment. Mr. Pink is pretty cool if a bit generic as a love interest, aside from the paranoia aspect which I think is a nice touch. 'Listen' could have been much better, but that's my biggest gripe with the series so far. My favourites have been Mummy on the Orient Express and the bank heist. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I quite like it! :sad:
Original post by somemightsay888
Couldn't agree more. The villains in the episodes are quickly cast aside and then dealt with at the end while Clara has her 45 minute b*tch fit. The Sherwood forest one in particular was just horrific, they recycled the Angel Hosts idea from the Voyage of the Damned but stripped away anything that made them menacing. And the whole "Clara dies and keeps reappearing, why?" story branch died when the writers thought "Oh hang on a minute. This is going anywhere. Abort". Dislike Danny too, pointless, wooden 2 dimensional character who's been thrown in there for when Clara leaves and Danny and the Doctor can have a cheap little face off a la Mickey and Rose. The realism of the dialogue has gone too, it's unnaturally witty and these sharp exchanges which would never happen in real life means the series loses it's grounding in reality, like it had during the Tennant/Ecclestone and previous days

It's a shame as Peter Capaldi is a great Doctor, probably my favourite, great actor and doesn't want to f*ck the companion for once in 6 years.

Original post by EleanorFrost
I agree with everything you just said. I really wanted to enjoy the Robin Hood episode...but it was just too awful...

YES YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND. *phew*

I know! Flirty stupid romances are things from a soap opera, not doctor who! Capaldi is doing an awesome job, it's just Clara being a whinge and having some massive strop. Yeah, I started watching during the Eccleston, David Tennant I loved, but Matt Smith was awful. WHAT HAS HAPPENED D:
I love Doctor Who! But the thing that annoys me is the Time-Warp/Sonic Screwdriver logic, I mean the screw driver can be used for certain things, and then for some reason it cannot be used for the same thing in a different episode. It's clear example of them making it up as they go along, surely.

Anyone else feel like this?
(edited 9 years ago)
YES YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND. *phew*

I know! Flirty stupid romances are things from a soap opera, not doctor who! Capaldi is doing an awesome job, it's just Clara being a whinge and having some massive strop. Yeah, I started watching during the Eccleston, David Tennant I loved, but Matt Smith was awful. WHAT HAS HAPPENED D:

I wish I knew :frown: The last time I enjoyed Doctor Who was the final Tennant episode, after that they even managed to ruin the Weeping Angels. River Song too, hate her name, hate her character too, rip off of Leia from Star Wars!
Reply 19
Finally, people who understand the pain of the newer series.

1. The quality of the script writing has been going down ever since Moffat became head writer (I mean, no two parters anymore :unimpressed:)

2. Bloody Clara. Coleman's acting is awful and they just need to kill her off or something.

3. I don't understand what happened to all the good monsters - the first episode with the weeping angels in was amazing, but since then, they've been reused so many times they're just pathetic. And Moffat has just been bringing back the darleks back again and again without any plot. And then you had the whole thing with the silence, and then that amount to well, nothing (the crack in the wall plot line was rubbish too imo)

Bring back the days off good Doctor Who :fuhrer: (srs, we should start a petition)

Quick Reply

Latest