The Student Room Group

Cambridge entry requirements

I've got 6A at as including physics(91) chemistry(89) Further maths ( FP2(98), M2(96), D1(92) ) Mathematics ( C1 C2 M1 all 100 per cent), Spanish, (96), Extended project (A) and have 5A* predictions for all of the A-level courses.

My personal statement is OK and my SAQ is not outstanding. Do you guys think i can get into cambridge if i Don't really nail the interview?? BTW the course is Meng!!! (Engineering)

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE AN ANSWER!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
You know for a fact you're being stupid. No offence, but with your scores, as stated by the Christ's Admission Tutor in his thread, you are guaranteed an interview and compulsory pooling. Your results are fantastic and I think most people would kill for them. As for whether you will nail an offer based purely on interview, well no. Cambridge assess your entire application and give no particular weighting to any aspect of it. So, because frankly you're asking for an answer, no one can say without a doubt about who will get an offer. Even those with 98% + UMS scores can fail to get an offer and those with UMS in the high 80s can achieve one. Your relevant UMS is 95.4, don't pretend that Cambridge is out of reach for you - it isn't. All the best in your application, I hope you achieve an offer.
Reply 2
Original post by pratonium
i've got 6a at as including physics(91) chemistry(89) further maths ( fp2(98), m2(96), d1(92) ) mathematics ( c1 c2 m1 all 100 per cent), spanish, (96), extended project (a) and have 5a* predictions for all of the a-level courses.

My personal statement is ok and my saq is not outstanding. Do you guys think i can get into cambridge if i don't really nail the interview?? Btw the course is meng!!! (engineering)

i would really appreciate an answer!!!

obviously mate
Reply 3
Which college?
Reply 4
Original post by TheWarwicko
You know for a fact you're being stupid. No offence, but with your scores, as stated by the Christ's Admission Tutor in his thread, you are guaranteed an interview and compulsory pooling. Your results are fantastic and I think most people would kill for them. As for whether you will nail an offer based purely on interview, well no. Cambridge assess your entire application and give no particular weighting to any aspect of it. So, because frankly you're asking for an answer, no one can say without a doubt about who will get an offer. Even those with 98% + UMS scores can fail to get an offer and those with UMS in the high 80s can achieve one. Your relevant UMS is 95.4, don't pretend that Cambridge is out of reach for you - it isn't. All the best in your application, I hope you achieve an offer.

Thank you mate, its just that I don't really do any wider reading and I think I will suck at the interview. I just hope they don't ask about any weird subject I haven't done!! Thanks again for replying, best of luck.
Reply 5
Original post by uklizzie
Which college?

Downing college, It is the closest one to the faculty but i probably will have to do a mathematical test at interview, any clew???
Original post by Pratonium
Thank you mate, its just that I don't really do any wider reading and I think I will suck at the interview. I just hope they don't ask about any weird subject I haven't done!! Thanks again for replying, best of luck.

Then for heavens sake, start reading? How can you claim to have a passion for your subject if you can't even be bothered to read a book about it?
Reply 7
Original post by Chlorophile
Then for heavens sake, start reading? How can you claim to have a passion for your subject if you can't even be bothered to read a book about it?

I have actually designed and created a 60 watt wind turbine for my extended project and made an extended headmaster project on engine power and future potential, lets see if that is enough proof of my love for the subject...
I have actually designed and created a 60 watt wind turbine for my extended project and made an extended headmaster project on engine power and future potential, lets see if that is enough proof of my love for the subject...

And yet you don't read...
Reply 9
And yet you don't read...

Is that sarcastic??
Is that sarcastic??

No, on account of the fact that you're not reading?
Reply 11
No, on account of the fact that you're not reading?

Yup:smile:
Yup:smile:

I'm sorry, it just astonishes me that someone can be applying to somewhere like Cambridge and not have read a single book on the subject.
Reply 13
I'm sorry, it just astonishes me that someone can be applying to somewhere like Cambridge and not have read a single book on the subject.

Reading books does not directly mean i like the subject. I have been doing some other things which I have already mentioned..
Reading books does not directly mean i like the subject. I have been doing some other things which I have already mentioned..

Fine, but when I was interested in Engineering, I managed to do plenty of related ECs whilst doing tons of reading. Maybe I came across as a big aggressive earlier but you really should start reading. Cambridge even has a special engineering reading list. I would personally massively recommend the first book on that list, if you're interested in sustainable energy.
Reply 15
Fine, but when I was interested in Engineering, I managed to do plenty of related ECs whilst doing tons of reading. Maybe I came across as a big aggressive earlier but you really should start reading. Cambridge even has a special engineering reading list. I would personally massively recommend the first book on that list, if you're interested in sustainable energy.

Okay mate, thank you a lot for your help, i will try to read at least the first one ASAP :smile::smile::smile:
Okay mate, thank you a lot for your help, i will try to read at least the first one ASAP :smile::smile::smile:

It's available as a free ebook but it was so darn good I bought a physical copy.

Quick Reply