The Student Room Group

Should 'Page 3' be banned?

Poll

Should pictures of topless women in national newspapers be banned?

Should having women posing topless in newspapers like The Sun be banned?

Scroll to see replies

No. This is not Saudi Arabia.
Of course not.
Reply 3
No.
Nope
Obviously not.

Anyway, Page 3 is going to come to an end like with the Lad Mags. Men can get exactly the same content for free online, so supermarkets are not going waste shelf space on them.

So Feminists / Family groups will claim victory over nothing.
If a significant amount of people vote yes, I will despair. Newspapers should be able to publish whatever they like, as long as it isn't libelous. Free speech and lack of censorship are more important than, well, pretty much anything.
No, censorship is facism.
Reply 8
No. If it offends you just don't buy the newspaper.
I hate the sun, but no.
Why do people on the left that espouse liberal views love censorship and banning things?
They shouldn't be banned. However, that's only because it's more productive to campaign on it, and get the Sun to recognise the sexism of Page 3, how inappropriate and anachronistic it is and remove it voluntarily than for the state to enforce such a decision.

(That being said, I would not be opposed to the paper being banned on public property especially where children may well be present such as parks, schools or transport at the discretion of the appropriate local authority and with private businesses encouraged to follow suit).
(edited 9 years ago)
Also very worth noting that the main campaign that's given rise to this question, No More Page 3, specifically does not ask for it to be banned:

"Q. So why are you trying to get Page Three banned?A. Actually we aren’t. NMP3 isn’t asking for censorship, or for an Act of Parliament to force the editor of The Sun to scrap Page Three.
NMP3 is asking, politely, that page 3 be removed voluntarily.
A better question would be why do you want to see an end to page 3?"
Reply 12
Boobs are not news.
Original post by Mackay
Boobs are not news.

Neither is a lot of stuff newspapers write about.
The sun isn't a newspaper, it's a tabloid. Something like Page 3 certainly shouldn't be allowed in a national broadsheet and it isn't.
Reply 15
Original post by Mackay
Boobs are not news.

Neither is much printed by the daily mail but we still allow it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Boobs are not news.

Nothing in The Sun is news. It's mainly a showbiz magazine, so really Page 3 is quite suited to it.
Original post by Chlorophile
The sun isn't a newspaper, it's a tabloid. Something like Page 3 certainly shouldn't be allowed in a national broadsheet and it isn't.

Who shouldn't allow it?
Original post by KingBradly
Who shouldn't allow it?

A newspaper is exactly what it sounds like. Nobody wants pictures of topless women in The Guardian or The Times because they're buying it for news so that's why there aren't any. I'm not advocating censorship, I'm simply saying that I don't think there's any kind of demand for that kind of content in a newspaper.
Original post by Green_Pink
They shouldn't be banned. However, that's only because it's more productive to campaign on it, and get the Sun to recognise the sexism of Page 3, how inappropriate and anachronistic it is and remove it voluntarily than for the state to enforce such a decision.

(That being said, I would not be opposed to the paper being banned on public property especially where children may well be present such as parks, schools or transport at the discretion of the appropriate local authority and with private businesses encouraged to follow suit).

I agree with this. Banning it will make people angry but everything has a lifespan and when the papers realise that no one is buying a newspaper for a picture of someone's breasts they will take it out. Surely the technical literacy of the population is up to the standard of finding nudity on the internet. I would have thought more people would be put off than attracted by the existence of page 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending