The Student Room Group

Civil engineering 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maattwileman
yeah i have A*AA offer

When did you receive an offer?are you going to firm it ?
Reply 61
Original post by ericchan
Is UCL good at civil engineering? I see they dont rank very high in the table.

From what I was told it's like the best engineering department at UCL, I applied there as well.

Are you in the UCL applicants Facebook group by any chance?
Original post by Cake44
From what I was told it's like the best engineering department at UCL, I applied there as well.

Are you in the UCL applicants Facebook group by any chance?

Yes. Exactly !!! I've been upsetted by not having any respond from UCL !!
bTW, would u mind us to talk in facebook? My name is Chan Chun Yin Chan
Reply 63
Original post by ericchan
has anybody apply to UCL for civil engineering ?
Have you guys recieved any offer yet ?

I think so I got offer from Loughborough, kingston, Brunel and in queen Mary ( they don't do civil so I am doing sustainable energy..it's quite interesting)
Posted from TSR Mobile

To any applying Civil Engineers,

Did you take or currently do Maths Mechanics modules and are they necessary for the course?
Reply 65
Original post by LucentDoughnut98
Posted from TSR Mobile

To any applying Civil Engineers,

Did you take or currently do Maths Mechanics modules and are they necessary for the course?

For Imperial, an A in M1 (on the 1st try) is essential while M2 is highly desirable.
Original post by Haydenlock1995
What are the placements like for civil and structural engineering at Leeds uni. My friend goes their and he has been told even though he has taken civil engineering he would be able to change to another engineering course as they are closely linked. For example he could change from his current civil eng course to petroleum eng during first year. Also i am worried about my application, I got my ucas application done around early-mid December. All I'm waiting for now is my reference from my teacher, I've asked him to write it but he said that he would get the reference done after Christmas, I am worried as the final date is the 15/1 and I don't back to college until the 7th. The application will be in before the 15th but will this hurt my chances of getting accepted onto the course? Also is there a lot of places available for civil and structural engineering at leeds(or any other uni) ? Should I be worried that it will fill up and I could be too late ? And if they could be full would it be possible for me to do a different course and then maybe change to civil and structural engineering half way through like my friend said as he mentioned a few students have dropped out during their year. As you may tell I am stressing, getting into uni is very important to me and I'm very keen on getting the course I want.Thank you!

Not unusual to have a few people change courses, within a few weeks up till end of 1st year, although by the first term, one should have a good idea of whether they like the discipline they have chosen. Just get in first. Many engineering year 1 modules are common. Good luck.
Reply 67
I would like to know between leeds and nottingham which one do u guys prefer.
Original post by lucas0
I would like to know between leeds and nottingham which one do u guys prefer.

I'm a fresher studying civil engineering in Nottingham. The lecturers for first year mechanics and hydraulics have been very helpful, but you will also study some incredibly dull modules like Engineering Surveying and Industry and Profession. Also, the nightlife here is great and the campus is huge. Feel free to ask me other questions.
Original post by Angryification
I'm a fresher studying civil engineering in Nottingham. The lecturers for first year mechanics and hydraulics have been very helpful, but you will also study some incredibly dull modules like Engineering Surveying and Industry and Profession. Also, the nightlife here is great and the campus is huge. Feel free to ask me other questions.

Hi, ive seen a course titled Civil and Environmental Engineering at Nottingham, I was wondering if you know anything about it and advantages or disadvantages. Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
I found it rather strenuous to choose between Leeds and Nottingham, cos some people say that Leeds is better while others have different opinions.
Offers:
Surrey
Southampton
Leeds
Bath

Waiting:
Imperial

Grades: 44 pts for IB
Reply 72
is it very hard to transfer between uni?
Reply 73
Hi guys
Has anyone applied to UCL for civil engineering and would you prefer UCL to Manchester?
I'm asking this because I've heard some bad things about UCL's mechanical engineering's department, and I'm not sure if it's just mechanical engineering or UCL's engineering department as a whole...
Has anyone of you visited UCL's civil engineering's department? Is it well-equipped?
My open day at UCL was strange... no lab tour, just a talk. It seems from the talk that all of the engineering depts often have multidiscipline taks so I guess you shall have to judge!?
Original post by Dark-Knight1
My open day at UCL was strange... no lab tour, just a talk. It seems from the talk that all of the engineering depts often have multidiscipline taks so I guess you shall have to judge!?

right..
was it a general open day or a civil engineering specific open day?
If it were the latter and there was no lab tour then perhaps its facilities weren't worth seeing ?? I couldn't find any information on its facilities on UCL's website... so weird
Was a plain open day, but with every subject doing a talk. All the other plain open days I've been on have done lab tours and talks
Original post by Dark-Knight1
Was a plain open day, but with every subject doing a talk. All the other plain open days I've been on have done lab tours and talks

Would you say that UCL is good for civil engineering then?
sigh...I really like UCL- mostly due to the fact that it's in London... But from all the information that I've gathered so far its engineering department doesn't really give me a good impression ... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending