The Student Room Group

Ive got an isa in two days on Temperature and Rates of reaction

Are there any tips from people who have achieved an A or A* previously?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Gubleer
Are there any tips from people who have achieved an A or A* previously?

I've done temperature and rates of reaction recently. Is it the one with the cross?
Reply 2
yes :smile:
Reply 3
Paper 1 should be a bit straight forward... Has your teacher helped you on it?

Below are the notes that I used to revise for the Paper 2 :smile: I couldn't find every last bit, but I hope it helps :biggrin: Also, if don't follow this religiously, I don't want to be held accountable for any unhappy grades. and yes.. other stuff did come up, but the majority of what came up for me is below ^_^ Good luck Remember.. there is also the graph, table, and source questions (which you can certainly practice, but not revise directly for).

Paper 2 Possible Chem ISA (Questions with answers)

What were the variables in the investigation you did?

Independent variable - Temperature of solution (degrees Celsius)
Dependant variable - Time taken for cross (X) to disappear in seconds
One Control variable was - The molar of hydrochloric acid

If you had been able to use another value of this variable, either within or outside the range, what value would you have chosen?

I would have chosen 10 degrees Celsius, as it is in the middle of 20 degrees Celsius and 0 degrees Celsius. 20 degrees Celsius is a bit off the line, so doing 10 degrees Celsius would have helped check this.

Do your results support the hypothesis?

My results support the hypothesis given. As I increase the temperature from 0 degrees Celsius to 20 degrees Celsius, the average time taken for the cross to disappear decreased from 310 seconds to 200 seconds. This proves that as you increase the temperature, the less time it takes for the cross (X) to disappear.

Did you repeat any of the measurements in the investigation?

I did not repeat any measurements. Instead, I removed all anomalous results and calculated a mean. I removed anomalous results to eliminate all extreme values which would decrease the accuracy and precision of my results. I calculated a mean by adding up all of the results (excluding any anomalous ones), and dividing by the number of results.

What could be an uncertainty?

An uncertainty could be that different people are looking for different end points, which would make your results less precise. You could keep the person looking for the end points the same, which would mean the same end points are looked for, thus eliminating this uncertainty.

Are your results reproducible?

(Explain why as temperature is increase, rate of reaction increases also using an alternative method)
Reply 4
Original post by Gubleer
yes :smile:

Look at my previous post ^_^
Reply 5
thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Gubleer
thank you so much! :smile:

You're welcome :smile: Good luck with the ISA.
Reply 7
I did mine a few weeks ago.
I got my paper 1 results today, and I didn't do as well as last year.
I was really ill when we started doing the prep for the first paper, so I missed a lesson when we had to practice the 9 mark question and I didn't give in my book for it to be marked, so I ended up writing an uncorrected piece of work in the paper.
I ended up with 15/20.

Hopefully, I did better on Paper 2.

Good luck with yours.
Reply 8
was the 9 mark question the method? 15/20 isn't bad! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Gubleer
was the 9 mark question the method? 15/20 isn't bad! :smile:

Yes, the 9 mark question is the method. I did good on that part :biggrin: make sure you name all the variables in your method.
I got 20/20 on paper one :biggrin:
Messed up somehow and got 25/30 on paper two... :frown:
Overall still fairly happy with 45/50 (A*)
Got my Biology Paper two ISA on Thursday, and my Physics ISA after half-term. Hopefully I'll do just as well, if not better in Biology and Physics.
I'm assuming your paper one is tomorrow??
Reply 10
paper one two and the practical all in one day :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by vd12345
Yes, the 9 mark question is the method. I did good on that part :biggrin: make sure you name all the variables in your method.
I got 20/20 on paper one :biggrin:
Messed up somehow and got 25/30 on paper two... :frown:
Overall still fairly happy with 45/50 (A*)
Got my Biology Paper two ISA on Thursday, and my Physics ISA after half-term. Hopefully I'll do just as well, if not better in Biology and Physics.
I'm assuming your paper one is tomorrow??

I'm so jealous!
Haha.
Well done.

I was unlucky for catching a flu when I did.
Had I not missed the lesson and handed in my method for feedback, I would of knew what mark I had received in order to improve and gain more marks. :frown:

What were the grade boundaries, if you know?
Were they higher than last years?
I'm still awaiting Paper 2 Results.

If I get less than an A, I'm re-taking.
Although, it's hard as my teacher is reluctant to let us retake, as she believes that you have to be "utterly crap" to retake.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Grade
I'm so jealous!
Haha.
Well done.

I was unlucky for catching a flu when I did.
Had I not missed the lesson and handed in my method for feedback, I would of knew what mark I had received in order to improve and gain more marks. :frown:

What were the grade boundaries, if you know?
Were they higher than last years?
I'm still awaiting Paper 2 Results.

If I get less than an A, I'm re-taking.
Although, it's hard as my teacher is reluctant to let us retake, as she believes that you have to be "utterly crap" to retake.

You can still get the same as me, I guess.. And A* was a 43/44 last year I think? Hence why I think I did bad.. I'm dreading my biology ISA tomorrow :frown:
I looked at gcsesciencemethods.com and just made it into my own words
Reply 14
goodluck for tomorrow! :smile:
Original post by Gubleer
goodluck for tomorrow! :smile:

thx, I'm re-writing my revision notes now :smile: then ima learn them for tomorrow
Reply 16
Original post by vd12345
You can still get the same as me, I guess.. And A* was a 43/44 last year I think? Hence why I think I did bad.. I'm dreading my biology ISA tomorrow :frown:

I didn't
I'm very disappointed in my results. I got a lousy C.
And I'm not to blame for this. My teachers are crap tbh.

I'm not allowed to retake as I passed. Which I think is unfair as I believe they are not letting me aim for higher grades. Especially when I'm aiming for an A in Additional.

I'm going to contact my Head of Science to let me retake.
Original post by Grade
I didn't
I'm very disappointed in my results. I got a lousy C.
And I'm not to blame for this. My teachers are crap tbh.

I'm not allowed to retake as I passed. Which I think is unfair as I believe they are not letting me aim for higher grades. Especially when I'm aiming for an A in Additional.

I'm going to contact my Head of Science to let me retake.

Wow thats sad :frown: I did my biology ISA today.. Still awaiting results :frown:
Ah I did that ISA! Got 43/50, which my teacher says is one mark of an A* :frown: they haven't been moderated in the school yet, so I hope I go up a mark 🙏 it's pretty simple really, all the common type questions come up so just look up practices :wink: I did a past paper the night before for paper 2, as got 16/20 in paper 1 so was dissapointed and was like "have to do well in paper 2" haha :smile: just practice
Original post by dream_and_wish
Ah I did that ISA! Got 43/50, which my teacher says is one mark of an A* :frown: they haven't been moderated in the school yet, so I hope I go up a mark 🙏 it's pretty simple really, all the common type questions come up so just look up practices :wink: I did a past paper the night before for paper 2, as got 16/20 in paper 1 so was dissapointed and was like "have to do well in paper 2" haha :smile: just practice

I got 43/50 too which I found really annoying 😣(one mark off an A*!), especially as I got 46 in the practice. Although I was recovering from flu the day I did paper 2, as I was off school the previous week, and I had to do it in lunch. Hopefully they will lower the grade boundaries on this ISA, which my teacher said they probably will do (as she commented that the paper 2 was harder this year, and lots of people got around 38-43, except for a minority) but we won't find out until we get our overall results next summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest