The Student Room Group

What to study to become a nurse?

I'm trying to decide what to take in college. I want to become a nurse, and I'm wondering if I should take vocational Health and Social Care (level 3), or if I should do A level Health and Social Care, Biology, ect. Please help! Should I e-mail the nursing university course and ask them what they think?
Original post by laurenjade1
I'm trying to decide what to take in college. I want to become a nurse, and I'm wondering if I should take vocational Health and Social Care (level 3), or if I should do A level Health and Social Care, Biology, ect. Please help! Should I e-mail the nursing university course and ask them what they think?

Have a look at the universities you're interested in going to and see what A levels they like.

It's also never too early to start thinking about getting some work experience :smile:
Original post by laurenjade1

You can take both, but because my mum is a Psychiatric Head Nurse, she said nowadays, her student nurses are taking the A-level route because it's better in the long run. You could take A-level Biology, Psychology and History for example and then by the end of your A-level years, you might apply for Psychology or Biology or something. You never know. A-levels keep your options more open than BTECs. If you are dead-set and 100% confident that you want to be a nurse and you can see yourself doing that for the rest of your life, then you should defo go for it. However, I think from experience, you should definitely go down the A-level route. Some people cope with A-levels, but then some are more suited towards the BTEC route.

You could do a year of AS levels and if you don't like it then you can do the BTEC instead. You'd be surprised when you get to uni, there are a lot of people who went both ways to see which one fitted them the most. Others took a gap year out. So you going to uni at 19/20 is nothing to feel insecure about (if you are worried about that, of course).

Quick Reply

Latest