The Student Room Group

New A levels retake??

I'm not sure if this is the right place but anyways..

I did my A levels about 2 years ago and didn't do so well due to extenuating circumstances. I want to now retake my A levels in different subjects.

My question is, in my CV would I need to write both old and new A levels taken or just stick with the new ones?

Thank you
Reply 1
stick to the new ones
Reply 2
Original post by kibbyking

I did my A levels about 2 years ago and didn't do so well due to extenuating circumstances. I want to now retake my A levels in different subjects.

My question is, in my CV would I need to write both old and new A levels taken or just stick with the new ones?

Thank you

For a UCAS application you need to put in every exam you've taken. But for an ordinary CV for a job you can omit whatever you want.

Thank you

Do you mean CV? Or as this is in Applications and Ucas, do you mean on your Ucas form? If the latter, then you must declare all qualifications. Not to do so is regarded as fraud by universities, and I'd say the same for a CV, too.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Do you mean CV? Or as this is in Applications and Ucas, do you mean on your Ucas form? If the latter, then you must declare all qualifications. Not to do so is regarded as fraud by universities, and I'd say the same for a CV, too.

I'm not sure if it should be seen as fraud for a regular CV. After all many graduates don't bother putting GCSEs on their CV, and I doubt applicants with higher degrees feel the need to list their A levels. The argument could be made that OP's old A levels are equally irrelevant.
Original post by nerdcake
I'm not sure if it should be seen as fraud for a regular CV. After all many graduates don't bother putting GCSEs on their CV, and I doubt applicants with higher degrees feel the need to list their A levels. The argument could be made that OP's old A levels are equally irrelevant.

True, but OP doesn't have any degree yet, so it's not as if there's too much to cram in, and there is the question of how to account for the missing two years.
Reply 6
True, but OP doesn't have any degree yet, so it's not as if there's too much to cram in, and there is the question of how to account for the missing two years.

Well yeah, but that's a different argument to saying it's fraud. It's up to OP to figure out whether the low grades or the gap is better/worse for their CV. If OP worked during those years (as many 6th formers do) then they at least have something to talk about. If not, then as I said it's up to OP to risk it with either the grades or the gap.
Well yeah, but that's a different argument to saying it's fraud. It's up to OP to figure out whether the low grades or the gap is better/worse for their CV. If OP worked during those years (as many 6th formers do) then they at least have something to talk about. If not, then as I said it's up to OP to risk it with either the grades or the gap.

Withholding information is a form of deception. However, it's up to OP how s/he wants to play it on a CV. For Ucas, it's a very clear cut matter. A university can remove offers (and they do) and students can have their studies terminated if a university finds out the information is incorrect or incomplete on the application.
Reply 8
Withholding information is a form of deception. However, it's up to OP how s/he wants to play it on a CV. For Ucas, it's a very clear cut matter. A university can remove offers (and they do) and students can have their studies terminated if a university finds out the information is incorrect or incomplete on the application.

I agree entirely in the case of a UCAS form. I say that in my post above. We also seem to be agreed about OP's CV.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you about witholding information. But it would be naive to act like nobody ever does it or like it's frowned upon, especially on CVs. If you take the line that it's evil evil deception and you should never do it regardless of context, that's your opinion. I tend not to see things in such absolute terms.
I agree entirely in the case of a UCAS form. I say that in my post above. We also seem to be agreed about OP's CV.

And for what it's worth, I agree with you about witholding information. But it would be naive to act like nobody ever does it or like it's frowned upon, especially on CVs. If you take the line that it's evil evil deception and you should never do it regardless of context, that's your opinion. I tend not to see things in such absolute terms.

I didn't say nobody did it. I said it was dishonest. OP asked for advice and I gave it. You've done the same. Over to them, now.
Reply 10
I've got a degree and used my old A level results and I am aware of the UCAS forms regulations (thus listed everything) and currently working and during the two years doing A levels I did a job so have that...just wanted to know about CV's - wouldn't too many A levels look weird - or I could put them all in and explain to employers if they want to know??
I've got a degree and used my old A level results and I am aware of the UCAS forms regulations (thus listed everything) and currently working and during the two years doing A levels I did a job so have that...just wanted to know about CV's - wouldn't too many A levels look weird - or I could put them all in and explain to employers if they want to know??

Pop it in here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending