The Student Room Group

No way of getting to open days?

My mum is completely unsupportive of me going to Uni. It's not that she doesn't want me to go, she just doesn't give a crap. I have no way of getting to other places nor can I afford travel.

What do I do? I don't wanna go to a University before I've even seen it. I'm panicking a bit.
Reply 1
Do you live near to any in the first place? I was 2 hours drive away from most when i was applying but if you lived near to some you could get a feel for what campus and city uni's are like....?
You can also try the virtual tours and (seriously) google street view. I used that loads when i was looking at places to apply to. Its not the same as actually visiting but it can give you a feel of the area around the uni
Original post by jnny
Do you live near to any in the first place? I was 2 hours drive away from most when i was applying but if you lived near to some you could get a feel for what campus and city uni's are like....?
You can also try the virtual tours and (seriously) google street view. I used that loads when i was looking at places to apply to. Its not the same as actually visiting but it can give you a feel of the area around the uni

I'm only near 1. The others are quite a while away.
Original post by whitephoeniix
My mum is completely unsupportive of me going to Uni. It's not that she doesn't want me to go, she just doesn't give a crap. I have no way of getting to other places nor can I afford travel.

What do I do? I don't wanna go to a University before I've even seen it. I'm panicking a bit.

Get a job so you can afford the travel?

As a short term solution, you could also ask other relatives if they're willing to help out.

However, it's very likely you're going to need money for all sorts of reasons before your student loan comes through, so if you have no financial support at all, you should really look into ways of making some money.
Reply 4
Couldn't you hitch a ride with any of your friends from College to some of the Universities they're visiting. Although they might not be interested in the same Institutions, the ambience will be similar at, for example Northern Cities such as Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, etc. This would give you some idea of the sort of Institute you want to attend, so say a City, or a small Campus University, or London or such other type of University.

I'm sure if you explained to them, they would be happy for you to go with them - and offer to buy them Lunch or something - as they're going anyway, but it's something to show your gratitude.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Get a job so you can afford the travel?

As a short term solution, you could also ask other relatives if they're willing to help out.

However, it's very likely you're going to need money for all sorts of reasons before your student loan comes through, so if you have no financial support at all, you should really look into ways of making some money.

I am looking for a job but all of the Open Days seem to be ending by the end of November. I don't think that's enough time :/
Original post by vimto39
Couldn't you hitch a ride with any of your friends from College to some of the Universities they're visiting. Although they might not be interested in the same Institutions, the ambience will be similar at, for example Northern Cities such as Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, etc. This would give you some idea of the sort of Institute you want to attend, so say a City, or a small Campus University, or London or such other type of University.

I'm sure if you explained to them, they would be happy for you to go with them - and offer to buy them Lunch or something - as they're going anyway, but it's something to show your gratitude.

It seems as if all of my friends don't want to go to Uni! :/
I forgot to point out. I have been to Sheffield Hallam Open Day, only because I was visiting an old friend. Do we only need to go to one open day? I'd of thought we'd have to have visited all of them.
Reply 7
I am looking for a job but all of the Open Days seem to be ending by the end of November. I don't think that's enough time :/

You don't have to go for a formal open day, you can visit the University during any part of the Academic Term, and most departments will be happy to let you see the department if you're a prospective student or an offer holder. There are also offer holder days too, which may be worth noting.
Reply 8

I'm not sure if this is helpful but for £30 you can buy a railcars for 16-25 year olds and it gives you a discount of a 1/3 every time you buy train tickets. It might cut your costs in the long run if you visit enough places particularly if your looking at places far away or in londo . I brought one only this year so I could save on traveling to open days you can get a discount with an NUS card if you have one. Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can visit on non-open day days, and tbh, it's likely you've left it too late to visit this year's open days. You've already missed quite a lot.

I would suggest getting a job, saving up, visiting some open days in the summer, apply next year for 2016 entry, while working on a gap year. This will enable you to make informed decisions and save up a decent emergency fund to cover things like rental deposits, which presumably your mum won't want to help out with either.

Email the uni and see if you can speak to a current student on your chosen course - not ideal but at least it's something! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't in the exact same position as you but I did have two open days where I didn't have anybody who could drive me there and didn't have the money for a train or coach.

For one I found on facebook a Carpooling group for students at that University and found somebody on there who was travelling from near where I lived down to the Uni on the right day, and then I bought a train ticket home which was nice and cheap as I only had to get a one way ticket.
The other I got desperate and emailed the University to ask if they could send an email out to those confirmed on the open day to ask if anybody would be able to give me a lift and they found somebody that way.
Would your college/school/6th form not be able to help out at all? They may have a reserve of funds for this kinda thing. Might be worth going to see your student support people. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending