The Student Room Group

How do people get in relationships?

Not a one-night stand, I mean an actual relationship. I've never understood how that sort of thing happens? As you can tell I've never been in one. I know that's quite sad, I'm 18 as well.

So does anyone really know how relationships start? Are they generally with friends or complete strangers?
Reply 1
She was a friend of my friend, she came down to the pub quiz once then ended up liking each other, a year later we got together.

You're somewhat over complicating it in your head.
Reply 2
Original post by james1211
She was a friend of my friend, she came down to the pub quiz once then ended up liking each other, a year later we got together.

You're somewhat over complicating it in your head.

What do you mean?
Only relationship ive ever had was someone I met on a dating website because I'm sad and socially awkward like that..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
What do you mean?

I mean exactly what i wrote.
Reply 5
Original post by james1211
I mean exactly what i wrote.

How am I overcomplicating things?

By worrying about it and thinking too much, things will just happen if they happen
Reply 7

" I've never understood how that sort of thing happens?"

There are a million and one ways it can happen, i don't see what you stand to gain by asking for individual examples.
Reply 8
See, like, flirt, get off with or ask out, date, bonk, say "I love you", split up acrimoniously. Usual relationship formula..
Mine was a friend first. I prefer it that way as you actually choose each other based on the person rather than just attraction
We met at uni and always joked around .. Several months later we decided to hang out alone , so date. Several dates later he said "so are we "going out"?"
And I said "yeah I guess so"
And that was almost 4 years ago:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
Only relationship ive ever had was someone I met on a dating website because I'm sad and socially awkward like that..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have some social anxiety, but just be selectively confident :smile:
If you don't push yourself out of your comfort zone, you're stuck there!
Original post by hellodave5
I have some social anxiety, but just be selectively confident :smile:
If you don't push yourself out of your comfort zone, you're stuck there!

I guess part of it is im not really attracted to anyone I meet either :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
I guess part of it is im not really attracted to anyone I meet either :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? High standards or just no 'want'?
I'm a bit like that, in that I have a rather specific type.
Original post by hellodave5
Really? High standards or just no 'want'?
I'm a bit like that, in that I have a rather specific type.

I don't think it's high standards, I'm just not attracted to people :confused: like it's not that I have really specific requirements, just that I don't feel that 'want'
Not a one-night stand, I mean an actual relationship. I've never understood how that sort of thing happens? As you can tell I've never been in one. I know that's quite sad, I'm 18 as well.

So does anyone really know how relationships start? Are they generally with friends or complete strangers?

Generally you start by hanging out and having sex. If you enjoy both, then you might be onto something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending