The Student Room Group

This is what a friend text me :(

I'm 21 (a guy) and a girl from school who i've just been friends with since, sent me this text.

I want to go into photography or journalism. I've got an online blog, and I share a lot of my photos onto Facebook & flickr, and have sent some in to BBC Weather. But is that trying to be in "the limelight"? I don't think much of my photography, but I always like feedback on the photos from people.

Isn't that what most photographers like to do? Is it really me trying to be in the "limelight"? I didn't mean to be?

I try to joke with people. I'm not a serious person. She called me annoying, so I joked (when she knows I jokes) that she was, then she sent me this big long text.

Is she being true? It's just it's put me down a bit.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Brutal. Sometimes it's true though.

There's a reason I don't have any form of social media.
Reply 2
Original post by 2scotty
I'm 21 (a guy) and a girl from school who i've just been friends with since, sent me this text.

I want to go into photography or journalism. I've got an online blog, and I share a lot of my photos onto Facebook & flickr, and have sent some in to BBC Weather. But is that trying to be in "the limelight"? I don't think much of my photography, but I always like feedback on the photos from people.

Isn't that what most photographers like to do? Is it really me trying to be in the "limelight"? I didn't mean to be?

I try to joke with people. I'm not a serious person. She called me annoying, so I joked (when she knows I jokes) that she was, then she sent me this big long text.

Is she being true? It's just it's put me down a bit.

The whole point of doing photography is getting feedback from people.
This person seems like a jealous nasty individual.
Don't let this out you down lol, if I were you I wouldn't speak to this person again.
Keep doing what you do and ignore people like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Geeee what a b'tch!

Why are you friends with her?
Dude, you're hot, don't focus on the negativity, instead sit back and relax, knowing you have a passion and everything going for you. I wouldn't worry about it, jealousy is all my friend
Reply 5
I did Photography GCSE (worst decision - not because I dont like photography but because the course was so irrelevant)

Feedback is why I take the pictures I do now. Throughout the year we would all comment on eachothers work and it helped so much.

Don't let this girls comments put you down because, unless you are, you know that you intentions are not to be in the "limelight" but to improve your photography.

By the way - what camera do you use?
****ing hell that is absolutely brutal man, sounds like she thinks she's above you. Get rid
(edited 9 years ago)
Out of order. Completely ignore it and let her stew over her actions.

Edit: Having said that, I can't lie I have a friend who wants to be a professional photographer and i have found her to be annoying on Facebook the way she posts as if she's a highly talented photographer gracing us with her work. So maybe you are slightly annoying in that respect but aren't we all in some way? What she said is still unwarranted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by YounesB
I did Photography GCSE (worst decision - not because I dont like photography but because the course was so irrelevant)

Feedback is why I take the pictures I do now. Throughout the year we would all comment on eachothers work and it helped so much.

Don't let this girls comments put you down because, unless you are, you know that you intentions are not to be in the "limelight" but to improve your photography.

By the way - what camera do you use?

It's just it's got me upset.

I use a Canon 7D! you?
Reply 9
Original post by 2scotty
It's just it's got me upset.

I use a Canon 7D! you?

Don't overthink it - shes probably jealous.

Wow cool - I use d3100 not the best but its nice.

Is there somewhere i can see your work?
Don't worry. My Mum is a photographer and always uploads etc. Luckily her friends being mature support her!

I'm similar in the sense I'm into politics, so write articles, advertise trips, organise things, lots of photos etc. I'm sure it gets on some people's nerves but as I have so many political friends now they support me. I've had a couple of comments, and I'm sure a few have un-friended or unfollowed on FB (or I hope so) - but that's part of it.
The more you have to put on your CV etc. the better, and advice and feedback is always good.
Clearly she has a problem with you. Tell her to unfriend you if its so much of a problem. So what if you are trying to get in the limelight? It's none of her business. Also, grow up a bit and don't let every little criticisms (esp when it's from people who seem to be jealous/unnecessarily mean) put you down. You'll get a lot of that in the future, especially in the media business.
Original post by SomeStudent
Clearly she has a problem with you. Tell her to unfriend you if its so much of a problem. So what if you are trying to get in the limelight? It's none of her business. Also, grow up a bit and don't let every little criticisms (esp when it's from people who seem to be jealous/unnecessarily mean) put you down. You'll get a lot of that in the future, especially in the media business.

I'm fine with criticism... it's just I haven't ever gotten criticism like that!
Original post by 2scotty
I'm fine with criticism... it's just I haven't ever gotten criticism like that!

Count it as your first then. That wasn't even criticism to be honest, it was more of a rant, but like I said, tell her that if it annoys her that much, she can ignore it or unfriend you, because you'll keep tweeting/facebooking your work. That's what photographers/journalists do.
Original post by SomeStudent
Count it as your first then. That wasn't even criticism to be honest, it was more of a rant, but like I said, tell her that if it annoys her that much, she can ignore it or unfriend you, because you'll keep tweeting/facebooking your work. That's what photographers/journalists do.

Exactly. Criticism is fine.

Ranting about someone? No!! :frown:
Bit brutal. But maybe think about the quantity of what you are putting online. You don't have to press the share on Facebook button for everything you do. Keep it for photos that you're proud of, or photos that you genuinely want feedback on, not every photo (or action) that you take every day.
Original post by Crumpet1
Bit brutal. But maybe think about the quantity of what you are putting online. You don't have to press the share on Facebook button for everything you do. Keep it for photos that you're proud of, or photos that you genuinely want feedback on, not every photo (or action) that you take every day.

It's not every photo. It's like one photo Facebook status a week.
Lol she is not a friend! I would never say that to any of my friends.

She sounds like a jealous cow. I wouldn't speak to her again if I were you. You should say that what she said wasn't nice and ignore her from then on.
She was definitely very rude and I wouldn't consider someone who spoke to me like that a friend. She may have had a really bad day and lashed out at you but it still doesn't make it acceptable.
Agree with Willburrr, it doesn't matter, continue doing what makes you happy! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest