The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llacerta
Happy birthday TLG! :biggrin:

Thank you! :awesome:

Gave an important talk yesterday- first time I'd given a talk in front of my second (new) supervisor, and there were also a bunch of people from other labs there, including some seriously cool (and senior) behavioural neuroscientists...and it went well! For once nerves didn't ruin everything. Now to learn how to do that every time!

:woo: :party: :yeah:
Reply 81
Happy birthday TLG! :biggrin:

Gave an important talk yesterday- first time I'd given a talk in front of my second (new) supervisor, and there were also a bunch of people from other labs there, including some seriously cool (and senior) behavioural neuroscientists...and it went well! For once nerves didn't ruin everything. Now to learn how to do that every time!

:woo:

:five:

PRSOM :angry:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Had another supervision today. Spoilered for those who are not in the right zone to be reading about my naive, happy little PhD bubble :colondollar:

Spoiler

PRSOM :teehee:

Happy Birthday!!

p.s. I love that you're doing a PhD on Abba, I love Abba :biggrin:
Reply 83
Happy birthday TLG!!
Happy Birthday TLG!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ethereal
Lazy ****stains

Found it very odd seeing them use their phones to read stuff from...

Original post by Ethereal
It's 15 years today since I was injured :frown:

:frown: :hugs:

I hadn't thought of that myself, but that is a GENIUS idea :colone:

YAAAAAY! :biggrin:

Happy birthday! Thought you might like both of those - it was Gypsy! Super good.

Original post by Kitty Pimms
Happy birthday TLG! Glad you're feeling happy with your supervisor too - it is SO important!

Totally forgot to say thanks for the pms last week. Working on a diff piece of work now and getting some advice off an old tutor to ease things in the short term.

Original post by Jantaculum
Having a weird day - checking up on the latest papers in my subject, I've discovered that someone has just published in the exact area I'm working on….

Happened to me and I've used it to my advantage though very annoying at the time. I did email them to let them know what I was working on which helped spark a few conversations.
Surprised no-one did it, but…
ABBA BIRTHDAY TO YOUUU TLG! :biggrin:

Grrr, that IS pretty annoying. Or at least I'd be pretty annoyed if it were me. But it's great you think you can take that work even further, so clearly all is not lost! :hugs:

Original post by Kitty Pimms
Probably inevitable and better than it happens now rather than later. When you're a bit more established, it's probably a good idea to strike up a relationship with the other author so that you can keep track of what they're working on.

Original post by apotoftea

Happened to me and I've used it to my advantage though very annoying at the time. I did email them to let them know what I was working on which helped spark a few conversations.

Thanks for the advice - I also discussed with my research group tonight and their advice can be summarised as 'contact him! - he'll be SO pleased that someone (other that his mum) has actually read his paper that he'll be inviting you over to talk about it asap!'

But I'll definitely wait a bit so that I don't seem like a complete beginner :cool:

Well done! - it sounds really early to be doing something like that. Really pleased for you :smile:

And… Happy Birthday TLG :groovy::flower2::dancing2::clap2::cake::cheers::elefant::flower2::hello::pingu::snow::thumbsup::tux::woo::yay:

(marking the occasion with a random selection of smileys)
Original post by *Interrobang*
One of our uni tutors did his thesis on attributions around behaviour in school which was interesting :smile:

That does sound interesting! We did a portfolio (4 different tasks) for our Applied Psychology module in third year and for one of the tasks I wrote about attribution theory with regards to the Every Child Matters outcomes, it is interesting stuff.

I'm doing a PhD in Experimental Psychology- only a couple of weeks in but I'm really enjoying it so far. My interests lie in behavioural and cognitive neuroscience, and I'm beginning by looking at the role of dopamine in certain decision-making behaviours.

It'd be great for you to get a publication from your diss- an early publication like that would look great when applying for a PhD! :biggrin:

That sounds interesting too! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

And thank-you, I really do hope I can!
Hippy Bathday TLG! :llama:
Thanks for the advice - I also discussed with my research group tonight and their advice can be summarised as 'contact him! - he'll be SO pleased that someone (other that his mum) has actually read his paper that he'll be inviting you over to talk about it asap!'

But I'll definitely wait a bit so that I don't seem like a complete beginner :cool:

Just echoing the others (and your research group): this exact thing happened to a postdoc in my lab and it resulted in a great collaboration, so although it may seem a bit of a pain at first it can turn out to be a good thing!

Well done! - it sounds really early to be doing something like that. Really pleased for you :smile:

Thank you. :smile: Yes, I guess it is quite early- in the words of my first supe, it was "rather brave" of me to volunteer...(He also implied "rather stupid" since giving presentations is a real weakness of mine, and I think he'd have preferred for me to have waited a bit to be honest! I think he'll be surprised when I tell him that it actually went well, haha.)
Original post by Salchow
Happy Birthday!!

p.s. I love that you're doing a PhD on Abba, I love Abba :biggrin:

Thankies :biggrin:

At least you guys know which ABBA I mean though. I've had two people say "Abba, Father?" to me and I'm like :erm: :lolwut: :nope:

:teehee:

Original post by Piggsil
Happy birthday TLG!!

Thank you! :h:

Original post by Little Jules
Happy Birthday TLG!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankies :awesome:

Happy birthday! Thought you might like both of those - it was Gypsy! Super good.

Thankies :biggrin:

Oooh, jealous! A friend of me asked if I'd like to go with her to your neck of the woods to see it, but truth be told, I don't know her quite well enough to travel to a place where I might easily dissociate and she may not know what to do :colondollar:

Original post by Anatheme
Surprised no-one did it, but…
ABBA BIRTHDAY TO YOUUU TLG! :biggrin:

:rofl:

:awesome:

And… Happy Birthday TLG :groovy::flower2::dancing2::clap2::cake::cheers::elefant::flower2::hello::pingu::snow::thumbsup::tux::woo::yay:

(marking the occasion with a random selection of smileys)

Thank you very much! How did you know I love smileys though? :eek:

Original post by Nynyflower
Hippy Bathday TLG! :llama:

Thank you! And thank you everyone for making me feel special :h: :grouphugs: :colondollar:
Oooh, jealous! A friend of me asked if I'd like to go with her to your neck of the woods to see it, but truth be told, I don't know her quite well enough to travel to a place where I might easily dissociate and she may not know what to do :colondollar:

Quite wise really :yep: (CFT can be fairly chaotic pre sitting down too if you don't know it). I'll eat my hat if it doesn't transfer to the West End though :biggrin:
Quite wise really :yep: (CFT can be fairly chaotic pre sitting down too if you don't know it). I'll eat my hat if it doesn't transfer to the West End though :biggrin:

I hope it does come to the West End - that'd be awesome :banana:
It has been a while since I last posted in here. I left my job at the university at the end of July. I spent the next month and bit doing research (won some funding to cover my wage). I started an undergraduate degree in speech and language therapy at Newcastle last month. It feels weird being a student again. I had my first clinical session yesterday and was in the dissecting rooms this morning for the first time too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by evantej
It has been a while since I last posted in here. I left my job at the university at the end of July. I spent the next month and bit doing research (won some funding to cover my wage). I started an undergraduate degree in speech and language therapy at Newcastle last month. It feels weird being a student again. I had my first clinical session yesterday and was in the dissecting rooms this morning for the first time too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:wavey: Good to see you posting in here again! Are you enjoying your degree so far, despite it being a bit weird? :smile:
Original post by evantej

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh that's cool :biggrin: S&LT is really interesting (aware of it because of my voluntary work)
Reply 98
Original post by evantej

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hi: nice seeing you back here!
Original post by evantej

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello :smile: Nice to see an update, I can remember that you were thinking about applying for SALT. I'm with you on being a student again although I must admit I am enjoying being one again, I miss my full time wage though! Are you enjoying the course so far?