The Student Room Group

Want a health career profession (nurse, midwifery) not sure which one though? Advice?

Well I really want to be in a health care profession, I just think the whole environment would really suit my type of personality and play to my strongest skills, plus it would be majorly satisfying and enjoyable because I love science, challenge and of course helping others.

However I'm really not sure what career to choose! I'm ruling out Medicine because whilst I probably have a shot of getting in, I'm not sure if I'm up for the pressure, cost of course and social life sacrifice it comes with. I'm aware that all health care professions are highly demanding but that's in a league of its own (what I've been told anyway).

So out of Nursing (one I'm mostly considering because it leaves more options open), Nutrition, Physiotherapy and Midwifery, what do you think is best? What it the one most likely to get me a job actually in a health profession? Which one is most enjoyable? I'm interested in them all ahhh!
Reply 1
I know what you mean. I started looking into one course then found others I am interested in. I want to do either physiotherapy, occupational therapy or ODP. Easier said than done I know but try get from work experience in each?
I had a similar dilemma to you, so I got a job as a hospital healthcare assistant (HCA) that would let me see a variety of professions up close and help me to decide. HCA work is especially good if you're considering nursing, as you will work very closely with the nursing team.

In the end I realised speech and language therapy was for me. I was already leaning that way, as I'd worked with a SLT in a special school and became really interested in her work, but seeing what SLTs do in a hospital setting confirmed it for me. I was working on a dementia ward and I'd love to go back to that kind of setting after qualifying. Have a look for HCA or support worker roles in your area and see what you can find, or if you don't have time to take a part-time job, see if you can get some relevant volunteering. :smile:
I d say have a good thing about what patient groups with what illness you could work with given the choice and get experience in all the fields possible, nursing gives you the most variety out of all the health care professions and its a good want to go for if you re very practical

Quick Reply

Latest