The Student Room Group

Does making your parents proud impact Results Day for you?

The title is pretty self-explanatory.
Even though I like pushing myself to do my best, and I have aimed for good universities, the pressure of getting results my parents will be proud of is always there. They just want me to do my best, but sometimes, if I fail to get a good grade (ie. an A) I'm upset, not only because I didn't get the best possible grade, but because they believe I can do better than that (not that they get angry or anything, it's just I know they have high expectations regarding my studies). So yes, I'd say to make my parents proud does push me even more to achieve better grades.
Also, do not misinterpret my words. My parents are happy as long as I gave it my best shot, as am I, but I want to make them proud.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Neither parent had/has any idea how I did for any relevant exams beyond my 11+.
Not really. I mean if they're happy that's a bonus but it's definitely not a main motivator or anything.
no, being scared of them knocking the **** out of me does :s-smilie:
It was at AS, they forced me to do subjects I didn't want to do and I failed them both, surprise surprise I aced the ones I picked myself. At A2 I did whatever I did for myself and couldn't give a monkeys about anyone's happiness or pride in my results bar my own.
It doesn't impact me working hard throughout the year, I do that for myself, but suddenly on results day the main worry for me is letting my parents down with bad results even though I know at the end of the day they wouldn't mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually like owning a phone so I try not to fail my tests :laugh:

Seriously though I do want to make them proud as they've done so much for me with regards to my education and I really don't want to let them down but it's not my main motivator
Original post by MidnightDream
I actually like owning a phone so I try not to fail my tests :laugh:

Seriously though I do want to make them proud as they've done so much for me with regards to my education and I really don't want to let them down but it's not my main motivator

Original post by uncommonsensing
It doesn't impact me working hard throughout the year, I do that for myself, but suddenly on results day the main worry for me is letting my parents down with bad results even though I know at the end of the day they wouldn't mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can relate to both of you haha
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
I can relate to both of you haha

My parents have NEVER put any pressure on me to do well, they'd be proud if I became a bin lady. It's me who puts the pressure on myself, I think if they wanted me to work hard I wouldn't haha They have never once told me to revise or to do any homework, so in a way, I'm glad, because I am my own motivation and my achievements are purely mine
I work hard to do good for myself and my future, but I guess making them proud just comes along with the whole package really, as long as I try hard, its fine.
My dad hardly cares if i get a good grade but if I get anything below a C its not good enough. Obviously he doesnt understand how hard a levels are as he left school when he was like 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Making my parents proud impacted my entire life tbh, until I cut them out
I do want my parents to be pleased and proud of my results and their opinion will to an extent matter to me, however I mostly work for myself. I have certain goals which I always aspire to attain and if it were to go shoddy then the disappointment I would have in myself would by far outweigh anyone else's opinion on my results in this case my parents'.
Original post by ByronicHero
Neither parent had/has any idea how I did for any relevant exams beyond my 11+.

Omg same! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm...I work hard for myself, and I don't think my parents can tell if I'm working hard enough or not. They are disappointed in me if I don't work, but I'm too scared of failure to not work :P I honestly don't think they'd treat me any differently if I was getting Ds, provided I worked hard for them. However, because they know I can get As, they're disappointed with anything lower - even if I did work hard for it. It's confusing. But I'm not like some of my friends, who get money when they do well. My parents have grown complacent with me doing well...
Original post by paradoxicalme
Hmm...I work hard for myself, and I don't think my parents can tell if I'm working hard enough or not. They are disappointed in me if I don't work, but I'm too scared of failure to not work :P I honestly don't think they'd treat me any differently if I was getting Ds, provided I worked hard for them. However, because they know I can get As, they're disappointed with anything lower - even if I did work hard for it. It's confusing. But I'm not like some of my friends, who get money when they do well. My parents have grown complacent with me doing well...

I CAN COMPLETELY RELATE TO THIS *high five*
This is exactly my situation.
Results Day is usually stressful enough, but I always worry about what my mum and dad will say. Neither of them went to university, and my dad often says how he hated school, but they still put pressure on me. In August, I got a disappointing mark in my joint favourite subject, and it crushed me- not only because I was disappointed in myself but because I was worried what mum and dad would say.
Parents are happy when you've done your best but the best never seems to be good enough for some!
Reply 17
I don't really want it to be but they definitely make a huge deal out of it. My dad never failed to remind me on the run up to Results Day, expecting me to get AAA or else (lol didn't happen). I only care about getting the sufficient grades for the next step in education.
My mum has never pressured me about my grades or school work and I know she's always proud of me as long as she knows I've tried my best. But I do still feel like I have to achieve straight As to make sure she's proud of me. When I got bad AS results this year I felt like I'd not only let myself down, but also my mum and everyone else who had believed in my ability to succeed.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
The title is pretty self-explanatory.
Even though I like pushing myself to do my best, and I have aimed for good universities, the pressure of getting results my parents will be proud of is always there. They just want me to do my best, but sometimes, if I fail to get a good grade (ie. an A) I'm upset, not only because I didn't get the best possible grade, but because they believe I can do better than that (not that they get angry or anything, it's just I know they have high expectations regarding my studies). So yes, I'd say to make my parents proud does push me even more to achieve better grades.
Also, do not misinterpret my words. My parents are happy as long as I gave it my best shot, as am I, but I want to make them proud.

YES! Otherwise, i will need to say goodbyes to my phone, weekends and social life!!! as well as lectures on about i will have to find a job and work in a chicken factory and my future will be ruined !! :afraid:

Latest