The Student Room Group

Finding A-levels Easy?

Well I started my AS last month...
I'm realllly not finding it as difficult as teachers and other people predicted it to be. Is this strange???
I did pretty well in my GCSE's and am doing subjects which I got A*/A's in (Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Geography)

Is it strange that I'm not finding it all difficult at all? The step up from GCSE doesn't seem much of a step up to me?

Scroll to see replies

Oh just you wait...if AS doesn't faze you, A2s surely will lol
Take this from someone who's finished A Levels already...
I never found maths or chemistry to be *that* much of a step up, to be honest.

As for biology and geography, well...
Wait for it. Wait for the results you get in your work as well, just to check that you're actually finding it easy, and not just working at GCSE level still.
You're only a month into them! I do,however,think that the supposed 'astronomical' leap from gcses is exaggerated a bit too much. The fact that you got a/a* in the subjects you are doing at a level suggests you have some natural aptitude and ability for them, but remember that there are still more topics/units to come! Although I think it's a good thing that you are finding them easy, make sure they you aren't missing out detail or in-depth content which could explain why they seem to be easier than expected.

Good luck :smile:
dont worry about it. everyones different. I never found my alevels hard at all, and dare i say it fairly easy. But a lot of people do find it a lot harder than gcses, so i wouldnt go shouting out about it - as its not likely to be received well by other people who are struglling.

I myself enjoy maths a lot so spent time in my A2 year preparing for the more challenging STEP papers, and would selfteach maths modules early in year 12 to get ahead as well as learn physics myself so if youre not being challenged, then find something that interests you to give you that challenge, otherwise you will find yourself quite bored. Dont get complacent, though theres nothing wrong with being quietly confident :smile: .
Just remember that you have only been studying AS Levels for one month...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Maths is pretty easy if you're an able mathematician or even just a dedicated logical thinker. You don't need any creativity/imagination to do it even at A Level.
lol what

how can anyone think this, its 60x harder
u wot m8 deez r well hard wut u sayin i gess im just stoopid wah

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by xoflower
lol what

how can anyone think this, its 60x harder

I know I'm just a month into it but speaking to my old friends from my old school they're finding it much more difficult and I'm just feeling quite ok?
I'm not boasting or nothing because I have had assessed work and haven't done badly.

I guess I just have a strong work ethic like I did at gcse. I look over my notes everyday so maybe that's why?
I didn't find my AS difficult until after Christmas, I think. Except physics, but as it turns out my first physics teacher couldn't teach anyway (got fired just before Xmas). I did a freestanding maths in yr11, so maths wasn't a step up, and biology and chemistry were mostly just building off of gcse until that point.

Anyway, this year is much harder in biology and maths, definitely. It does get harder, if nothing else the exam technique is harder to get right.
Reply 12
I do agree that the jump between GCSE and AS is very exaggerated for some subjects, so I wouldn't worry about it
Original post by tcameron
I know I'm just a month into it but speaking to my old friends from my old school they're finding it much more difficult and I'm just feeling quite ok?
I'm not boasting or nothing because I have had assessed work and haven't done badly.

I guess I just have a strong work ethic like I did at gcse. I look over my notes everyday so maybe that's why?

Yeah I look over notes and I'm starting exam questions tommorow.

I guess its not too hard, its just a lot to learn!

Chemistry is bloody hard though compared to last year
Reply 14
Original post by xoflower
Yeah I look over notes and I'm starting exam questions tommorow.

I guess its not too hard, its just a lot to learn!

Chemistry is bloody hard though compared to last year

Chemistry is my favourite subject and I'm finding Chemistry and Maths my easiest subjects at the moment...

I've already done maths and chem exam questions and aren't getting low marks. Maybe it'll get more difficult later on, but I do remember teachers saying the first month is like the most difficult due to the leap up, but I feel fine
Original post by tcameron
Chemistry is my favourite subject and I'm finding Chemistry and Maths my easiest subjects at the moment...

I've already done maths and chem exam questions and aren't getting low marks. Maybe it'll get more difficult later on, but I do remember teachers saying the first month is like the most difficult due to the leap up, but I feel fine

AS chemistry is ridiculously easy. The only hurdle you have to overcome at first is the calculations. But once you understand them they become second nature really.
Maths and Chemistry seem much easier than the teachers make out.
However, Bio is slightly more tricky as you have to apply your knowledge, instead of regurgitating information.

After looking back at my year in AS I realised that anyone and everyone can get 4 A's. All they have to do is put the work in.

I'm currently doing A2 (Chem,Bio, Maths (dropped physics after AS))
Send me a message if you need any help :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Rickstahhh
AS chemistry is ridiculously easy. The only hurdle you have to overcome at first is the calculations. But once you understand them they become second nature really.
However, Bio is slightly more tricky as you have to apply your knowledge, instead of regurgitating information.

After looking back at my year in AS I realised that anyone and everyone can get 4 A's. All they have to do is put the work in.

Yeah I'm finding Biology abit awkward (but I found it awkward at GCSE already) as I find Biology exam questions always awkward and forever trying to trick you.
Yeah I really want A's in all my AS subjects and will hopefully drop geography and do maths, biology, chem at A2

Thank you :biggrin:
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths (actually full A2 maths in one year, with Further Maths A2 in year 13), Physics, Chemistry and Computing this year, and I haven't found there to be a big "step up" as such. Although, having said that, I did self-teach FSMQ Additional Maths last year and so have had exposure to AS-type maths for the best part of a year now. As for Physics and Chemistry, there's certainly a lot more content to be learnt but I don't think the difficulty is that much higher; although I did get 97% and 99% UMS in GCSE Physics and Chemistry respectively.
Original post by Rickstahhh

I agree with you, I thought biology would be the easiest but it's actually the one I'm scoring lowest on in tests :frown:
I wouldn't say easy, just not ridiculously hard as people claim. Definitely much more work than GCSE, but only because I did f*** all during GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest