The Student Room Group

Boring but short circuit question

Hey guys,

Below I've attached a 'schematic' for the circuit in question, the question asks for the measured current in the ammeter labeled A when the switch is closed.

Now, the answer is apparently 2A and probably is - however, I've always had trouble determining whether (when a circuit is drawn like this) the resistors are in series or parallel?

I figured with the switch closed the ammeter should just measure the total current of the circuit which I thought would be 1A - if the resistors are in series.

So yeah, if someone could explain what is exactly going on that would be much appreciated.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks as always guys,
SK
Original post by Sekonda
Hey guys,

Below I've attached a 'schematic' for the circuit in question, the question asks for the measured current in the ammeter labeled A when the switch is closed.

Now, the answer is apparently 2A and probably is - however, I've always had trouble determining whether (when a circuit is drawn like this) the resistors are in series or parallel?

I figured with the switch closed the ammeter should just measure the total current of the circuit which I thought would be 1A - if the resistors are in series.

So yeah, if someone could explain what is exactly going on that would be much appreciated.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks as always guys,
SK

A closed switch is a conductor

Switch open - 2 resistors and diode in series
Switch closed - the left resistor and the diode are bypassed (some would say short-circuit but I'm not personally fond of using that expression) by conductor.

There is no potential difference between any points on a circuit diagram joined by a conductor - even if there's a parallel branch to the conductor with some components in it.
Reply 2
Cheers joinedup, that makes perfect sense. All cleared up!

Thanks again,
SK

Quick Reply

Latest