The Student Room Group

Uni compared to a levels

How hard is uni compared to a levels because I'm struggling doing A2 so I'm thinking that uni may not be for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Put it this way, after three weeks of lectures I sit and think back nostagically to the days of A2 Chemistry, Physics and Psychology. Those were the days, even if they were only earlier this year.
I don't know about others but it's 600x harder but 600x more enjoyable.
To be honest, I second the above. I don't hate my course but having all the extra time isn't as fun as it may seem.
Reply 4
University is easier than A-levels. very little work, little difficulty especially in 1 st year.
Original post by IBIB
University is easier than A-levels. very little work, little difficulty especially in 1 st year.

What university is this? :lol:
It depends on how you study best. If your skill is regurgitating spoon-fed information then uni might be tricky. If you can self-direct your studies and think critically you will do well at uni. I had a "D" in A Level biology then got firsts in university physiology assignments so A Levels aren't an infallible indicator of future academic performance. It's a completely different way of learning.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonynous
What university is this? :lol:

Original post by IBIB

Foundation year Teeside University :biggrin:?
Original post by Hudl

I've never done a foundation year so I wouldn't know.
I would say easier because i have a more focused state of mind now and am doing work because i want to rather than i have to.
I'm doing languages and tbh it doesn't feel at all harder but I haven't actually started my first essay yet.... The content is more complicated, sure, and things like literary analysis I have to work on but it is what I enjoy. I picked my subject for a reason and that same reason is why I love my work.

It is harder. But it is easier because you WANT to study it.

Just make sure your time management is top notch (or it may just be my uni....).
Original post by Jo890
How hard is uni compared to a levels because I'm struggling doing A2 so I'm thinking that uni may not be for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really, really not worth thinking about. Just put all your energy into getting the work done and you'll have plenty of free time unless you're on an insane workload course like NatSci at Cambridge.
Original post by Jo890

Posted from TSR Mobile

To OP,

Uni isn't that much harder in terms of understanding theoretical processes. This is because like learning any other pieces of information you need to give it the time and commitment - only then will all prevail. In most cases, we always start off by saying "shxt, this seems tough" but when we've finally done xyz we realise it wasn't as hard as it seemed.

I'm a first year who like many on my course were finding it tough until we sat down and done a bit of reading.
Original post by Jo890

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well for every one hour of lecture you need 4 hours of self study, so I'd say pretty hard. To me at least, Uni makes A levels look like a joke. They cover 4-5 hours worth of A level content in an hour's lecture. I am actually drowning in lecture notes....... But, it can be done. Just put your mind to it, and you'll be fine.=)
Original post by Hudl

No wonder. **** universities have very low entrance requirements so their student populace is mainly retards. Thus, the course offered has to be easy so as not to confuse the students.
Reply 15
I'm in second year and in my experience it's at least 20x harder than a levels
Original post by EllieC130
To be honest, I second the above. I don't hate my course but having all the extra time isn't as fun as it may seem.
wtf we have so spare time....theres always something to do...
Reply 17
Original post by Jo890

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the same boat as you. Apart from I'm on AS, and every hour someone else works it takes me two to do the same thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Andy98
I'm in the same boat as you. Apart from I'm on AS, and every hour someone else works it takes me two to do the same thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

It sucks especially with a weekend job too :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uni is 10x harder, and so far my first year's pre-clinical sciences are extremely boring.... .____.

I think it's because I'm finding it difficult to relate this knowledge to my future profession. I don't see myself using this information on a daily basis.

Quick Reply

Latest