The Student Room Group

Switch to law after 1 year

Just wondering if it would be possible to study something like philosophy for 1 year, then switch to law?
How do law conversions work - would I have to graduate first?
I am looking at Durham university for philosophy/law

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by rachel479
Just wondering if it would be possible to study something like philosophy for 1 year, then switch to law?
How do law conversions work - would I have to graduate first?
I am looking at Durham university for philosophy/law

Thanks

Hi - Unfortunately, the Law School at Durham do not accept transfers from other courses or institutions - please see www.dur.ac.uk/law/undergraduate/transfers/. Therefore, if you want to be considered for Law at Durham, you must apply to them directly and sit the Law National Aptitude Test (LNAT).

If you are still deciding between Law and Philosopy and not sure which you would prefer to study, you can apply for more than one course at any university and at Durham, you would be able to submit a subsitute personal statement (www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/personalstatement/substitute/) for the course that did not match your other choices on your application. So if you were applying for four Law courses at any institution and then one Philosophy course at Durham, you would be able to use the substitute personal statement for your Philosophy application.

To be eligible for a Law conversion course you must normally be a graduate in another subject. Durham does not offer a Law conversion course but an undergraduate degree from Durham would be acceptible for entry to programmes elsewhere.

I hope that helps!
I don't think that many universities would allow a change to law after the first year to be honest as the first year would cover a lot of ground.
Reply 3
Almost all LLBs are QLDs covering core subjects like Public Law, Torts, Land etc. Some of these will be first year subjects - hence you can't generally transfer.

If you just want to practise, though - that's what the GDL is for. All those things get covered in one year.

Any graduate can do the GDL - the law schools will welcome you with open arms regardless of what you have or where you got it from.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Palatine
Hi - Unfortunately, the Law School at Durham do not accept transfers from other courses or institutions - please see www.dur.ac.uk/law/undergraduate/transfers/. Therefore, if you want to be considered for Law at Durham, you must apply to them directly and sit the Law National Aptitude Test (LNAT).

If you are still deciding between Law and Philosopy and not sure which you would prefer to study, you can apply for more than one course at any university and at Durham, you would be able to submit a subsitute personal statement (www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/personalstatement/substitute/) for the course that did not match your other choices on your application. So if you were applying for four Law courses at any institution and then one Philosophy course at Durham, you would be able to use the substitute personal statement for your Philosophy application.

To be eligible for a Law conversion course you must normally be a graduate in another subject. Durham does not offer a Law conversion course but an undergraduate degree from Durham would be acceptible for entry to programmes elsewhere.

I hope that helps!

THanks, this is really helpful!
Reply 5
Original post by Clip
Almost all LLBs are QLDs covering core subjects like Public Law, Torts, Land etc. Some of these will be first year subjects - hence you can't generally transfer.

If you just want to practise, though - that's what the GDL is for. All those things get covered in one year.

Any graduate can do the GDL - the law schools will welcome you with open arms regardless of what you have or where you got it from.

Original post by Clip

Original post by Roving Fish
I don't think that many universities would allow a change to law after the first year to be honest as the first year would cover a lot of ground.

Thanks for all the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending