The Student Room Group

Worried about my future

I have been applying for jobs like mad since I was 16. Now I am 18 and after several editions to my CV and cover letter I have never had a job. I do well at college, got good grades back in GCSEs, hopefully I'll go off to uni soon. My friends got some part time jobs quite a while ago and there's me who didn't although I try really hard to get any. Only work I actually did was work experience related to the degree I wanna get. I am really worried that if I can't get the job now, then I won't get any in uni or after I graduate too... :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by AgnesWeasley
I have been applying for jobs like mad since I was 16. Now I am 18 and after several editions to my CV and cover letter I have never had a job. I do well at college, got good grades back in GCSEs, hopefully I'll go off to uni soon. My friends got some part time jobs quite a while ago and there's me who didn't although I try really hard to get any. Only work I actually did was work experience related to the degree I wanna get. I am really worried that if I can't get the job now, then I won't get any in uni or after I graduate too... :frown:

If you're actually quite a good academic candidate on paper then it's probably quite obvious you're intending to go off to university and leave. They'd favour hiring someone who isn't going to leave soon enough. Equally, you might come across as someone who is likely to get pretty bored pretty quickly (as presumably these are just basic retail/restaurant jobs).

It's about tailoring your skills to the job, but it can be hard at this stage when you have a relatively small pool of things to use (i.e. no previous work history to draw on). It's not a sign for the future, because jobs after graduation are a completely different kettle of fish. They look for entirely different things, and a history of irrelevant, part time jobs are not necessarily the top of the list. If you want to set yourself up after graduation use the time during your degree years well, and that largely means completing placements, whether it's within your degree course or using your summer break(s).

If you're after a bog standard part time job during your degree as well, get in there early. There's usually lots of vacancies for things like pub and bar work, or promotional work, so you just need to try and get in there before the thousands of other students do. The university careers service will probably have a bucket load of advertisements for various roles across the year. If you meet anyone with a job, try and get them to help you out, as part-time work is a lot about who you know sometimes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending