The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Grade Range

Hi, in short i was just wondering the range of grades Exeter's offers are? So I've applied for History and IR, which according to the site, has a typical offer/requirement of AAA-AAB - do people genuinely get AAB offers is that just contextual?
Reply 1
Hi there,

I'm more sure specifically why people may receive lower offers, but there have been some rumours and a couple of reasons on the Exeter application page.

- If you have been to a particularly under-performing school, they may give you a lower offer. They actively encourage to recruit those from under-performing schools to add to the diversity of the programmes and it reflects very well on the university.

- If you have had extenuating circumstances, which have affected your grades, and have shown potential in the other aspects of your application - i.e. your personal statement and references, they may be subject to offer you the lower grades.

Applications are ultimately assessed on an individual basis. The university may think that if you have an extenuating circumstance that may be a problem at university, they may offer you the higher grade because they want to make sure that you can cope with the demands of a degree. There may even be cases where you show an outstanding application and they really want you and give you lower grades to achieve.

I have experienced this myself, as I applied for Geography (AAA-AAB) and was lucky enough to receive an AAB offer. My college was not under-performing, but I did apply with extenuating circumstances. I got the grades and have deferred my entry as I was awarded a scholarship (not from the university), so I am starting in 2015.

If you do not have extenuating circumstances or come from an under-performing school, I would ultimately expect the higher offer if you receive one - from the stalking page last year, lower offers do not seem to be given out a lot.

Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Thanks so much. Yeah I was wondering if the offers were just reserved for people from less-successful schools. Unfortunately whilst I go to a state school, it's certainly not under-performing! I'm predicted AAA having got ABBB at AS (missed an A by two UMS in 2 subjects, could've so easily been AAAB!)
Hopefully I'll get an offer, it's just my AS grades mean it would be better for me if Exeter gave AAB offers!

Thanks for all your help.
Reply 3
Original post by languid
Thanks so much. Yeah I was wondering if the offers were just reserved for people from less-successful schools. Unfortunately whilst I go to a state school, it's certainly not under-performing! I'm predicted AAA having got ABBB at AS (missed an A by two UMS in 2 subjects, could've so easily been AAAB!)
Hopefully I'll get an offer, it's just my AS grades mean it would be better for me if Exeter gave AAB offers!

Thanks for all your help.

Ah yeah, if you do get an offer, I'd expect the AAA offer. Fear not though, that's certainly doable with your AS grades!

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Ehawks
Hi there,

I'm more sure specifically why people may receive lower offers, but there have been some rumours and a couple of reasons on the Exeter application page.

- If you have been to a particularly under-performing school, they may give you a lower offer. They actively encourage to recruit those from under-performing schools to add to the diversity of the programmes and it reflects very well on the university.

- If you have had extenuating circumstances, which have affected your grades, and have shown potential in the other aspects of your application - i.e. your personal statement and references, they may be subject to offer you the lower grades.

Applications are ultimately assessed on an individual basis. The university may think that if you have an extenuating circumstance that may be a problem at university, they may offer you the higher grade because they want to make sure that you can cope with the demands of a degree. There may even be cases where you show an outstanding application and they really want you and give you lower grades to achieve.

I have experienced this myself, as I applied for Geography (AAA-AAB) and was lucky enough to receive an AAB offer. My college was not under-performing, but I did apply with extenuating circumstances. I got the grades and have deferred my entry as I was awarded a scholarship (not from the university), so I am starting in 2015.

If you do not have extenuating circumstances or come from an under-performing school, I would ultimately expect the higher offer if you receive one - from the stalking page last year, lower offers do not seem to be given out a lot.

Hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

What was the scholarship you were given? How did you go about getting it? :smile:
I applied for marine biology with study abroad grade range AAA-AAB, and received offer of AAB, even though at the open day they said you would have to get AAA as it's so popular, also marine biology without study abroad grade range AAB-ABB, received offer ABB. Predicted grades AAA, no extenuating circumstances and not at a low performing school on the list. So I can only assume it was from references and personal statement - which included being advanced PADI, work experience at sea life, working with turtle conservationists on holiday.
Reply 6
Original post by Abbseh
What was the scholarship you were given? How did you go about getting it? :smile:

It was independent from the university. I think the university only offers sports scholarships, debating and a high achievers one, but certainly check out scholarships and bursaries as they can save you a lot of money! I was depressed to find out how poor I really will be when I start! :P

It was a scholarship from the Royal Geographical Society to undertake a gap year with intentions to study Geography or a geography-related subject. Unfortunately, this is the last year they are doing it as they are not receiving anymore funding, but if you're interested in that sort of stuff, they offer other programmes, including through university. Definitely check it out if you're studying something related! :smile:
Reply 7
They gave me the standard offer instead of the contextual offer even though I go to an under achieving school. Bristol gave me a contextual offer. Do you think it's worth me emailing the admissions people at Exeter asking why they didn't give me a contextual in the hope that they change it? 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending