The Student Room Group

Changing Chemical Engineering to Actuarial Science?

Hi guys,

Was just looking for some advice. I'm currently in first year doing chemical engineering and I'm slowly starting to think this course might not be for me. I have always been good at maths and chemistry, however now that I'm on the course I am really starting to dislike chemistry a lot to the point where I don't want to do the course. The maths, however, I enjoy and and am good at. I am somewhat interested in economics and business, would changing to actuarial sciences be a good decision? What the course like for anyone who takes it? What's it like being a fully qualified actuary?
Acturial Science at Cass is a myth :lol:.

I don't think I've seen an acturial science student here outside of the library.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonynous
Acturial Science at Cass is a myth :lol:.

I don't think I've seen an acturial science student here outside of the library.

Is it really that hard and that much revision?
Original post by Mark_95
Is it really that hard and that much revision?

They have the hardest professional exams in the financial industry and the rest of the exams aren't a walk in the park.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonynous
They have the hardest professional exams in the financial industry and the rest of the exams aren't a walk in the park.

Ahhh heard it was hard but didn't realise just how hard it was
I think it's still early days, give Chem Eng a try for at least a term and then maybe talk to your tutors or someone about how you feel about the course and they can help you to make a more well-informed decision. You could always do a masters in Actuarial Science.
Original post by Mark_95
Hi guys,

Was just looking for some advice. I'm currently in first year doing chemical engineering and I'm slowly starting to think this course might not be for me. I have always been good at maths and chemistry, however now that I'm on the course I am really starting to dislike chemistry a lot to the point where I don't want to do the course. The maths, however, I enjoy and and am good at. I am somewhat interested in economics and business, would changing to actuarial sciences be a good decision? What the course like for anyone who takes it? What's it like being a fully qualified actuary?

where Im doing chem eng but chem bit is finished by christmas and you never do it again ever
Original post by singapaul
where Im doing chem eng but chem bit is finished by christmas and you never do it again ever

Where are you doing chem eng?
Original post by arcanum96
Where are you doing chem eng?

Birmingham
Birmingham

Cool, how are you finding Birmingham for Chem Eng?
Original post by arcanum96
Cool, how are you finding Birmingham for Chem Eng?

its good, I'm still settling in really, The course is less intensive (contact hour wise) than it initially appears, it's not like you're in lectures 9-5 but to stay on top you probably should be (something I need to start doing) , the problem sheets are challenging though, where are you doing chem eng at?
its good, I'm still settling in really, The course is less intensive (contact hour wise) than it initially appears, it's not like you're in lectures 9-5 but to stay on top you probably should be (something I need to start doing) , the problem sheets are challenging though, where are you doing chem eng at?

I've applied this year so should hopefully be starting next year

Quick Reply

Latest