The Student Room Group

Why do some hijabis not wear a hijab in their profile pic?

There are some hijabis who wear the hijab normally and then on fb or whatever they don't wear it?? Why?? What's the point someone please explain!!

Scroll to see replies

Well some don't understand the meaning of the hijab, so they think they can take it off when they please
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
They don't have male friends on their friendlist, so that's still okay.
Original post by Another

Not really. Their friends' male friends/relatives could still potentially see.
Reply 4
Original post by Da Di Doo
Not really. Their friends' male friends/relatives could still potentially see.

From what I've seen:

1) Privacy settings are cranked all the way up. Not even mutual friends can see their photos (I have my FB settings on this)

2) If a male relative sees them without the hijab on, it doesn't matter. It's non family members that they worry about.

Or 3), they really honestly don't care whether someone sees them without the hijab. It's not compulsory, after all.
Original post by Another
From what I've seen:

1) Privacy settings are cranked all the way up. Not even mutual friends can see their photos (I have my FB settings on this)

2) If a male relative sees them without the hijab on, it doesn't matter. It's non family members that they worry about.

Or 3), they really honestly don't care whether someone sees them without the hijab. It's not compulsory, after all.

Agreed with most of the points. But I'm sure that the hijab is compulsory. Or am I wrong??
Reply 6
Original post by DaVinciGirl
Agreed with most of the points. But I'm sure that the hijab is compulsory. Or am I wrong??

Everyone who I have asked, whether they wear the hijab or not, say that it is 100% a choice and not compulsory. Some families/cultures may place a higher importance on it than others though.
Original post by Another
Everyone who I have asked, whether they wear the hijab or not, say that it is 100% a choice and not compulsory. Some families/cultures may place a higher importance on it than others though.

Whether or not a girl wants to wear the hijab is up to them, they are not allowed to be forced into wearing one. But it does state in the religion that a men and women need to have a 'hijab'. Whether it is wearing a viel or talking with modesty. Even though some just choose not to follow the rule. But that's not any of my business :smile:
Original post by Another

No the people who I've seen have male friends on their friendlist...I just don't get the point of wearing it outside and letting those same friends in school who are male, see you without a hijab online.
Reply 9
who cares? stupid anyway how does covering your hair instantly make you undesirable to men?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Another
From what I've seen:

Only certain male relatives are allowed to see them without hijab. But this wasn't what I mean when I said family members will see them. I mean their friends family can see.

Yeah I know it's not compulsory but when girls do this it's so obvious that their parents are forcing them to cover their hair. All my cousins are being forced to cover their hairs but on social media they will post countless pics without their hijab.

And some people do believe it is compulsory, yet they still do this.
because they don't care or care very little about the ruling imposed.
embarrassment
Original post by Another
From what I've seen:

I hope you're joking. Hijab IS compulsory in islam. You probably asked those who aren't really practicing and with a 'liberal' mindset. By all means nobody should be forced (like beaten into wearing it etc.) but the Qur'an specifically says wearing a hijab is compulsory for all muslim women. Men should also wear a hijab (but not the headscarf obvs. The verse regarding them applies to modesty in behaviour and lowering their gaze) :smile:
Original post by zippity.doodah
embarrassment

Who would be embarrassed to wear a hijab? I swear I feel like beyonce when i put it on my head. All jokes aside, wearing one is very liberating and far from oppressive as people (who have never worn one themselves) claim.
OP, just make dua for them and don't backbite or gossip about them (if you do it in real life) because we're all sinners and should focus on improvinf ourselves. This doesn't go without saying that you shouldn't advise them :smile:

Being modest in clothing is definitely compulsory though. Many people take the verse in the Koran to mean that it includes wearing a headscarf but it doesn't actually mention a headscarf.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well some don't understand the meaning of the hijab, so they think they can take it off when they please

What do you mean "think"? Of course they can take it off as they please.
Original post by Another

Who is it that you asked? Of course the hijab is compulsory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whether or not a girl wants to wear the hijab is up to them, they are not allowed to be forced into wearing one. But it does state in the religion that a men and women need to have a 'hijab'. Whether it is wearing a viel or talking with modesty. Even though some just choose not to follow the rule. But that's not any of my business :smile:

I have a friend who said "I would rather not wear the hijab and act modestly, rather than wear it, then apply tonnes of makeup, fake nails, act immorally, like the other girls do." She was rather quite devout. And of course there will be muslims that do neither, but hey...

Original post by ilikechemistry
No the people who I've seen have male friends on their friendlist...I just don't get the point of wearing it outside and letting those same friends in school who are male, see you without a hijab online.

Fair point... in which case they probably just wear the hijab out of habit than anything else. I'd imagine tying a scarf over your hair would be alot easier than styling it, and keeping it in check throughout the day

Original post by Da Di Doo
Only certain male relatives are allowed to see them without hijab. But this wasn't what I mean when I said family members will see them. I mean their friends family can see.

Yeah I know it's not compulsory but when girls do this it's so obvious that their parents are forcing them to cover their hair. All my cousins are being forced to cover their hairs but on social media they will post countless pics without their hijab.

And some people do believe it is compulsory, yet they still do this.

Welp, learn something new every day. I have no answer for these people :| I suppose if you force someone to go one way, they'll go the exact opposite in secret.

Quick Reply

Latest