The Student Room Group

"first year of uni is easy compared to alevels" - BIGGEST LIE YOU WILL EVERY HEAR

I keep seeing posters on here telling those in sixthform/college that uni is easier than alevels and I was fed the same lies before I started uni so entered with a 'first year is going to be a breeze' mindset. Oh how wrong I was. It will hit you like a ton of bricks if you have this mindset. IT IS NOT EASY and you'll actually miss doing alevels. Don't listen to those who say its easy.

That is all.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
I keep seeing posters on here telling those in sixthform/college that uni is easier than alevels and I was fed the same lies before I started uni so entered with a 'girst year is going to be a breeze' mindset. Oh how wrong I was. It will hit you like a ton of bricks if you have this mindset. IT IS NOT EASY and you'll actually miss doing alevels. Don't listen to those who say its easy.

That is all.

Spoiler

It is easy if you do small amounts of work everyday, I'm sure you're making this post after feeling guilty of wasting countless hours over the past few weeks.
I keep seeing posters on here telling those in sixthform/college that uni is easier than alevels and I was fed the same lies before I started uni so entered with a 'girst year is going to be a breeze' mindset. Oh how wrong I was. It will hit you like a ton of bricks if you have this mindset. IT IS NOT EASY and you'll actually miss doing alevels. Don't listen to those who say its easy.

That is all.

Spoiler

You always hear mixed views on this, good to get your two cents.
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
It is easy if you do small amounts of work everyday, I'm sure you're making this post after feeling guilty of wasting countless hours over the past few weeks.

Its just a lot of work compared to alevels (and that was a lot!) and my motivation is so low atm
Reply 4
Depends on where you go and what you study. First year was an eye-watering jump up for myself and pretty much everyone I know.
Wait till you get to 2nd/3rd year :laugh:
Lol first year is nothing.

Your struggles are probably due to the adaption and different style in comparison to a levels, give it another few weeks and it'll be a breeze.
Reply 7
no, no.
in general* it IS easy.
for many subjects much of the content will already have been covered, presuming you took a related A level - degrees have to act under the pretense that you haven't done them though and thus many students end up recycling the things they did the previous year.

you might've ended up being one of the unlucky students who didn't end up in this situation.
PEMN, anecdotal evidence and all that.
Reply 8
You got that right! Uni's a slap in the face.
Actually it's not a lie if you go to a bad university. The course content is significantly wider and more complicated at better universities. If you think your course is easy, chances are you go to a bad university that caters to the lowest common denominator.
I keep seeing posters on here telling those in sixthform/college that uni is easier than alevels and I was fed the same lies before I started uni so entered with a 'first year is going to be a breeze' mindset. Oh how wrong I was. It will hit you like a ton of bricks if you have this mindset. IT IS NOT EASY and you'll actually miss doing alevels. Don't listen to those who say its easy.

That is all.

Spoiler

that's because you're just not that clever I'm sorry to say.

I missed lots of lectures and still got a 2.1. to be fair the entire undergrad program (at least for Arts) is quite easy, I sleepwalked my way to a 2.1

That's not to say coasting doesn't have it's downsides, you won't achieve much with that mindset, just enough.
I don't know how to compare A' levels and Uni tbh as both have their own challenges.

One thing is for sure: In Uni, 1st/2nd year is A LOT easier than 3rd/4th year.

My advice: Start studying daily (from the very first day) even if it's only 3 hours!
Its just a lot of work compared to alevels (and that was a lot!) and my motivation is so low atm

I remember crying during my first week of Uni. :lol: Don't be disheartened or intimidated so quickly. It takes time to adjust (about 3-4 months) as Uni is a whole new experience.
The transition from school to college is harder than from college to uni. That's probably what they meant. First year is reasonably easy, but it needs to be so you can learn about referencing and the course structure in general.
Original post by thisistheend
that's because you're just not that clever I'm sorry to say.

I missed lots of lectures and still got a 2.1. to be fair the entire undergrad program (at least for Arts) is quite easy, I sleepwalked my way to a 2.1

That's not to say coasting doesn't have it's downsides, you won't achieve much with that mindset, just enough.

Not to be rude... but how can you imply that she's dim because she works a lot? Just because you did Arts doesn't mean all other degrees are as easy as yours.

You have no right to say that to anyone
Life is NOT easy.

That is all.

Spoiler

I agree with you 100%
Reply 17
Completely depends on which course you do and where. I'm only a couple of weeks in and I've never worked so hard, A Levels were a joke compared to this.
It's harder than A levels but not that much, abd partly because A Levels are pretty light work wise. 3rd Year's a proper slog. Grad job's harder than Finals obviously, but you get paid.
(edited 9 years ago)
First year wasn't exactly easy, but not particularly hard either; i imagine alevels (never did them) would've been harder..

Quick Reply