The Student Room Group

Are automatic cars actually easier to drive?

as I cant imagine how not having to change gears makes a big difference..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't get any easier and you get very much used to it within days of owning one.
Why use an automatic when you can use a manual and also have the option to drive an automatic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Why use an automatic when you can use a manual and also have the option to drive an automatic

Posted from TSR Mobile

What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I found that automatic is easier because you don't have to worry about changing gears at roundabouts or traffic lights, and you don't have to worry about stalling and hill starts.
Like a toy, but there is a stigma that only women need an automatic license

If you do driving lessons with an automatic car you can only drive automatic cars once you pass your test assuming you haven't got a driving licence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
My car is automatic and i love it. I wouldnt go back to driving a manual. No worrying about hill starts,gear changes at roundabouts or junctions,no clutch up clutch down in traffic queues,just get in and go. My hubby drives a manual and loves driving my car when he gets the chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All men should drive manual cars
As the gearbox makes it feel more manly in my opinion:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillybop
Well I found that automatic is easier because you don't have to worry about changing gears at roundabouts or traffic lights, and you don't have to worry about stalling and hill starts.

Do you mean you don't need to worry about putting it in first (if you are stopping), or second? How difficult.
Reply 10
Automatic is easier, but learn in a manual so you can do both.

But Automatic, especially around town is bloody amazing. (On a decent auto box that is, probably not on a eurobox)
Driving an automatic definitely makes things easier, especially if you are driving for long periods in the city. My dad's a black cabbie and I doubt he'd like to be crawling around in traffic trying to balance the clutch for hours on end. That'd probably kill his leg by the end of the day. On motorways or just popping to the shops though, I doubt it'd make much difference in the grand scheme of things- I suppose after people have been driving manual for years it kind of becomes second nature.
Reply 12

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's just stupid.

You choose a transmission to suit the car. You wouldn't buy an automatic MX5 any more than you'd buy a manual Daimler.
my first cars were manuels. now i drive an automatic. i find that it is easier to not think about driving in the automatic, which is probably not a good thing.
I prefer autos by a mile - the whole driving experience is just more comfortable. That being said, you should always make sure you learn on a manual and get a full license so you have the option of driving both, for example if you need to hire a car and they're out of autos.

I prefer big auto cars, there's just something comfy and easy about them - like Qashqais or RAV4s
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
automatic is much easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

And when are you going to get your driving license? :P
Original post by XMaramena
And when are you going to get your driving license? :P

In two years time when I finish sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha lolz, you are commenting on what you prefer but you can't even drive.

I love forums.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trollolol so on other words you don't even have a car? You're too nervous to talk to girls and you're trying to state what makes a man?

Glad I put down my drink or it'd be all over the floor.

Quick Reply