The Student Room Group

Do you believe in the death penalty?

If so why

Scroll to see replies

Depends what the person did. I tend to be heartless when it comes to awful, awful crimes.
I always imagine myself in the victim's shoes; all the emotions of hate, anger, sadness etc... Can make an individual wish for an evil thing. Though I was speaking with some TSRians yesterday regarding this, and they said some pretty interesting things on why death isn't the answer. "Two wrongs don't make a right"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yes, especially for those crazy serial killers. I think so because it gives the family of the victim some consolation, I guess, because the person who ended the life of their loved one will also have their life ended.

I think anyone who says no when it's a hypothetical question would probably behave very differently if they knew the victim in anyway.
Absolutely.

No such thing as a reformed criminal.
Yes.

I will not exactly be shedding tears for serial killers, rapists or that guy who snapped his baby daughter's spine (after causing her months of pain) if they got the death penalty.
Reply 6
No, though personally I think its barbaric and the mark of an uncivilised society, my biggest reservation is that miscarriages of justice do happen and the death penalty is irrevocable.
Yess
Especially when the criminal is showing no remorse...so them crazy ass serial killers do deserve to die
No.

I don't believe a single word of this rubbish about how "it makes us as bad as them". There are undoubtedly plenty of scum who deserve nothing less than death.

The problem is the risk of killing someone who is innocent. Even if you just introduce it for cases where there is absolutely no doubt, it's a slippery slope and innocent people would get caught up in it eventually. I would rather have thousands of serial killers, rapists and other assorted scum allowed to live than kill one innocent person by mistake.

There is no such thing as a completely infallible justice system.
No. Death is the easy way out. Once they're dead all their suffering is over where as the victims/ their families never ends. Real life imprisonment with harsher conditions is better imo.

For lesser crimes-rehabilitation
In theory yes, in practice no.
No. I'm rather glad we have slave labour in prisons! Seems worse than death, aye ol' boy?!
Yes if:

- there is a VAST amount of evidence against them
- they are a reoffender for a major crime like murder (already given the chance to mend their ways but they didn't).

I want them dead because our prisons are a holiday for them. A holiday paid for by tax payers. Why should so much tax money go towards feeding these criminals when it could be used to improve schools, help the NHS... Etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
I believe death penalty is justified.

Spoiler

Original post by Alfissti
Absolutely.

No such thing as a reformed criminal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Abagnale
Original post by Lularose83
If so why

I believe in death penalty insofar, as its handled in some countries as judicial punishment, but I don't believe in a solution by death penalty, not to mention in justice.
I really don't mind - if we had the death penalty it wouldn't bother me one bit, but would I actively favour it? I wouldn't have the sympathy for the criminals to care - when we get a case post-legislation where an innocent person is later found innocent after being put to death, maybe then I'll care
Nope. It's primitive, expensive to implement properly, and it doesn't work as far as deterrence is concerned. Besides, human investigators are imperfect, so there's always the chance that the condemned is in fact, innocent.
No.

The death penalty is not an effective deterrent to further crime and does not save taxpayers money contrary to popular belief.

It merely appeals to the unsavoury desire for revenge and heaps additional suffering on the innocent families and friends who cannot simply abandon their emotion even if they want to.

It even creates martyrs out of terrorists and in essence condones state sponsored murder.
Original post by Arithmeticae
x

There is nothing to be added. I wonder how many innocent people were died by death penalty. I think its too much. Even if its clear at 100% that the offender is a murder, death penalty must be regarded as vigilantism. I would even say death penalty is a legitimate vigilantism where people can take revenge on somebody.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending