The Student Room Group

Social Work Vs Law

I am currently studying on an Access course, and the time has come to submit an application to UCAS.

I have interests in both subjects, and I am trying to come to a conclusion.

I have experience in both fields, but which one is the one for me? I can't make up my mind!

Law degree will probably get me a higher pay packet, and I find the Law exciting (believe it or not!) - but it may take me ages to get a job in this field?, and Social work I think I could make a difference in people's lives, and we very much need more social workers in the UK, but I will probably be stuck on a 30-35k salary for the rest of my life - but that said, the ladder is quick to climb and there's loads of jobs!

Things to consider; I have kids, married, have our own property etc? If these might affect anything?

Any pros/cons I may not have considered? Anyone studying these subjects that can give me some advice?

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Personally I think social work requires true ambition - work is rewarding but at the same time very demanding and that is why it's not for everyone! If you feel the calling, you should definitely pursue this career. But then, I am biased to say, as I have worked in the field for the past years and will begin to study MSc in Social Work next January :biggrin: One thing is for sure - we're not in this field for the money!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending