The Student Room Group

"Obese pregnant women should be sent to slimming classes'"- MPs

... and new mothers should be sent back to school to learn how to cook healthy meals for their children.

Does anybody else think this is a little bit patronising/ostracising?

Also... what about the fathers?

Scroll to see replies

Obese women are advised not to lose weight once they are pregnant, but to maintain their pre-pregnancy weight. I assume these classes would be based upon this fact, so to call them 'slimming classes' is unhelpful.

Also generally, I am repeatedly astounded by the ignorance that the general public has in regards to weight control. They will be happily sucked into gimicky products which give false promises, but are completely unaware of basic concepts like calorie control, TDE estimation and simple portion control.

In addition, it's a pretty well accepted theory that obesity is potentiated through generations because of lessons people learn as children, and by what they are fed growing up.

So yeah, overall, it's a good idea.
Reply 2
Of course it's patronizing, but there are certainly a few parents who would benefit from it, which is all the more worrying than this.

Obesity causes so many problems and exacerbates any health problems you may have, so no doubt the government and NHS are desperate to do anything that will make people healthier. Given that many people will pay less into the NHS than they take out I think the government has some right to dictate people's health, within reason.
Pregnant women are ugly. I plan to opt for a surrogate.

Pregnant women think that they're beyond criticism just because they're pregnant using it as a form of disability for why they get so fat.
I thought most women looked obese when they were pregnant?
I agree with you - this is ridiculous
people should have the right to live the lives they want to live so long as they don't harm others
meaning they should have the freedom to be fat, have surgical implants, or to be addicted to drugs/alcohol, or to be stick-thin, etc
If we did this, where would Peter Jackson get anyone to play trolls in his films?
It sounds like this is a health suggestion - in the same way as a doctor might recommend quit smoking courses. What on earth is wrong with that? There's nothing good about obesity and it definitely runs in families, so this would help the kids.
But re the school meals I agree - why only mothers?
Original post by Genocidal
I thought most women looked obese when they were pregnant?

I'm sure they'd know what a healthy pregnancy weight is and advise women who were obese by those standards.
Original post by zippity.doodah
I agree with you - this is ridiculous
people should have the right to live the lives they want to live so long as they don't harm others
meaning they should have the freedom to be fat, have surgical implants, or to be addicted to drugs/alcohol, or to be stick-thin, etc

That's the point though, an obese mother clearly doesn't know how to take care of herself, so how can she be expected to take care of her children without some form of help? That is the "harming others" part.
Patronising is talking down to people, but in this instance, it's levelling with them.
Reply 11
what is wrong with what he said ? being fat is a illness harsh but true
Jesus. Just take the kids away and return them fully-educated at 18 and all why don't you?
In my experience most women of all kinds would love to be sent to a free slimming class. I doubt anyone normal is going to fight for the right to be fat (a few internet campaigns aside).

Whether or not it should be compulsory is another matter.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Jesus. Just take the kids away and return them fully-educated at 18 and all why don't you?

Great idea! Stop the poverty/obesity cycle once and for all!
Original post by rich2606
That's the point though, an obese mother clearly doesn't know how to take care of herself, so how can she be expected to take care of her children without some form of help? That is the "harming others" part.

define "harm" and see where that goes in terms of many other activities parents subject their kids to these days
and obviously people can take care of themselves - we are a society of equally free individuals. we are not a society divided into the capable and the non-capable. we're all rational beings. at least that's the outlook a government should adopt. that's how a democracy works - putting trust in the intelligence of individuals.
Reply 16
What about obese pregnant guys though?
Something really needs to be done about our cycle of obesity- obese parents making obese children. I really think we need to crack down on this, I can't stand seeing obese families, it's neglect. But I don't think this is the right way to go about it.
Original post by ilem

Lol there's always one.
Original post by ilem

So typical of our society, pregnant males are free to do and eat as they please, but pregnant women still feel the societal pressures to be thin and attractive.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending